Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Pope introduces new sins Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zambimaru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:54 pm
Link To me this helps prove that "sins" are man made. So now every time someone drives to Church their sinning by polluting the air.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:35 am
Zambimaru
So now every time someone drives to Church their sinning by polluting the air.

I wouldn't mind if that encourages Catholics to start riding their bikes instead of driving after the introduction of the new "sins". xd (Hey, I can dream on, right? They can go to their mass and I'll go to Critical Mass.)

Anyway, I think this shows how "sins" are arbitrary. The list only has 14 items, but there are many other bad things that one can do. On what grounds does the Vatican decide what is a sin and what isn't?  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Redem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:05 am
I really doubt this is the work of the pope. Such proclamations are almost certainly the work of a small group of cloistered Bishops with no interaction with the real world outside of the news media.

Also, lol.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:44 pm
Hah, that pope, crazy as ever.

Sure, this might lead to more people riding bikes or using alternative fuels... ah hell, who am I kidding? What with the (slowly) increasing numbers of secularists in the world, I doubt many people will be paying attention to this S.O.B. Even the Catholics, and I mean the weekend Catholics not the loyalists, might not even listen to him.

Though, this might have lasting consequences... ********. D<  

CaprinaePsi

Arios V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:48 pm
I laughed when I heard this, it's just so ridiculous and further proves that they're making this sin stuff up as they go along. I'm still waiting for them to declare greed a sin. Oh wait...that'll never happen, I must have forgotten that the church is nothing but a bunch of greedy old farts who use false promises to milk people for money.

I really doubt anybody will take these seriously.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:56 pm
If people actually took the *original* list of deadly sins seriously, we'd be getting somewhere. This, however, is pushing silly.

Most sins in Christianity fall under the same realm as the FSM's "I'd really rather you didn't"'s, and some of these (like the environment, consumerism, and *****) make sense. With others, though, you can see the blindly-traditionalist view of the Papacy shining through. They speak against scientific experiments even on the informed and willing, and the idea embryos as having significant worth as life.

It's good that they're finally trying to catch up with the times.. but wow, do they have a long way left to go.

I wish the Vatican would hurry up and get things straight, really. Living in the southeast US, Roman Catholics actually tend to be some of the most progressive Christians around. Their services are still very ritual-oriented, and they're held back by a few old rules of Catholic doctrine, but over all they really are pleasant folks as a whole. It's a shame that the people who still call themselves their leaders are still stuck in this "FATHER KNOWS BEST, NOW SHUSH AND REPENT" mindset.  

Tenth Speed Writer

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:17 am
Arios V
I laughed when I heard this, it's just so ridiculous and further proves that they're making this sin stuff up as they go along. I'm still waiting for them to declare greed a sin. Oh wait...that'll never happen, I must have forgotten that the church is nothing but a bunch of greedy old farts who use false promises to milk people for money.

Exactly. Greed is already one of the original seven deadly sins... never mind that the church itself is full of greedy people. xd  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:18 pm
Why does this remind me of one of my History lessons?

Moving on, I've given up watching these people and their crazy antics. First they create laws against doing things with vehicles, and now they want to condenm the vehicle itself?

It still baffles me that a group of highly corrupt and wealthy individuals command the respect of thousands, when they themselves are probably committing the biggest infractions against the Bible and Christianity itself.

Sanguvixen

Arios V

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:20 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
Arios V

Exactly. Greed is already one of the original seven deadly sins... never mind that the church itself is full of greedy people. xd

Brings hypocrisy to mind doesn't it?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:49 pm
I live in the southeastern US too, and I agree that Catholics around here tend to be quite liberal-minded and tolerant, especially in comparison to most of the other christian groups. I think the Vatican is full of s**t, and can't understand why they'd jump from the previous Pope, who seemed like a much better person and a much more levelheaded leader, to this piece of s**t they have sitting in the chair now. The current Pope and other Vatican clergy are making a mockery of Catholicism, after they'd progressed so far from their historical oppressiveness.

The article mentioned some guy being in charge of plenary indulgences... it made my ears p***k a little bit... Weren't those a thing of long ago, done away with because of the dishonesty associated with them?  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:28 pm
Quote:
plenary indulgences... it made my ears p***k a little bit... Weren't those a thing of long ago, done away with because of the dishonesty associated with them?

A while ago, the church sold Indulgences in order to bring up enough money for expansive building projects.

Indulgences would pardon a person who is dead and in the purgatory of some sin, or help pardon a still living person of a sin that would cause them to go to the purgatory...or something along that line.

I thought they were outlawed too...because of dishonesty, as you mentioned. This is interesting....it's a step backwards really for the church.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:41 pm
Sanguvixen
Quote:
plenary indulgences... it made my ears p***k a little bit... Weren't those a thing of long ago, done away with because of the dishonesty associated with them?

A while ago, the church sold Indulgences in order to bring up enough money for expansive building projects.

Indulgences would pardon a person who is dead and in the purgatory of some sin, or help pardon a still living person of a sin that would cause them to go to the purgatory...or something along that line.

I thought they were outlawed too...because of dishonesty, as you mentioned. This is interesting....it's a step backwards really for the church.

Wait, did you say that indulgences help a dead person get out of purgatory? How does that even work? Although I'm guessing the person who bought the indulgence is a relative of the deceased. That's pretty messed up though.

I am surprised that they brought back indulgences, but not too terribly surprised. Just another "fine" way they milk money from people to pay for golden robes, sports cars and summer mansions in Maui.  

Arios V

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:04 pm
Arios V
Sanguvixen
Quote:

Wait, did you say that indulgences help a dead person get out of purgatory? How does that even work? Although I'm guessing the person who bought the indulgence is a relative of the deceased. That's pretty messed up though.

I am surprised that they brought back indulgences, but not too terribly surprised. Just another "fine" way they milk money from people to pay for golden robes, sports cars and summer mansions in Maui.

I was under the impression at least, that Indulgences cannot cure "eternal or mortal sins"...I'm not too well versed on it anymore. I stopped following up after the Roman Catholic Church.

I think people are supposed to go to the Purgatory to be cleansed or something...I really don't know anymore. I should go and re-research all of it. I hate that I have forgotten what I used to know on the subject.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:13 pm
ok, the curch is weakened... Kick it!  

SkeletonPhoenix

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:14 pm
Sanguvixen
Arios V
Sanguvixen
Quote:

I was under the impression at least, that Indulgences cannot cure "eternal or mortal sins"...I'm not too well versed on it anymore. I stopped following up after the Roman Catholic Church.

I think people are supposed to go to the Purgatory to be cleansed or something...I really don't know anymore. I should go and re-research all of it. I hate that I have forgotten what I used to know on the subject.

It's been a while since I learned about indulgences so I don't remember what they do and do not cover (although I believe they absolved you of even mortal sins, at least for like 10 days).

I never read up on Purgatory, but I do assume that it is like you said, a place where one can be cleansed of their transgressions after a certain period of time.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff