KISS don't need me, says Paul Stanley Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

HistoryWak
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:49 am
Take special note the bolded parts. Discuss..

Quote:
DEVIL'S advocate ... Paul Stanley says KISS is bigger than him.

PAUL Stanley may be made for loving you. Just not forever. As the 56-year-old singer/guitarist prepares to once again bring his band's glam-rock party to these shores, Stanley has some news which will leave KISS Army troopers shell-shocked.

The pouty-lipped, make-up clad Starchild confesses his touring days with KISS may soon be numbered.

"I really, firmly believe there will come a time when the band will continue without me," Stanley says. Shock. And yes, horror.

While this might have some fans shedding silvery-red tears over their vinyl editions of KISS's iconic Dynasty album, Stanley insists that his departure would not necessarily spell the end for the band. He believes he is entirely replaceable.

"Some people can't imagine it without me, but I'm here to tell you, I can. There is somebody out there with the same amount of passion and the same amount of drive," he says. "Which is not to say I wouldn't want to have creative control."

Certainly, KISS has changed its line-up over the years. Original members Peter Criss and Ace Frehley have been replaced, variously, by Eric Carr, Vinnie Vincent, Mark St. John and Bruce Kulick.

Currently, the band consists of Stanley, Gene Simmons, Tommy Thayer and Eric Singer.

But Stanley and Simmons, who formed the band in 1973, in New York, have always been the constants. Admittedly, Stanley's health has deteriorated over the years. He has had hip surgery and prior to a show in July last year was hospitalised with a rapid heartbeat. It was the first time KISS had ever performed as a three-piece.

In Stanley's eyes, at least, KISS is bigger than any one member of the band. Bigger than just a band, KISS is a philosophy.

"I think KISS is more about a point of view, about a respect for fans and about a loyalty and a direction much more than it is the people in the band," he explains.

"We don't follow the same rules as other bands. I can't live within the boundaries people set for me. I believe KISS is founded on something so solid that it will continue to live on, the way a football team continues.

"There have been great players, but there will always be other players."

But for the moment, Stanley is staying put. This definitely isn't any sort of farewell tour, if such a thing really exists.

He is excited to be coming back to Australia only a year after he was here as part of a solo tour for his album, Live To Win.

"At this point in my life I wouldn't do anything that wouldn't excite me," he says.

Stanley first toured with the band here in 1980. And he has had a love affair with the country ever since, an affection extending to KISS performing with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra in Melbourne in 2004.

"There have always been amazing women and friendships and amazing food and some of the best wines in the world," he says.

"Over the years people's expectations have just got higher. So when I go out there I want to make sure we are every bit living up to the legend of KISS.

"I think our fans understand how important it is for us to live up to what we have done in the past and making sure that nobody is disappointed. But they know we wouldn't be there unless we were going to deliver the goods."

The goods, in this case, happen to be a catalogue of hits including Rock and Roll All Nite, I Was Made For Loving You and Detroit Rock City, which have helped the band sell 90 million records worldwide.

There's no new stuff to speak of, apart from the KISSology DVD. But hey, as with most bands which trade heavily on nostalgia, who needs new material when you have the hits? Of course, the two calling the shots on stage are Stanley and Simmons. The pair have had their differences over the years and, at least from what is presented to the public, seem diametrically opposed personality types.

Stanley prefers the private life away from Kiss and has taken to painting.

Simmons has a burgeoning career outside the band as a reality TV star, having been the mentor on Rock School and the star of his own show, Family Jewels.

"I think we think of ourselves as brothers. Brothers means you can never get rid of each other, even when you want to," Stanley says. "We go about ourselves very differently. What we choose to put at the forefront or publicise is very different.

"Certainly, one of us spends quite a bit of time telling the world that he's the genius behind the band. This didn't happen because of a single person. It is the combustibility and the chemistry of people who don't necessarily view things from the same perspective which makes KISS."

Stanley says the common ground is definitely the group itself.

"We tend to put our egos aside when it comes to making decisions for the band.".

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:36 pm
Well, I must say I have been seeing this coming. Mind you, I figured that Paul or Gene were going to be slowing down sooner or later, however I did not imagine that they'd continue the band with either of them gone. If Paul leaves, then Gene would be the only original member. Would they have the new guy sing Pauls songs, I wouldn't really want to see a new guy taking on Paul role in the band. Paul, to me, seems like the leader of KISS. I mean, Gene definitely is too, but I can't imagine Gene staying with the band too much longer after Paul leaves. If that's the case, I don't know if I'd want to go to a concert with only Gene as a founding member, with a replacement singing most of the songs as Paul did.

This leaves me with mixed feelings.

And that last quote with "We tend to put our egos aside when it comes to making decisions for the band." I don't know if I totally agree with that statement. Ace and Peter pretty much hate Gene and his large ego. I have a feeling that a large chunk of the reason the band broke up in the first place was largely because of egos getting in each others way. And the farewell tour and the reunion tour crushed Ace and Peter's egos with the statement that they were only "guests." I really don't agree with that last statement at all.

But all in all, I'm gunna miss Paul. sad  

Chansey_is_Hot

KissFreakShandi
Vice Captain

Fashionable Conversationalist

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:56 pm
Although Gene may be the more iconic member of Kiss. Paul is definitely the heart and soul of the band. I can't see anyone filling his platform boots. I wouldn't go to a Kiss show with Gene and a Paul Stanley impersonator, because it just wouldn't be the same. sad  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:21 pm
KissFreakShandi
Although Gene may be the more iconic member of Kiss. Paul is definitely the heart and soul of the band. I can't see anyone filling his platform boots. I wouldn't go to a Kiss show with Gene and a Paul Stanley impersonator, because it just wouldn't be the same. sad

Totally agree. crying  

Chansey_is_Hot

2000Man

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:54 pm
Kiss has teased for years that the band would go on without Paul or Gene. I think Paul is just trying to drum up ticket sales and also make us feel lucky he is still around. I think Paul is also trying to make us feel better about there already being 2 replacements in the band  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:06 pm
nooooooooooooooooooo! not paul too! they already lost the original ace and peter! not paul too! crying T-T cry  

Rogue the Moonlight Vixen

3,900 Points
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100

Strutter Shandi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:52 pm
Chansey_is_Hot
KissFreakShandi

Totally agree. crying

Same here Paul is my fav so if he does get relplaced I wont go see just and KISS concerts no matter what (unless they regroup) and I'm talking Ace & Paul & Peter & Gene (well at least Paul & Ace)
Gene then there will be 3 replacements (wtf)
Why can't Gene quit!?
Noone has more heart & soul into KISS other than Paul  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:51 am
I really think they should quit right now, because I don't think anyone who is a true KISS-fan would go to their shows if either Paul or Gene was replaced. It's one thing doing a three man show without Paul because he's on surgery or having a heart attack, because that means he's still in the band. If they would replace him, they would loose so many fans so it wouldn't be worth doing more shows.
I totally understand if they are getting old and can't do great shows anymore, but then it's better they quit and get remebered as rock'n'roll heroes forever than just replacing eachtother and get remebered as a real bad band. I'm hardly listening to KISS now anymore since Eric Singer is wearing Peter Criss's make-up and outfit. If they replace Paul, they would definetaly loose me.

kokogik

Chatty Associate

21,490 Points
  • Lapin Patrol Haldus: Victory! 100
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

demon starfox

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:34 pm
NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! crying crying crying  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:01 am
if paul leaves then that will prob signal the end of kiss..which is why they got the nod for the hall in the first place. it will be sad to see them go...but somewhere along the line kiss will always live in the hearts and spirit of the entire world

i myself have seen KISS three times in my 24 year existance..it is truly an honor and a privlidge to grace the same holy grail they perform on night after night. to rock and roll all nite and party every day. this a lesson they bestowed on us since they got together. you could shout it out loud or call on dr love when u wanted too..but just remember this..they will always be hotter then hell but knowing that ui could call the firehouse anyday.. wahmbulance

Dante Knightwatcher
Major General Of The Kiss Army Since 1985  

Dante Knightwatcher

Pifflestick

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:44 pm
I think that KISS is bigger than just Paul and Gene. Its going to keep going for years. Heck, maybe Gene's son will take his place some day. KISS will be around for as long as they can find new blood and as long as people like women and partying.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:53 pm
he has to be suffering from momentary insanity. OF COUSRE KISS NEEDS PAUL STANLEY!!!! gonk  

demon starfox

Freebird4077

Dapper Sex Symbol

11,500 Points
  • Super Tipsy 200
  • Millionaire 200
  • Elysium's Gatekeeper 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:44 pm
KISS needs Paul Stanley.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:01 am
no its bad enough that we lost paul freehley and peter criss thankfully atlest they took eric singer back but tommy thayer has a little freehley sound to him but not enough now if stanley leaves we all know genes capitalistic enouth he will keep the band going by replacing him but the bandwill loose all its potential and fall off the face of the earth  

shes almost home

demon starfox

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:02 pm
the Band not needing Paul is like me not needing air. the band will die just like i would without air! gonk xp

Gene's great and all, but KISS with only 1 original band member would lose it's purpose.  
Main KISS Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff