Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Spray Bleach shirt dye

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Moshingyogi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:36 pm
Sooo, I saw a Craft magazine a few months ago where you make a design on a shirt by selectively bleaching it. You:
Make stencil out of contact paper
stick it to a colored shirt (you bleach white and you get white...)
spray a 50/50 bleach solution over it
let is sit for about 30 seconds
throw it in the wash immediately

and voila!! stencil of something cool on your shirt in splatery fun weird colors.

I made one (maybe post picture later) and I was pretty pleased. I put a pidgeon on it, I hearts the pidgeon. It was a black shirt that turned kind of brown after bleaching.

Any luck with this out there? Any colors that come out really cool? Adding anything else to the bleach?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:24 pm
I sprayed part of a pillow case with bleach by accident once a long time ago, then i 'saved' it by spraying it mostly evenly all over. the effect was...strange. but good.  

Minathia

Kingyo~goldfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:14 pm
WOW.
They put that old trick into a modern craft magazine?
I'm shocked and disappointed.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:19 pm
Kingyo~goldfish
WOW.

All ideas get recycled eventually, some of us remember them from decades ago and others don't. I'm really glad that these ideas keep going around the circle and get popular every so often.  

ForestGreen

Green Fairy

Kingyo~goldfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:32 am
ForestGreen
Kingyo~goldfish
WOW.

All ideas get recycled eventually, some of us remember them from decades ago and others don't. I'm really glad that these ideas keep going around the circle and get popular every so often.

But this never went away.
I mean, people have been doing this since at least the eighties, and people who arent even crafty do it all the time, so its doubly popular. It's a very mainstream thing to do, practically common knowledge.
I think it's a waste of print considering how many millions of people already know how to do it. They could have taken the time to be entrepreneurial at least a LITTLE bit.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:44 pm
Kingyo~goldfish
ForestGreen
Kingyo~goldfish
WOW.

I mean, people have been doing this since at least the eighties, and people who arent even crafty do it all the time, so its doubly popular. It's a very mainstream thing to do, practically common knowledge.
I think it's a waste of print considering how many millions of people already know how to do it. They could have taken the time to be entrepreneurial at least a LITTLE bit.

I think you're applying things that are common to where you live to things that are universally common. I can honestly say that i've only ever seen one person do that, and she was older and had always been crafting. She was making a quilt and needed different fabric then what she could find. I think its grossly unfair of you to talk like people should have always known about things just because you do.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Kingyo~goldfish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:25 am
kochi~mochi
Kingyo~goldfish
ForestGreen
Kingyo~goldfish
WOW.

I think you're applying things that are common to where you live to things that are universally common. I can honestly say that i've only ever seen one person do that, and she was older and had always been crafting. She was making a quilt and needed different fabric then what she could find. I think its grossly unfair of you to talk like people should have always known about things just because you do.

That's not even close to what I'm saying. It's not because I happen to know about it it's because nearly every crafter (and plenty of non-crafters) does.
and thanks.
I've lived in Dublin, Antoch, Baumholder, Idar Oberstein, Los Angeles, Long Beach, Lawton, San Fransisco, Kent and Paris.
And I can garentee you I've seen it in all of these places.
All over the world and at all stages of my life, that's gotta be coincidence, right?
All I'm trying to say is that there are specific places for recycled and rehashed craft ideas. They have thousands of their own websites and even magazines. The people who are getting paid to come up with new ideas and revolutionize the industry shouldn't be relying on things like this.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:53 pm
Alot of people nowadays forget about bleach as a crafting supply becayse they are not aware of how fibers and dyes react.

One of the best projects I have seen is a friend bought a cotton hooded sweatershit from a thrift store, and it had very apparent decorative stitching (in the same color as the shirt) at the seams and the edges. The thread was ployester; the shirt was cotton. Cotton takes dye and bleaches, polyester doesn't.

She bleached the shirt and then ran it through the wash with some rit dye in a contrasting color and ended up with a sweet sweatshirt that was one color, while all the stitching stood out (being another color)

As for whether or not it's dissappointing? Well, yes it is a recycyled idea, but not everyone realizes the scope of what they can do with simple household supplies. Think of the magazine like a dialogue or conversation between a group of writers and a crafting community. If you don't like the conversation don't get mad at other people for finding it interesting; just simply don't buy the magazine.  

YourAzureGoddess

Naughty Pants

Kingyo~goldfish

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:31 am
YourAzureGoddess
Alot of people nowadays forget about bleach as a crafting supply becayse they are not aware of how fibers and dyes react.

One of the best projects I have seen is a friend bought a cotton hooded sweatershit from a thrift store, and it had very apparent decorative stitching (in the same color as the shirt) at the seams and the edges. The thread was ployester; the shirt was cotton. Cotton takes dye and bleaches, polyester doesn't.

She bleached the shirt and then ran it through the wash with some rit dye in a contrasting color and ended up with a sweet sweatshirt that was one color, while all the stitching stood out (being another color)

As for whether or not it's dissappointing? Well, yes it is a recycyled idea, but not everyone realizes the scope of what they can do with simple household supplies. Think of the magazine like a dialogue or conversation between a group of writers and a crafting community. If you don't like the conversation don't get mad at other people for finding it interesting; just simply don't buy the magazine.

I also think that a lot of crafters have chosen to become more environmentally friendly in the last few years, which has lead to the use of artificial dyes and color strippers to die down.
And I agree about the last bit as well, all though I would like to point out that I certainly never got mad at anyone...
-_-
oh well  
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:04 pm
I've always seen how-to's on how to do bleach art, but I've hardly ever seen anyone wearing it. *shrugs*

I did a bleach job on an old pair of jeans -- I tied a string around the bottoms of the legs, hung them upside-down in my shower, and dripped bleach onto the hems with a plastic pipette. It came out kind of looking like flames (only white). Now, I just need to patch up a couple holes, and they can finally be wearable again (kind of).  

Castilleja

Sparkly Genius

9,850 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Timid 100

JJKo

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 8:20 am
I find it helpful that crafts magazines give reminders of easy tricks like this...I'd actually never heard of it before though I have friends who do the same thing with spray paint.

I'd really love to see some pictures of your guys' work with the bleach-spraying, think it would add a lot to the topic...  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:13 am
that's pretty cool..im going to try that!! lol xp  

ellayaxP

ellayaxP

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:16 am
plus, i agree with kochi~mochi, no offense kingyo, cuz how do u know that practically everyone knows that trick..i mean i didn't..i just no about it now..  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:44 pm
Oh, I know what you're talking about. :]
It's that miniature magazine where some guy shows his design with the stencil monster, right? XD

I was looking at that too.

Jazminny

Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces