Submit

ladycrotalus

Sparkly Gekko

7,225 Points
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:55 am
I am so bloody sick of people who want a plecostamus because they think it will clean their tank. And those who think they are poop eaters. And those who say they have alot of algae. PLECOS ARE CRAPPER FISH, NOT CLEANER FISH. THEY THEMSELVES POOP ALOT. PLECOS CANNOT LIVE ON JUST ALGAE, THEY DO NOT EAT POOP EITHER. THE REASON WHY YOU HAVE ALOT OF ALGAE WILL PROBABLY KILL YOUR PLECO!. In the wild plecos mainly eat leafy vegetation. They cannot survive on just algae, they need supplementation with algae wafers, spinach, cucumber, zucchini, shrimp pellets, driftwood/bog wood, and those dried algae sheets. A healthy aquarium isnt going to have that much algae.
I also want to hurt those who think that if they keep the pleco in a tiny tank it wont get any bigger. THAT IS THE SAME AS KEEPING A CHILD IN A CLOSET OR A LARGE BREED PUPPY IN THE CUBBARD UNDER THE BATHROOM SINK. Common plecos grow to 2 ft and should be allowed to do so. There are smaller species of plecostomus that are better suited to smaller tanks, they usually cost a little more but are well worth it. Bushynose plecos, and bulldog plecos only get 5 inches, while the clown pleco only gets about 3-4 inches.

http://www.petlibrary.com/fw_trop_plecostomus.htm

Soon Plecos will be outlawed, here is a picture of a 4 lb pleco caught down in florida where they aren't native evil
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I have a 8 inch common pleco that some guy was gonna release here in upstate new york because it was no longer doing his "job". scream  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:51 pm
I heart plecos  

Kyle Von Helson

Fable Fae

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:42 pm
Unless someone loves Plecos and wants one because they want to own a Pleco because it is a great fish, they probably shouldn't ever own one.

People need to realize that there is no quick-fix for a filthy aquarium by adding yet another animal. Without doing their part to maintain that closed environment, their animals are going to be miserable and eventually die. And then they are going to be miserable because they are going to have a humongous Pleco on their hands that they can neither flush nor eat.

I was in Walmart one time looking to rescue a fish and there was a man there who honestly thought that Plecos would eat all the poop in your tank and keep it clean. It was the first time I had ever heard anyone say that, and I was just so flabbergasted at the idea of an animal surviving off of eating another animal's feces I just couldn't even reply. How on earth does one figure that such a thing is possible? confused  
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:08 am
I thought that i had posted on this topic. Yes i agree that people are stupid when it comes to certain fish. Plecos are a fish that needs a big aquarium and don't always eat algae all the time.
By the way i have two kinds that i love, they will be small and stay small. They are a clown pleco and two bristolnose plecos.  

55G FreshWater

Pyfe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:52 am
I knew what I was getting into when I bought Chupa. He was so tiny, only a couple inches! Now he's sitting at 7 inches in my 30 gallon. I lurv him the most. He's seen two years worth of swordtail generations come and go, and every time my smaller tank gets algae-crusted, I plop him in there for the night (I don't have to worry about water quality change--the water is exactly the same).

What other veggies can I feed him? Zucchini and cucumber are not his favorites... Would lettuce work?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:06 pm
Now i have three that will all stay small, a clown a golden one (maby bristol but not shure) and a common bristol nose.  

55G FreshWater

BluDragon35
Vice Captain

Wealthy Sex Symbol

7,200 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:50 pm
I absolutely adore plecos!!!!! My fav is the zebra peckolita, and I've been searching forever for one. I recently saw a tiger pleco for sale and I'm thinking of picking it up. whee

Go plecos!!!!!!

And yes, you must know what you're getting into or else there'll be trouble. The ones that stay small are super duper sensitive to water conditions.  
----::::The FISH Tank::::----

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games