Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Chinese is so much fun! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shokai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:59 pm
Eh, yeah I hope you dont think Im weird.

I really like Chinese language ESPECIALLY the writing!

But sometimes I think that I should hide my knowledge away from other Chinese because they might think I am intruding into their culture. Some though are happy to know that someone else is learning and making an effort to know about their culture.

One of my ex-friends, who is Chinese HATED her culture. So I felt that she was shutting the door.

I took Japanese, and I have a knack for Chinese characters (kanji). One time at the Asian gifts and food store, I was asking the lady in English if she had something particular that I was looking for and she did not understand me. So I wrote the object down using Chinese characters and she understood me.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:35 pm
Yah, chinki-language is definitely fun...except when you're learning it. It's a b***h of subject. Luckily I'm already past that stage.  

cold_blooded_chick

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:54 pm
Well, I for one am glad that you're making the effort. (: I don't think anyone would find it that you're "intruding" on Chinese culture, that's just.. weird -__-" why did your friend hate Chinese culture? >__>;;

Writing is.. xP mine is so crap now that I haven't been in China for ages.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:00 pm
I just have to figure out how to install the Chinese typewriter.

My friend is Chinese and she hated her own culture. I would think she was probably "whitewashed".

@Cold Blood

I would love to take on this challenge even if it is bitchy biggrin  

Shokai

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:07 pm
Mine came with the MS Office pack, I think. Lots of people use Nanjixing, which is said to be quite good. (:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:52 am
I don't know what I use. Just type pinying and it comes out. neutral

According ot my friends, fastest way to learn to watch drama. Lots of it.  

cold_blooded_chick

[Queen of Spades]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:18 pm
I understand what you mean by intruding.
Because sometimes, when you try something like trying to learn Japanese from a book.
I personally think that action is ridiculous.
So I personally find these people I don't want to be around.

And then if you're trying to speak Chinese with blood-Chinese people.
They would either give you a weird dirty look
or they would enjoy talking to you.

It's cool that you want to learn the culture.
:]  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:34 pm
@Shokai: I take it that you aren't Asian, let alone Chinese. Then studying Chinese would be especially difficult for you. Not only would have to get past the extremely complex way of writing and speaking, and memorize tens of thousands of characters, but then there's the 5000 years of history and culture you need to get around to even begin to speak like a Chinese, such as myself, normally would.

I think writing Chinese is easier than speaking it when you start out. It's easier to learn how to write characters and memorize them when you don't have preconceived notions in your head. For someone like me however, I find it extremely difficult to write or read Chinese again.  

Minielf

a- K0KO-

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:54 pm
That's interesting.
I've seen people who weren't chinese at all but the words that slick out of their tongue are even better than how I can talk..that slick.
I hope you can be successful in learning chinese and all, because it is a hard language.

Can you write kanji well? XD;;
I was born and raised in china until I was almost 9, then I moved to an english speaking country and forgot most of them.
Reading, typing and speaking are fine though. Don't know how it worked out that way. xD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:00 pm
blaugh You can do it!!!,
sweatdrop I thought Kanji was only Japanese!?  

berryscary1

cold_blooded_chick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:19 am
a- K0KO-

I was born and raised in china until I was almost 9, then I moved to an english speaking country and forgot most of them.
Reading, typing and speaking are fine though. Don't know how it worked out that way. xD
That's similar to me! surprised  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:23 am
"Kanji" = 汉字 (think about the pronunciation). When you see random Chinese characters in Japanese, that's kanji. So no, it's not Japanese, because they stole it D<

I think Westerners find the different tones really hard to understand.. many of my friends think they all sound the same @__@;; and without exception, none of them can do third tone. xD

Niphz
Crew

Minielf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:31 pm
Japanese Kanji isn't exactly like chinese characters. There's some definite differences between the two that make it hard for a normal Chinese to easily read Japanese based on Kanji alone.

Niph: You're right about Western people struggling to pronounce Chinese words correctly. I always find it funny whenever white people try to say Chinese words. They always make a fool of themselves doing so. Only a few westerners have managed to speak Mandarin in the way that normal Chinese would.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:30 pm
lol, I do hate the third tone. I found that listening to vocab on a mp3 player works pretty well though.  

berryscary1

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:47 am
berry, I thought you were Chinese? Shouldn't you, uh, not have problems with tones? xD

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff