Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Belief versus Knowledge: Class is now in session

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you a
  Theist
  Weak Atheist
  Strong Atheist
View Results

Rick Dawkins

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:20 pm
There's a huge disconnect between real definitions and street definitions for terms like atheist and agnostic. I thought I'd lay the groundwork.

mrgreen Belief:

Theists accept a claim as true.
Atheists are everyone else:
- Weak Atheists are anyone who just lacks belief in claims. Babies are weak atheists, they have no notion of theistic claims
- Strong Atheists actually refute those claims, there's a difference

Example: In criminal cases the verdict is either "guilty" or "not guilty," so if you doubt even a little that the suspect is "guilty" or you think they're innocent, you still have to rule "not guilty." Most people will use the term Agnostic on the street to say that they're not sure what they believe, which brings me to my next point.

stressed Knowledge:

Gnostics think we can know that God exists through personal experience and revelation.
Agnostics think we can't know or prove a particular claim. Agnosticism has nothing to do with what you believe and everything to do with what you think we can know.
Ignostics say we have to define our terms before discussing claims
Apathetic Agnostics don't care if we can or can't know

Example: I refute belief in Thor, but I'm not sure we can prove away his existence entirely so I'm a strong atheist agnostic in terms of Thor. I refute Christianity, I'm not sure we can prove away God's existence yet, and I also say it would be horrible if their claims were real. I'm a strong atheist agnostic, and an anti-theist with regard to the Christian God. talk2hand  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:40 pm
I'm an anti-theist as well. Theism is what'll destroy this planet some day unless we can somehow beat it out of everyone.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:52 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
I'm an anti-theist as well. Theism is what'll destroy this planet some day unless we can somehow beat it out of everyone.

Or unless someone worth their salt can start manipulating it.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:15 pm
I have to say I love Christopher Hitchens, we disagree on some aspects of the Iraq war, but otherwise I agree almost entirely with him on a ton of stuff. I think he's really the one that began to champion the term "anti-theist." I found a talk he did on his book that was pretty good. What a damn good speaker.

Authors@Google: Christopher Hitchens

cheese_whine Here's to you Hitchens, you brilliant and drunk b*****d cheese_whine  

Rick Dawkins

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:22 pm
Strong atheist agnostic and anti-theist (hey, we should make a club... wait, we already did!).

Sure, I am of the opinion that no one can prove anything about religion except for what is physical and its effects on people, but when it comes to what I believe, I don't believe in s**t. I'll accept that possibility of some kind of "force" (no, not THAT force) "exists" and we can not nor could we ever hope to explain it, but when it comes to the traditional definition/image of a god/goddess, NO.
As George Santayana once said, “My atheism, like that of Spinoza, is true piety towards the universe and denies only gods fashioned by men in their own image, to be servants of their human interests.”

As for the anti-theism bit: the time for religion is over, nothing good can come out of its continued existence and anything it does offer (community, emotional help, etc) is offered by a million other groups.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:59 pm
I love Spinoza, and I completely agree with that quote. We may not be able to disprove the existence of A supreme being, but we can rip the Christian god to shreds since they've had over 2000 years to add all kinds of conflicting attributes and ideas to him (because we all know the Christian god is a HE).

Religious societies lead to more teen pregnancies, higher infant mortality rate, higher STD infection rates, higher violent crime rate, etc:
http://moses.creighton.edu/jrs/2005/2005-11.html

Screw it, I'ma post this in a new thread too.  

Rick Dawkins

Teoka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:46 pm
Strong atheist and anti-theist right here heart

I know for damn sure that the Abrahamic (Christian/Jewish/Islamic) God isn't real, and neither are the other deities that man has created. Theism will be the downfall of the world, if it already hasn't been.

If only Christopher Hitchens were President...

((I'm working on building my position that there isn't a God PERIOD. If anyone can help me with that, let me know!!))  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:54 am
I'm such a strong atheist I make firewine look like thinned water.  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff