Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
I'm not going to title this. I can't. It wouldn't be right.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Reese_Roper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:29 pm
Author's Note:
This is not a pro-war or anti-war piece. This has nothing to do with politics. I don't care if you support the war or not. Support our troops, who have left behind families who spend their days awaiting their return and dreading the knock the door.

“Six Marines died today in an explosion-”

“Gace! Gace!”

Grace flicked off the T.V. as the little boy flew into the living room. The last thing she wanted was to have to explain the horrifying scenes that flashed upon the screen. She turned to her little brother, ignoring the familiar pang as she recognized those big blue eyes, that feathery blond hair, those full lips, and that button nose. “What’s up, Nicky?”

“Gace, you gotta come see what I made!” Nicky cried, grabbing her arm and tugging towards the steps.

She heaved herself off the couch, but stood her ground, “Not ‘til you say my name right. Grace. Grrrace.” Though he had mastered all other phonetic combinations, the four-year-old still had trouble with his “R” sounds within words, accenting them when he concentrated and leaving them out completely when excited. “Remember, you’ve got to practice so you can impress Daddy when he gets home.”

Nicky screwed up his nose, but purposefully proclaimed, “Grace. Grace, Grace, Grace.”

“Good job,” she praised, submitting to his resumed attempts to get her to follow.

He brought her up to his room, where a large Lincoln log cabin was settled in the middle of the floor amongst an array of toy planes. He plopped himself next to it, dragging Grace down with him.

Picking up a plastic helicopter, he exclaimed, “Guess what, Gace! I figgered it all out! Ya see, Daddy’s gonna land his hellatopper on top’a the house, and ‘cause the roof is pointy the hellatopper’ll slide down and land on the gass, and Daddy’ll jump out and we’ll all run outta the house and Daddy’ll hug you and me and Mommy and then we’ll all go and watch your skatin’ thingy!”

Grace forced a laugh and a smile to hide her breaking heart. She knew it wasn’t a good idea to encourage her brother’s hopes that their father would get home in the two days left before her recital, but she couldn’t bring herself to destroy his little boy dreams. “I know if he’d land the copter on the roof, Nicky,” she teased instead, trying to seem amused. “It might cave in under the weight.”

He beamed up at her, undaunted. “It’d still be neat, though, don’t ‘cha think, Gacie?”

“Yeah, buddy. It’d be real neat.” Utterly impossible, but heart wrenchingly neat.

Nicky looked out the window every ten minutes for the next two days, practicing his R’s every chance he got, but no helicopter, roof-landing or otherwise, appeared. Grace went through her recital flawlessly, and fell asleep that night with thoughts of lutzes and salchows, the crisp swish of sharpened blades against freshly Zambonied ice and the rush of a standing ovation.

And then a touch that had nothing to do with skating.

Her eyes fluttered open.

“Daddy?” She struggled to clear her sleep fogged mind.

“Hey, princess.”

“You missed my show.” Not the most poignant of things to say at such a reunion, but she was still stuck in surprise-mode.

“Nah, baby. Don’t you know? I was there the whole time. Wouldn’t have missed it for the world.”

“Why didn’t you tell me when you called last week you were coming home?”

“I didn’t know myself ‘til it happened. Then it all went so fast.

“I love you, my amazing Grace. I’m proud of you –for taking care of your mom and brother, for staying strong through it all.”

“Daddy… I–”

A car door slammed. Grace’s head shot off her pillow. The drugged feeling was gone. It’d been a dream. And yet so, so real.

She pulled back the curtain. It was just after dawn. She looked out into the street and the world froze.

She slid out of bed and drifted dreamlike through the hall and down the stairs. She opened the door before the knock could come. They asked for her mother, but she refused. She owed her mother that much, that she hear it from her. She heard without listening. She closed the door without a word and turned around.

Little Nicky stood at the top of the steps.

“Daddy’s plane’s isn’t gonna land in the yard now, is it, Gracie?”  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:58 pm
This is so true. cry  

Serenity Reed
Crew

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:07 pm
*sadnezz*

*sob* crying That was beautiful.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:46 pm
T.T That was really sad, I loved it, but it was sad.

I noticed only one small error "but she couldn’t bring herself to destroy his little boy dreams".

Other than that you did a great job smile  

[.Disposable Dweeb.]

in the flicker.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:08 pm
this is startlingly realistic. i could...really see it in my head.

nice job.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:52 pm
That was... wow... emotional... crying

And I agree with you on the war thing. Whether you support the reason that we're there or not (I do... but I won't go into that) at least support the people that put their lives on the line everyday.  

BlackHawkGS

Reese_Roper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:58 pm
I wrote this as the daughter of an Airman and the sister of a Marine. My father came back (though not from Iraq) a cripple and my brother came back a changed young man.

Though I have no personal military death experience to draw from, I do have the memory of the day my grandfather, a fireman, died. Not exactly the best night of my young life. I still have nightmares about that car pulling into my driveway.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:10 pm
crying

My daddy is a fireman....  

KirbyVictorious

Xahmen
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:37 pm
Good story, the kid not being able to pronounce "Grace" gave it a lot more heart than I expected.
TOO SHORT, make more. wink  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:18 am
User Image

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

That was so beautiful. The boy not being able to pronounce his Rs gave it more realism.
I almost cried, which is bad because I'm in the middle of class right now. crying

I agree with you though. Whether or not you support the war, we should support our troops and their families.

User Image

blu_sour_skittle

Blessed Bloodsucker

7,000 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Bunny Hoarder 150

Adorkable Monster

Friendly Citizen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:40 pm
absolutely nothing i would change abou this ^_^ it is absolutely beuatiful. A work of art in its own wat ^_^ Its sad and meaning ful to almost anyone who reads it. *thumbs up*  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:23 am
Oh my god, simply amazing...!
Though I only knew Gace, er, Grace...! For such a little amount of time, I grew instently attached to her and her brother when I heard the way their dad was gonna be in the helicopter and land on the roof then slide off into the grass, which was a really cute idea!

;~;

Whenver I see the Support our troops sign, I get confused as to what it means exactly, but obvisously, the main reason is to just be there for them.

Oukow

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff