Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"If God is the Co-Pilot of your life...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:00 pm
Switch Seats."

Every day now for about a week, on my way to and from class I see this sign at the side of a Baptist Church. Every single time I see it I think the same thing.

What I think is "That if your God is the pilot of your life, switch seats". Then I think, "If you don't you are going to crash"...following the analogy to the airplane of course.

Think about it though, that is part of the problem with some people out there and with some religions. See rather than let their religion be a guide, they let it rule them entirely.

To follow the original analogy, if you are co-pilot of an airplane, and your pilot is someone you cannot see, hear, touch, or feel, you are going to have some problems reaching your destination. Lack of communication leads to big boom somewhere down the road.

Now some people counter that they can talk to their god, and that they have text that convenes his will. But...isn't praying akin to sitting there as the plane goes down and hopeing the pilot who isn't there suddenly appears out of nowhere and stops the plane from crashing?

Isn't the text itself an outdated book for a plane that is obsolete and never driven. I mean do you really want to try to co-pilot a brand new Boeing 787 when your manual is for driving the Original Wright Brother's first successful aircraft?

It sounds a bit silly doesn't it?

I mean, if anything a person should treat their deity and related religious text as a co-pilot of their lives. The individual needs to be flying the plane of their life. The text itself shouldn't be used as the only basis for morality either.

I mean, if you want to use something like the Bible, you have to realize that part of it is really outdated. It was not meant for 20th century life. Some of it might still apply, for example some of the rules stated are good for preventing a society from collapsing into chaos and thus bringing about it's own extinction.

You cannot have people stealing and killing left and right like some video-game. Society will fall apart...and to stay together it needs some form of order.

But, anyone care to divorce their spouse and tell the judge that they cannot attend a preset court-date because their wife is on the rag?

Does anyone really want to rally to end the law against Bestiality in some places just because one of the sacred text clearly states it is okay to fornicated with sheep on Wednesday?

I'd like to see the parent (well not really) stupid enough to stone his/her kid to death for disobedience and claim to the law that it is alright because the Bible says it is okay.

See where I am going? Anyway what are your thoughts about all of this? Anything related to the above will do as discussion. This is something that has been chewing away at me for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:21 pm
Does the sign say "Pilot," or does it say "Co-pilot," because you confused me by using both. If the sign says "Co-pilot" then it may be suggesting that YOU are already the pilot.  

Squidicide

Squidicide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:29 pm
In reference to everything else you said, sure. If the sign said PILOT, then that was a stupid metaphor. Most contemporary metaphors aren't meant to be taken so in-depth anyways, but metaphor aside, I do agree with your philosophy on not letting religion lead your life. And yes, the whole point of religion (Christianity, at least) is to give people a guideline for morality, and perhaps to provide some hope when all is going downhill. Unfortunately, most people take it so literally it's frustrating and stupid, but I suppose it's all a matter of interpretation. I suppose people who believe in it really would want to do what it said (Holy-rollers and Jesus-freaks). My family doesn't go to church or walk around preaching to strangers and making themselves look like self-righteous assholes, but they are Christian in the sense that they try to follow the guidelines for behaviors in the Bible. Don't get me wrong, I am an Atheist, despite my family's orientation.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:22 pm
MaddHattre
Does the sign say "Pilot," or does it say "Co-pilot," because you confused me by using both. If the sign says "Co-pilot" then it may be suggesting that YOU are already the pilot.

It says that "If God is your co-pilot than you should switch seats." I take it or interpret it as meaning that if you are the pilot of your own life, you need to give up that position to "God", and take on the role of co-pilot.

Does that make better sense?

Maybe I am taking it a bit too deep...but than again after what happened today between me, and a friend and some overly religious people at my school it just made me think about it even more.

I'm still pissed about today but I'll get over it...I think.

Sanguvixen

Voiredire

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:29 pm
You seriously should see if they have one of those weekly open house bible study thingys & ask them about this. However I have to point out that Christians believe that the Bible does convey their God's will even if most of them know it isn't to be taken as 100% literal. Somewhere I kind of lost the link between the airplane analogy and having sex w/ sheep on Wednesdays...

p.s. Also, good luck telling them that they're only hoping for God to show up and stop a crash when they believe that they know he will. xp

p.p.s. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the logic behind what you said, but right now your arguments about a lack of communication aren't going to convince a lot of hardcore theists to see things your way.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:11 am
There is a difference between the old testament and new testament. wink With the coming of christ, things changed and there are reasons within the Bible why christians do not follow all the rules of the old testament. Perhaps do a little research about old testament law and the new covenant, I can't explain this stuff in detail anymore but I know there is a way to justify the change xP

I do agree about the basic contradictions you bring up. It was always extremely tricky to me to have to make a distinction between relying on God and trusting in him and then also being taught the mindset that 'God helps those who help themselves.' D; Maybe this will explain the 'logic.' You pray to God and he will give you the strength to deal with your problems. You will stop the airplane crash from happening because God gave you the strength and courage to do it. You have to let God 'be in control'.... It's ten million little empty phrases that just make sense if you believe.

And don't forget that God knows better. We can't comprehend his master plan after all. burning_eyes  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:51 pm
BulletForMyValentine32
You seriously should see if they have one of those weekly open house bible study thingys & ask them about this. However I have to point out that Christians believe that the Bible does convey their God's will even if most of them know it isn't to be taken as 100% literal. Somewhere I kind of lost the link between the airplane analogy and having sex w/ sheep on Wednesdays...

p.s. Also, good luck telling them that they're only hoping for God to show up and stop a crash when they believe that they know he will. xp

p.p.s. Don't get me wrong, I agree with the logic behind what you said, but right now your arguments about a lack of communication aren't going to convince a lot of hardcore theists to see things your way.

I made a promise to myself a long time ago (or so it seems) to never ever step inside another church. I will hold myself to that because I hate the places.

I'm not interested in telling people the flaws in their logic. I let them figure it out for themselves.

As for the part where you got lost. God is the pilot in a sense. The book is where his directions come from. Therefore the morality pushes in the book are his words in a sense. However those words area bit out-dated. Hence I brought up some of the outdated things that the book pushes as Okay. Does that clarify things at all?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:58 pm
caustic 0_0
There is a difference between the old testament and new testament. wink With the coming of christ, things changed and there are reasons within the Bible why christians do not follow all the rules of the old testament. Perhaps do a little research about old testament law and the new covenant, I can't explain this stuff in detail anymore but I know there is a way to justify the change xP

I do agree about the basic contradictions you bring up. It was always extremely tricky to me to have to make a distinction between relying on God and trusting in him and then also being taught the mindset that 'God helps those who help themselves.' D; Maybe this will explain the 'logic.' You pray to God and he will give you the strength to deal with your problems. You will stop the airplane crash from happening because God gave you the strength and courage to do it. You have to let God 'be in control'.... It's ten million little empty phrases that just make sense if you believe.

And don't forget that God knows better. We can't comprehend his master plan after all. burning_eyes

That there is a difference between the new and old versions is not new knowledge to me. However even in the new version, there are outdated ideas that you cannot perpetuate in today's society without ending up in jail.

Hmmm...I wonder if that church pushes for it's flock to pray and wait, or pray and then do something? Either way that sign's words disturb me. I suppose since I am not interested talking to people in that church about it, there is no point on dwelling on it.

I still say the closest thing we have to an all-knowing deity is Google.

Sanguvixen

CaprinaePsi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:59 pm
Sanguvixen
caustic 0_0

That there is a difference between the new and old versions is not new knowledge to me. However even in the new version, there are outdated ideas that you cannot perpetuate in today's society without ending up in jail.

Hmmm...I wonder if that church pushes for it's flock to pray and wait, or pray and then do something? Either way that sign's words disturb me. I suppose since I am not interested talking to people in that church about it, there is no point on dwelling on it.

I still say the closest thing we have to an all-knowing deity is Google.

Blessed be to Google.

Yes, that's all I have to say.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:04 pm
"...jump out of the plane." lol

I've been wanting to post that for a bit.

But in all seriousness, I think you all have nailed it. There's that, and there's "God helps those who help themselves" x_x They need to pick their advice and stick to it.  

Teoka

Koravin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:42 pm
I see these as another way for Christians to shift blame and responsibility onto God, rather than taking control of their own lives. This irks me to no end.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:18 am
Teoka
"...jump out of the plane." lol

I've been wanting to post that for a bit.

But in all seriousness, I think you all have nailed it. There's that, and there's "God helps those who help themselves" x_x They need to pick their advice and stick to it.

Why not? There are snakes on the plane! Snakes on the plane!

That was my favorite line in Beowulf, when one of the people suggest to pray to the new roman god "Christ Jesus", and the king says no because "The gods will not do for us what we can do for ourselves"...or something like that.

Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 am
Koravin
I see these as another way for Christians to shift blame and responsibility onto God, rather than taking control of their own lives. This irks me to no end.

It depends upon how they interpret it. If they are pray to have strength and then go try to do something...that is better than praying, and waiting for that something to be done all of it's own accord.

The latter part, can be irksome. It's a waste of time, if anything.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:29 pm
Sanguvixen
BulletForMyValentine32

I made a promise to myself a long time ago (or so it seems) to never ever step inside another church. I will hold myself to that because I hate the places.

I'm not interested in telling people the flaws in their logic. I let them figure it out for themselves.

As for the part where you got lost. God is the pilot in a sense. The book is where his directions come from. Therefore the morality pushes in the book are his words in a sense. However those words area bit out-dated. Hence I brought up some of the outdated things that the book pushes as Okay. Does that clarify things at all?

Hate churches? I can understand just not wanting to go to one again, but that's a little extreme. Although I believe religion is false, the Church has done a few good things in the world (ever heard of people like Bishop Romero from El Salvador?). I'd go hating ex-nazi popes and annoying televangelists instead the religion as a whole.

I'd probably say the same.

But the book isn't where his directions come from. Christians (most of them at least) realize that the Bible was written by people, not their God, and those people, being people, aren't perfect and didn't claim to be writing words that came directly from God's will.  

Voiredire

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:24 pm
BulletForMyValentine32
Sanguvixen
BulletForMyValentine32

Hate churches? I can understand just not wanting to go to one again, but that's a little extreme. Although I believe religion is false, the Church has done a few good things in the world (ever heard of people like Bishop Romero from El Salvador?). I'd go hating ex-nazi popes and annoying televangelists instead the religion as a whole.

I'd probably say the same.

But the book isn't where his directions come from. Christians (most of them at least) realize that the Bible was written by people, not their God, and those people, being people, aren't perfect and didn't claim to be writing words that came directly from God's will.

My reasons are not unbased...you see.

I hate churches because of the abuse I went through while attending them as a kid. Maybe hate is an extreme word but when a church beats the crap out of the kids for asking questions...there is something extreme going on there too.

Church has nothing but bad memories for me, which is why I refuse to step inside them.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games