Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Just a reminder.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Poll.
  Pretentious b*****d +1
  Not entirely stupid +1
View Results

Squidicide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:19 pm
This only applies to you if you didn't know that Atheism only strictly refers to disbelief in any sort of god, not necessarily other beliefs:

Stop being pretentious dumbasses.

If you don't go around arguing that Atheism implies that you don't believe in anything supernatural, then good for you.

If you do - Go ******** yourself.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:37 am
Well, I am an Atheist
and i dont believe in anything supernatural
but i never say that they have a direct link (Although they do have alot to do with each other)

But whenever i say im an atheist, people assume that i dont believe in the supernatural... i think that its just that people think that if you dont beleive in god, then of course you wont believe in ghosts and werewolves and crap like that.  

Throwaway243

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:31 pm
Well I don't believe in any sort of God, I.E., I'm an atheist (A really strong one) and I don't believe in the supernatural. I don't tie it to atheism however.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:16 pm
Well I'm an atheist, but I tend to lean more towards animism (belief in spirits). I do kinda believe in the supernatural, but only in what can be proven to exist, but can't be explained.  

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50

Xiporah

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:25 am
I have a ghost phobia. I can't watch those ghost hunter shows on TV without lying awake with the lights on.

So I guess I believe in supernatural, but not in god.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:00 am
God = supernatural, supernatural = bullshit. If you can believe in mystical entities but then go and dismiss the idea of God when God exists on the same terms as anything else that's supernatural, then you're fooling yourself. Atheism may pertain to the disbelief in God and not in the supernatural but it might as well apply to both. They're both bullshit and don't exist anywhere but within your own imagination.  

Reichkovich

Levis Pennae

Dapper Citizen

6,400 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:38 am
Reichkovich
God = supernatural, supernatural = bullshit. If you can believe in mystical entities but then go and dismiss the idea of God when God exists on the same terms as anything else that's supernatural, then you're fooling yourself. Atheism may pertain to the disbelief in God and not in the supernatural but it might as well apply to both. They're both bullshit and don't exist anywhere but within your own imagination.

The supernatural and god do not go hand in hand. God is part of theism, and theism is the belief that there are forces that control us and our world, but we cannot control anything other than asking 'pretty please'. The other kind of supernatural would be animism, the belief in spirits and the like. In this there can be an almost unlimited amount of spirits, and in most cases man can control them just as much as they can control us. An excellent example of this would be voodoo and shamanism. In these religions the supernatural is controlled by the actions of men/women in beneficial and harmful way. So, yes you can dismiss god and still except the supernatural.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:23 pm
Reichkovich
Avoir Le Retour...

Huzzah.
...Les Adieux

Aaron Lee Morrison

Reichkovich

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:49 pm
Levis Pennae
Reichkovich

The supernatural and god do not go hand in hand. God is part of theism, and theism is the belief that there are forces that control us and our world, but we cannot control anything other than asking 'pretty please'. The other kind of supernatural would be animism, the belief in spirits and the like. In this there can be an almost unlimited amount of spirits, and in most cases man can control them just as much as they can control us. An excellent example of this would be voodoo and shamanism. In these religions the supernatural is controlled by the actions of men/women in beneficial and harmful way. So, yes you can dismiss god and still except the supernatural.
... So what you're saying is that there are two wildly opposing divides in the realm of the supernatural: theism and non-theism. Bullshit, the supernatural is supernatural whether it's theistic or non-theistic. Come on, check out a dictionary if don't believe me. God and spirits fit into the SAME realm of the supernatural, that realm being bullshit. In fact, looks to me like you choose to believe in spirits because they're in a way more philosophically pleasing than a God we have no control over. Face it, your spirits are no more plausible then that great big, bearded man in the clouds. Disagree? Then show me just how they could be...

*Ahem* Sorry, I just love answering myself: You can't. Come now, your straw man is burning.

Oh, and yes you can dismiss God and still accept the supernatural it's just utterly illogical.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:12 am
I decline to speak of my own opinions on this subject, however I concede that atheism doesn't have to exclude all things supernatural along with deities. I don't care to get in a debate about it, though; I'd rather allow people to believe what they want and not hassle them about it, so long as that belief doesn't include inflicting unpleasantries (did I just make up a word?) on others.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Reichkovich

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:08 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
I decline to speak of my own opinions on this subject, however I concede that atheism doesn't have to exclude all things supernatural along with deities. I don't care to get in a debate about it, though; I'd rather allow people to believe what they want and not hassle them about it, so long as that belief doesn't include inflicting unpleasantries (did I just make up a word?) on others.
Of course atheism isn't void of all things supernatural, I was simply arguing that it's just as illogical to believe in it just as it's illogical to believe in God.

Also, looking back, I apologize for the harsh tone of my posts. It's just that the OP's douchebaggery ruffled my feathers. In fact, I agree completely that individuals shouldn't be hassled about their beliefs, but once they start telling lies such as their mystical entity having more of a footing in reality than that of that of some other mystical entity when they both, in fact, have a nonexistent footing reality, I am quick to an unpleasant temperament. I'm not proud.

P.S. Unpleasantries is a word.
smile  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces