Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Orphaned Works Bill?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

.+Destiny.Eclipsed+.

Friendly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:50 pm
I think it's only the US, but recently I've been hearing about something called the "Orphaned Works Bill" that will supposedly take away all artist ownership. Anybody know anything about this?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:27 am
This page here seems to have a lot of useful information on the subject. The main reason that this bill even came into existence was as a result of a growing problem. Though you have a copyright for something you've created the minute you've given it form, in order to legally protect said copyright it must be registered as your copyright. That allows you to go to court on matters like copyright infringement, and there's a growing number of people just not filing their copyrights, yet sharing material on the internet where others can lay claim to it.  

Goldenavatar

amosa

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:08 pm
i sent a letter to my congresswoman about it- really hoping that the bill won't pass....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:46 pm
Goldenavatar, Whoa, that's a reaaaallly biased site. ^^;

First of, Goldenavatar, that's not true in the US where this bill is coming up.

the Copyright Act of 1976 in the united states says that the moment you make something, you own the copyright to it. No registration required.

Which is what has lead to the existence of "orphan works". An orphan work is a work that has been published in some nontraditional form by the copyright holder, and has since been copied, moved, or the publishing source lost.

For example here is an image that has been passed around on the web for years; I downloaded it in like 2002?
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

and it appears here on this free clipart page: http://www.webweaver.nu/clipart/ which requires a link back to their site, which would imply that they are the copyright owners.

I put it through tineye and I got this:
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Now that looks like a painting or book cover to me. Now, I have a dilemma. If I put the imaged in something and distributed it, I just inadvertently broke copyright.

What the Orphan works bill actually says, is that I try my best to find the copyright holder and can not*, I can assume that the image is in the public domain.

*this means more than just asking my next door neighbor, you are expected to do a pretty good investigation.

Now, lets say I use the image, and get contacted by the copyright holder and they want to sue me. What this act says is thus:

Quote:
‘‘(1) MONETARY RELIEF.—
‘‘(A) GENERAL RULE.—Subject to sub17
paragraph (B), an award for monetary relief
(including actual damages, statutory damages,
costs, and attorney’s fees) may not be made,
other than an order requiring the infringer to
pay reasonable compensation for the use of the
infringed work

Now, as a web developer, I do not like the idea at all. However, I see the logic in it.

the actual text is here: http://www.publicknowledge.org/pdf/ow-act-2006.pdf  

Raine Dragon

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

amosa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:23 pm
The bill still has no way to track if people are actually attempting to find the owners before distribution, and "reasonable" is such a general and slippery word that in all likelihood, verdicts will rule for the offender more oft than award the victims what they deserve. Outside of the art world, few people fully understand or respect the value of ArtWORK.

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games