Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Falling through the net

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Faeletti

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:44 pm
Bonjour everyone, I'm Faeletti or Fae.
I'm fourteen years old, and being raised a Catholic stressed
I go to church almost every week and I go to CCD (religious education classes) once a week.
But I am, always was, and always will be 100% atheist. I'm starting to wonder how common this is, but from what I can see, falling through the net is pretty rare. Feedback please?  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:20 pm
I too was raised to be a Catholic & I had to go to church all my life and those classes from kindergarten up to a year ago when I finally came out about being an athiest to my mom a few weeks before when I was supposed to be confirmed.

p.s. About 26% of the world's population is Catholic according to http://www.prb.org/Articles/2005/TheChangingDemographicsofRomanCatholics.aspx. The only age statistic for people under the age of 18 is this http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11338&page=7 which says that in 2010 about 50% of the world's population is under 18. Also according to http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/martin.htm about 4% of the world's population is atheist. Therefore if my logic is correct, 14% of the world is made up of Catholics under the age of 18 who are still under the rule of their parents. And 4% of 14% is 0.0056% of those who are under 18 "Catholics" who are Athiests. Multiply that percent by our 6.4 billion population and you get about 35.8 million people who are in your situation. The only problem with this is that there are so many exceptions to this including what culture a person lives in, and the statistics aren't 100% accurate.

p.p.s. I love your Happiness and Cyanide signature. ^.^  

Voiredire

Letishia

7,350 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:54 pm
I was raised Catholic but I've been agnostic for a while. I still go to church with my family when I'm not working as a family thing. I don't really mind it that much. One good thing about the religion is that it doesn't discourage you from questioning your faith. One of the nuns I've talked to told me a long time ago that it was really good that I was questioning things, because blind faith in anything is never good. I don't really know exactely how common this is, but you certainly arn't alone.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:48 pm
I'm proud you're not being fooled by the religious nonsense they're feeding you. Don't give up! Don't let your parents' dilusions get to you and make you think that a god exists. Have you tried telling them your feelings?  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Reichkovich

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:07 pm
Faeletti
Bonjour everyone, I'm Faeletti or Fae.
I'm fourteen years old, and being raised a Catholic stressed
I go to church almost every week and I go to CCD (religious education classes) once a week.
But I am, always was, and always will be 100% atheist. I'm starting to wonder how common this is, but from what I can see, falling through the net is pretty rare. Feedback please?
I'd suppose you would be right in assuming that those who lose their faith are a rare incident. But not all people are so inclined to question everything that's on the dinner table, especially when it's been fed to them since childhood.

My advice: refrain from from feeling like the black sheep, being atheist doesn't make you any less of the person you were before you decided to question your faith. Therefore, you should go about your life with much of the same attitude, towards things, had you still been a follower.

In short: don't be an arrogant atheist. There's much more glory in breaking the stereotype of being a pessimistic, cynical atheist rather than destroying someone's personal beliefs.
(Except on the internet, haha.)  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:48 pm
BulletForMyValentine32
I too was raised to be a Catholic & I had to go to church all my life and those classes from kindergarten up to a year ago when I finally came out about being an athiest to my mom a few weeks before when I was supposed to be confirmed.

p.s. About 26% of the world's population is Catholic according to http://www.prb.org/Articles/2005/TheChangingDemographicsofRomanCatholics.aspx. The only age statistic for people under the age of 18 is this http://books.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=11338&page=7 which says that in 2010 about 50% of the world's population is under 18. Also according to http://www.positiveatheism.org/writ/martin.htm about 4% of the world's population is atheist. Therefore if my logic is correct, 14% of the world is made up of Catholics under the age of 18 who are still under the rule of their parents. And 4% of 14% is 0.0056% of those who are under 18 "Catholics" who are Athiests. Multiply that percent by our 6.4 billion population and you get about 35.8 million people who are in your situation. The only problem with this is that there are so many exceptions to this including what culture a person lives in, and the statistics aren't 100% accurate.

p.p.s. I love your Happiness and Cyanide signature. ^.^
0.0056%? I feel special <3  

Faeletti

Faeletti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:50 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
I'm proud you're not being fooled by the religious nonsense they're feeding you. Don't give up! Don't let your parents' dilusions get to you and make you think that a god exists. Have you tried telling them your feelings?
Oh hell no I ain't giving up. I only have a few more months 'till my Confirmation, and then it has been agreed that I won't have to go to church anymore.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:17 pm
Faeletti
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
Oh hell no I ain't giving up. I only have a few more months 'till my Confirmation, and then it has been agreed that I won't have to go to church anymore.

Ohhhhh *grabs popcorn* What's gonna happen?? biggrin  

-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Faeletti

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:12 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
Faeletti
-GS-Sailor Nemesis

Ohhhhh *grabs popcorn* What's gonna happen?? biggrin
Lol.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:15 pm
-GS-Sailor Nemesis
Well, I'm not sure if they know or not...I haven't said the exact words that I don't believe in god, but my whole life I've never tried to hide from them the fact that I absolutely HATE going to church and CCD.  

Faeletti

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff