Welcome to Gaia! ::

[MADG] Hangout

Back to Guilds

Formerly the Mil-a-Day Giveaway, this guild is now a just great place to hangout and meet some new friends. 

Tags: [MADG], Hangout, friends, relax, bunnies 

Reply [MADG]
SCAMMER ALERT: PROTECT YOURSELF, DAMMIT D< Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Danger! Danger!
  Will Robinson
View Results

Simplistic-Tyranny

Vice Captain

Dangerous Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:47 pm
If you don't read this thread in its entirety, and take necessary measures to protect your account, then it's not our fault for your lack of brain activity.

There have been too many incidents lately involving botting/scamming + MADG. Way too many, and since no one bothered to read Nor's old thread, I'm taking the time out of my busy day to cram it in your heads as a warning.

What is Hacking?

In a security context, a hacker is someone involved in computer security/insecurity, specializing in the discovery of exploits in systems (for exploitation or prevention), or in obtaining or preventing unauthorized access to systems through skills, tactics and detailed knowledge. In the most common general form of this usage, "hacker" refers to a black-hat hacker (a malicious or criminal hacker). There are also ethical hackers (more commonly referred to as white hats), and those more ethically ambiguous (grey hats). To disambiguate the term hacker, often cracker is used instead, referring either to computer security hacker culture as a whole to demarcate it from the academic hacker culture (such as by Eric S. Raymond) or specifically to make a distinction within the computer security context between black-hat hackers and the more ethically positive hackers (commonly known as the white-hat hackers). The context of computer security hacking forms a subculture which is often referred to as the network hacker subculture or simply the computer underground. According to its adherents, cultural values center around the idea of creative and extraordinary computer usage. Proponents claim to be motivated by artistic and political ends, but are often unconcerned about the use of criminal means to achieve them.

What is scamming?

Scamming is a collection of techniques used to manipulate people into performing actions or divulging confidential information. While similar to a confidence trick or simple fraud, the term typically applies to trickery for information gathering or computer system access and in most cases the attacker never comes face-to-face with the victim.

In short
Hacking - Unauthorized access of your account, someone manages to crack your password on their own
Scamming - You screwed up, clicked a link that lead to a fake log-in page and got swindled.

There are also several other definitions that go with this, seeing as the PM scams and links associated with us also have these.

Computer Virus

A program that enters a computer usually without the knowledge of the operator. Some viruses are mild and only cause messages to appear on the screen, but others are destructive and can wipe out the computer's memory or cause more severe damage.

Spyware/Malware

1. Software that secretly gathers information about a person or organization.
2. Any malicious software that is designed to take partial or full control of a computer's operation without the knowledge of its user.

Rootkit

A rootkit is a program (or combination of several programs) designed to take fundamental control of a computer system, without authorization by the system's owners and legitimate managers. Access to the hardware (ie, the reset switch) is rarely required as a rootkit is intended to seize control of the operating system running on the hardware. Typically, rootkits act to obscure their presence on the system through subversion or evasion of standard operating system security mechanisms. Often, they are also Trojans as well, thus fooling users into believing they are safe to run on their systems. Techniques used to accomplish this can include concealing running processes from monitoring programs, or hiding files or system data from the operating system.

Rootkits may have originated as regular, though emergency, applications, intended to take control of an unresponsive system, but in recent years have been largely malware to help intruders gain access to systems while avoiding detection. Rootkits exist for a variety of operating systems, such as Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Solaris. Rootkits often modify parts of the operating system or install themselves as drivers or kernel modules, depending on the internal details of an operating system's mechanisms.

Keystroke logging

Keystroke logging (often called keylogging) is a method of capturing and recording user keystrokes. Keylogging can be useful to determine sources of errors in computer systems, to study how users interact with systems, and is sometimes used to measure employee productivity on certain clerical tasks. Such systems are also highly useful for law enforcement and espionage—for instance, providing a means to obtain passwords or encryption keys and thus bypassing other security measures. Keyloggers are widely available on the Internet.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:11 pm
SOME WELL KNOWN SCAMS INVOLVING MADG

THE PM SCAM
This is one of the much older scams that has involved us, and usually it's done by someone who's scammed another out of an account. These have been floating around since Peasant was captain of the guild.

Either way, it's still a scam.

A typical scam pm pertaining to MADG goes along the lines that the user has won a golden ticket to win 5 million gold. And will show the url for the guild, which is actually a tinyURL of a FLP (fake log-in page).

There's a big problem with this.

• We don't advertise anywhere but outside our Chatterbox thread.
  • We don't give away 5 million gold.
  • We don't invite like that. If anything, we use the invite form in our moderator panel.

For your protection, and for our sanity, please remember who your moderators are
Captain
Pailzor

Vice-Captains
Simplistic-Tyranny
Norayr
`Tahirah

Crew Members
Moonlight_Bella
[Noi]
FairyFlowers
Pelvic Thrust Fairy

THE BANNER SCAM

Banner Scam 1
Banner Scam 2

I don't know what else to say about this. What's happening is that scammers are joining the guild, taking our banners, using bots, and trying to scam everyone by having them click it. In almost all cases, the banner is masked with a TinyURL link, which hides the ripway link.

IF YOU SEE A BANNER OF OURS THAT IS MASKED WITH A TINYURL, REPORT IT VIA THE REPORT FORM, IF YOU SEE A BUNCH OF THEM IN THE SAME THREAD BY DIFFERENT USERS, REPORT THEM DIRECTLY TO AN ONLINE OMNI MODERATOR.

I've taken necessary precaution as to 'thwart' these scammers by adding a warning text at the bottom.

OTHER SCAMS?

Ticket/game items Scam
Not really MADG related, but it's a rather messy glitch right now in the Marketplace where botters are managing to get past the quantity and put up game items at 0 quantity for 0 gold. WhiteJoker has stated that this is a glitch exploit, is reportable/bannable should one use the glitch, and users who purchase the glitched items will not be refunded their gold

Simplistic-Tyranny

Vice Captain

Dangerous Nerd

Simplistic-Tyranny

Vice Captain

Dangerous Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:39 pm
OKAY, TYRA! Now what can I do to protect my PC from these 'scammers?

Well for one...

DON'T BE TRIGGER HAPPY AND CLICK A LINK HAPHAZARDLY!

That's the main way people are getting scammed, because they think a link is safe Regardless.

The easiest way you can fix things is by Looking at your status bar when you hover over a link. The status bar is the bar at the bottom of your browser, above your taskbar.

Example of status bar

As you can tell, I highlighted the [MADG] link, and it showed the url associated with it.

Most scams are usually like tinyurl.com / asdfjkl; or something to that extent.

TWO!

You can install anti-virus software and stuff to further protect your PC!

Anti-Virus
AVG Anti-Virus 8
Avast! Home Edition
Avira Antivir Personal
ESET NOD32 Antivirus
ThreadFire Antivirus

Anti-Spyware
Ad-Aware 2007
Spybot Search & Destroy
Trend Micro Antispyware

Anti-Rootkit
Panda Antirootkit

Monitoring Programs
WinPatrol 2007

Also...to further protect your sessions using Firefox, I reccomend this add-on

KeyScrambler Personal

I really do hope that this at least makes you understand how severe this is...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:37 am
I apparently had 5 tojans on my computer.

Go me! xD Thanks for that smexy free antivirus software linkage. Srsly. I was all stingy and stuff and didn't want to pay for any software. ;D

Sinaeria

Simplistic-Tyranny

Vice Captain

Dangerous Nerd

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:44 pm
Sinaeria
I apparently had 5 tojans on my computer.

Go me! xD Thanks for that smexy free antivirus software linkage. Srsly. I was all stingy and stuff and didn't want to pay for any software. ;D
I have 210. >.>

AVG won't let me delete them though, because they're system registry trojans.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:02 am
You need to add Norton anti-virus on there razz  

Jason Kharo

5,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Signature Look 250

Simplistic-Tyranny

Vice Captain

Dangerous Nerd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:07 am
Jason Da Psycho
You need to add Norton anti-virus on there razz
You're shitting me.

Have fun with your trojans! Norton has proven to have been one of the most shittiest AV programs ever.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 11:52 am
I should also warn you that there is a Ticket Scam going on too. On the market page, it will say that they will be selling X amount of tickets for 0g's. Don't fall for it. Somehow they are able to make the price appear zero but can arrange for it to be any price they choose. For instance, I buy a set of 200 tickets for a suppoused 0g, but when I buy the thing it deducts 10k from my total gold amount. It is reportable and it would help to get a screenshot of the transaction log.

It was all over T3h Vending Guild.  

DumberDan

Moonlight_Bella
Crew

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:32 pm
Now everybody say, "thank you Tyra."  
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:53 pm
DumberDan
I should also warn you that there is a Ticket Scam going on too. On the market page, it will say that they will be selling X amount of tickets for 0g's. Don't fall for it. Somehow they are able to make the price appear zero but can arrange for it to be any price they choose. For instance, I buy a set of 200 tickets for a suppoused 0g, but when I buy the thing it deducts 10k from my total gold amount. It is reportable and it would help to get a screenshot of the transaction log.

It was all over T3h Vending Guild.
I know about the ticket scam. -TVG'er and GCD'er-

But I'll add it just in case.  

Simplistic-Tyranny

Vice Captain

Dangerous Nerd

Blaze the Fire Dragon

Tricky Shapeshifter

12,800 Points
  • Love Machine 150
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:33 pm
Hacker=person without a life, seriously why go through all the trouble to get an account with fake money?  
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:53 pm
Blaze the Fire Dragon
Hacker=person without a life, seriously why go through all the trouble to get an account with fake money?
That's being quite harsh.

I have no life, I spend it on Gaia. Am I a hacker? No.

Simplistic-Tyranny

Vice Captain

Dangerous Nerd

cinnamokona

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:31 pm
Moonlight_Bella
Now everybody say, "thank you Tyra."

I know it's kinda late for me to say this, but "Thank you, umm, Tyra"  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:48 am
I would stand in line for this

*whips out condom* Oh. . . Wrong protection. . .
This won`t do much for a computer. D:

Oh well.
I already knew the majority of this, but thanks anyways!
*married to a Geek Squad member*

Hildr

Clever Goat

Ronin_no_kin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 8:21 am
stupid scamers scream  
[MADG]

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers