Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I'm leaving American Christian Academy.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:08 pm
Before I begin, something to raise one's faith in humanity just a bit.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I found this on a church sign the other day. There's something infinitely inspiring about seeing hypocrisy recognize itself from within.

It seems I'm leaving the Christian school I attend. Not for (my) religious reasons, but because I finally chose to speak my mind.

On April 25th*, I took part in the day of silence. I carried around a note explaining my reasons, and declaring my part in the protest to be not against the Christian attitude, but simply opposition to the bullying of homosexuals in schools.

The Guidance Councilor, Mr. Hughes (who I've found has a certain vendetta against "the homo agenda"), decided that this was a direct assault on the Christian faith and the moral integrity of the school.

I argued my point as tactfully as I could, but the best I could manage was to allow myself to stay for the remainder of the school year.

Now, I'm not normally an advocate of acting on pride.. but there are lines in all things which can't be crossed. I could very well go above his head and play my favor with the headmaster, but I refuse to remain here any longer.
As it turns out, he himself was the only real opponent I had that day. Aside from the expected immature comments from a few individuals, most of those I presented my case to agreed with me. A few even claimed in private that they were on my side in it.
There really is more sense in the school than you would think. Sadly, it's currently drowning under blind doctrine and "father knows best" administration. To speak up as I did, for anyone else, would be social suicide, not just with one's peers, but with family and the community.

Not just on this, either. Even those whose religious beliefs are otherwise benign and even progressive are unfairly rebuked and attacked by certain administrators.

I suppose we can call this a completed experiment.
Even the some of the most opposed individuals in the world can coexist if both parties want it to be so. There are, however, those whose personal zeal and blind convictions will forever trounce their sense of reason and morality.  
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:32 pm
Wait...you were talking during the day of silence?

I applaud you for standing up for what you believe in or don't approve of. If only that one person could have shown you the tolerance you have had for the rest of the school.

So how is your family taking this?

Sanguvixen

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:42 am
I had a letter to explain myself, and answered a few questions through nods, shakes and gestures.

And my family isn't too upset about it, really. My grandmother, who manages my tuition, actually got off a rant on the man who did it. Seems she feels the same way I do about individuals like that: Those who think that being headstrong in their convictions, as ridiculous as they are, makes them better as individuals.

And thank you. I just hope that what I did had some sort of lasting impact.  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 6:32 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
I had a letter to explain myself, and answered a few questions through nods, shakes and gestures.

And my family isn't too upset about it, really. My grandmother, who manages my tuition, actually got off a rant on the man who did it. Seems she feels the same way I do about individuals like that: Those who think that being headstrong in their convictions, as ridiculous as they are, makes them better as individuals.

And thank you. I just hope that what I did had some sort of lasting impact.

It has only been a while since it happened, so don't expect to see results too quickly (although, I highly doubt that there aren't going to be long lasting effects, considering the situation). I DO hope that there are, because it could cause a chain of events leading to the closing down of religiously focused centers of "education" (or, more appropriately, brainwashing). Maybe not, but hey, stranger s**t has happened.

Also, what Sang said. It's brave of you to stand up for what you believe in, and I hope you don't get flack for having done so. I'm also glad that your grandmother is so supportive of you, I think we'd all agree that the world would be so much better if we all had nicer grandmothers (not that my grandma is evil, she isn't, I just know that not everyone has grandmothers like we do).  

CaprinaePsi

Teoka

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 12:22 pm
Bravo, and good for you!! biggrin I participated in the Day of Silence as well, and the actions your school took were completely out-of-line.

But at least you don't have to go there anymore ^o^/

P.S. The Day of Silence was on the 25th; did you make a typo?  
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:25 pm
I must give you a well deserved round of applause for standing up for what you believe in, even though like you said it would be social suicide.

That guy reminds me of one of the teachers I knew back in High School. from what I understand, even though the school was public, he treated everything as if it were a private Catholic School and ANY form of opposition or questioning of his beliefs, no matter how small, got you either kicked out of class or a detention. If he had the chance and ability, I'm sure he'd kick you out of the school.  

Arios V

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff