Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Sailor Moon Guild

Back to Guilds

A guild for those who love Sailor Moon. (Big Fourum RP needs more players). 

Tags: Sailor moon, Moon, Roleplay, Anime, Manga 

Reply Home
Can anyone tell me why?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you know?
  Yes.
  No, you've imagined the whole thing.
  What?! *Runs to check ribbons*
  I have no idea.
  Seriously... what do you do all day?
View Results

-Sailor Spira-

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 2:09 am
Can anyone tell me why, Sailor Venus, Mars and Uranus have two different coloured ribbons when the others have the same coloured ribbons?

Venus - Purple/blue chest, Yellow back.
Mars - Purple chest, Red back.
Uranus - Yellow chest, dark blue back.

Is there a reason? I haven't read the Magna so I have no clue if it's ever mentioned. If it's not mentioned i'd still love to hear crazy theories on the subject.  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 8:14 am
So they won't clash colors? sweatdrop I don't really know... and now that mention it I noticed... weird 0.o  

FantasyFollower

-Sailor Spira-

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 7:27 pm
FantasyFollower
So they won't clash colors? sweatdrop I don't really know... and now that mention it I noticed... weird 0.o

It's probably going to annoy you now you know that it's there, but not why. There must be a reason, it can't be completly random... or can it? confused  
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 9:39 pm
It's possible that the purple and blue ribbon of Venus could be related to one of the Goddess Venus' epithets. Venus Erycina. In Sicily Venus had temples built to her as the goddess of prostitution. She was the goddess of "impure love". Where blue is a primary color, a pure color, the purple is secondary. A mixture of red and blue, thus impure.

It could also be that Venus was a water goddess. She was born from the blood of Uranus' castration when it mixed with water. Water is "blue" and blood is red, thus the purple.

The back ribbon could represent the color of her attacks. Most are yellow orange or gold.

As for Mars' front ribbon I can only speculate. The god Ares and the god Mars are both war gods. It could be that the purple is meant to represent the spilled blood during war.

Speaking of Venus and Mars, I find it funny that her birds are named after the love children of Ares(Mars) and Aphrodite(Venus). Obviously they represent the moons of Mars.

Uranus, the only thing I can say that represents hers is that Uranus is the sky that was the born from the Chaos before it split in two. Front one probably represents sun rise and the other probably represents dusk.  

Ryuondo

-Sailor Spira-

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 5:48 am
Ryuondo
It's possible that the purple and blue ribbon of Venus could be related to one of the Goddess Venus' epithets. Venus Erycina. In Sicily Venus had temples built to her as the goddess of prostitution. She was the goddess of "impure love". Where blue is a primary color, a pure color, the purple is secondary. A mixture of red and blue, thus impure.

It could also be that Venus was a water goddess. She was born from the blood of Uranus' castration when it mixed with water. Water is "blue" and blood is red, thus the purple.

The back ribbon could represent the color of her attacks. Most are yellow orange or gold.

As for Mars' front ribbon I can only speculate. The god Ares and the god Mars are both war gods. It could be that the purple is meant to represent the spilled blood during war.

Speaking of Venus and Mars, I find it funny that her birds are named after the love children of Ares(Mars) and Aphrodite(Venus). Obviously they represent the moons of Mars.

Uranus, the only thing I can say that represents hers is that Uranus is the sky that was the born from the Chaos before it split in two. Front one probably represents sun rise and the other probably represents dusk.

Well that is interesting. But then why are the ribbons on the others the same colours? I'm interested to hear your theory.  
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 3:01 pm
That's kinda random...I'd only noticed it on Venus.  

Briella Alwing

-Sailor Spira-

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:03 pm
Briella Alwing
That's kinda random...I'd only noticed it on Venus.

Yeah Venus is the weirdiest, the other two have ribbon on their back the same colour as their skirt, but Venus' is a completely different colour.  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 4:22 pm

There are other subtle differences as well.

User Image

Why does Sailor Mercury have no sleeves?
Why are Sailor Venus' sleeves in color rather than white?

Magical Girl BunnyWinx

Angelic Spirit

9,675 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Gaian 0

inuyasha_fans_1989

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:48 pm
actually according to rumor...the people that made this were kinda in a hurry so they just sort of placed it together kinda at random. I don't know the whole story but I don't think it's true either. domokun domokun  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:35 am
Magical Girl Yossy

There are other subtle differences as well.

User Image

Why does Sailor Mercury have no sleeves?
Why are Sailor Venus' sleeves in color rather than white?

Oh my! The mystery deepens. Is there a point? Surely it can't all be random.

@ inuyasha_fans_1989
It just doesn't seem random to me. There has to be a point... we just have to find it... or failing that, make up one of our own that's sounds plausable.  

-Sailor Spira-

Ryuondo

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:00 am
-Sailor Spira-
Ryuondo

Well that is interesting. But then why are the ribbons on the others the same colours? I'm interested to hear your theory.

I can only speculate.

In Latin, Pluto translates to wealth. In the roman era, wealth was gold and silver, which was mined from beneath the ground. Which is also where many people believe Hades, the Greek god equivalent to Pluto, ruled. Hades as a place, when looking directly at myth was located in Spain and Portugal, but that's beside the point. The black or brown ribbons on Pluto can represent several things. One being death as both gods, Pluto and Hades, we gods that ruled the underworld. Which the brown or black could represent. Her attacks easily point to the Greek and Roman gods.

Jupiter is a little tougher. I can't really understand why they would giver her pink ribbons. Every now and then I see an image of Zeus with a pink(or a very bright purple) aegis. Aside from making her seem more feminine. After all her opening episode had her moving to a new school because she was fighting in her old one. The only relations to the Gos Zeus and Jupiter are her attacks. If I remember correctly she also had an attack with Oak something or other in the name, or was visually represented with an oak. The oak tree is Zeus' tree.

Sailor Moon... Bear with me on this, I'm not screwing with you. The Goddess of the Moon in classical myth was Artemis, she was also goddess of the hunt among other things. One being the goddess of female blood. Be it in death or child birth or menstruation. She also is attributed to the sudden death of females and death during child birth. Sailor moon seems very fitting in that role. The majority of evil crones she fights are female. The ribbons could represent the blood spilled from a female.

As for Mercury, I have not a friggin' clue why she has light blue ribbons, or blue anything for that matter. Aside from using ice and water as her elemental powers anyway. The only real resemblance to her Greek god equivalent is that she wants to be a doctor, and the modern medical symbol is Hermes staff. "Hermes... is the Olympian god of boundaries and of the travelers who cross them, of shepherds and cowherds, of thieves and road travelers, of orators and wit, of literature and poets, of athletics, of weights and measures, of invention, of commerce in general, and of the cunning of thieves and liars." The only real resemblances I can find is that he's intelligent and so is she, as well as athletic.

Netune's ribbons are obviously blue because Neptune was the Roman's Poseidon. Both are sea god. Poseidon is Zeus's older brother and born of the titan Kronus. From the stories that feature him he only gets into a bit of trouble(Heckling Odysseus, raping Medusa in Athena's temple). So there wouldn't be much to symbolically alter the colors.  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:28 am
Ryuondo
-Sailor Spira-
Ryuondo

I can only speculate.

In Latin, Pluto translates to wealth. In the roman era, wealth was gold and silver, which was mined from beneath the ground. Which is also where many people believe Hades, the Greek god equivalent to Pluto, ruled. Hades as a place, when looking directly at myth was located in Spain and Portugal, but that's beside the point. The black or brown ribbons on Pluto can represent several things. One being death as both gods, Pluto and Hades, we gods that ruled the underworld. Which the brown or black could represent. Her attacks easily point to the Greek and Roman gods.

Jupiter is a little tougher. I can't really understand why they would giver her pink ribbons. Every now and then I see an image of Zeus with a pink(or a very bright purple) aegis. Aside from making her seem more feminine. After all her opening episode had her moving to a new school because she was fighting in her old one. The only relations to the Gos Zeus and Jupiter are her attacks. If I remember correctly she also had an attack with Oak something or other in the name, or was visually represented with an oak. The oak tree is Zeus' tree.

Sailor Moon... Bear with me on this, I'm not screwing with you. The Goddess of the Moon in classical myth was Artemis, she was also goddess of the hunt among other things. One being the goddess of female blood. Be it in death or child birth or menstruation. She also is attributed to the sudden death of females and death during child birth. Sailor moon seems very fitting in that role. The majority of evil crones she fights are female. The ribbons could represent the blood spilled from a female.

As for Mercury, I have not a friggin' clue why she has light blue ribbons, or blue anything for that matter. Aside from using ice and water as her elemental powers anyway. The only real resemblance to her Greek god equivalent is that she wants to be a doctor, and the modern medical symbol is Hermes staff. "Hermes... is the Olympian god of boundaries and of the travelers who cross them, of shepherds and cowherds, of thieves and road travelers, of orators and wit, of literature and poets, of athletics, of weights and measures, of invention, of commerce in general, and of the cunning of thieves and liars." The only real resemblances I can find is that he's intelligent and so is she, as well as athletic.

Netune's ribbons are obviously blue because Neptune was the Roman's Poseidon. Both are sea god. Poseidon is Zeus's older brother and born of the titan Kronus. From the stories that feature him he only gets into a bit of trouble(Heckling Odysseus, raping Medusa in Athena's temple). So there wouldn't be much to symbolically alter the colors.

Wow. You have impressed me. I did not think anyone would give me a such a detailed answer. That is all very interesting and I now feel enlightened. Thank you for sharing.  

-Sailor Spira-

Ryuondo

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:44 pm
-Sailor Spira-
Ryuondo
-Sailor Spira-
Ryuondo

I can only speculate.

Wow. You have impressed me. I did not think anyone would give me a such a detailed answer. That is all very interesting and I now feel enlightened. Thank you for sharing.

I find mythology and religion to be quite interesting subjects. I left some out on Sailor Moon, as it completely escaped my mind. She more than most likely has mythological attributes from Japanese mythology as well. A subject I'm not quite as strong on as the classics. In fact, I only really know of the Japanese creation myth. And not all that much of it. I'm an Asian studies major too. gonk One easily pointed out reason is her Japanese name.  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:05 pm
idk, i guess it's just part of their outfit.  

mistress_hydro

7,200 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Team Edward 100
  • Signature Look 250

-Sailor Spira-

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:40 am
Ryuondo
-Sailor Spira-
Ryuondo
-Sailor Spira-
Ryuondo

I can only speculate.

I find mythology and religion to be quite interesting subjects. I left some out on Sailor Moon, as it completely escaped my mind. She more than most likely has mythological attributes from Japanese mythology as well. A subject I'm not quite as strong on as the classics. In fact, I only really know of the Japanese creation myth. And not all that much of it. I'm an Asian studies major too. gonk One easily pointed out reason is her Japanese name.

I'm sure you do wonderfully at it. Thanks for all your help on the subject.  
Home

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games