Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
TOGETHER! WE SHALL PREVAIL... Or Possibly Do Nothing Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[The Looney Bin]

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:05 pm
The dinosaurs are returning...

So now that I've returned to this guild after a short Gaia break.
I've found that it hasn't changed all the much.
And that mostly made me happy.

But one thing that's constantly been a thorn in my side has been that I've never really seen the GAU really be united for one sole purpose.

Like.
Sure we're all Atheists.
But I've been to Christian and other religious guilds and they all seem to be fairly symbiotic to each other, all with the same or similar goals in sight.

But here in this guild we all seem to be almost divided.
I almost see more criticism of different Atheists here than I do in the ED.
And I see far more here than I did in the various other religious guilds.

So GAU.
Why is this?
I have some ideas to why, but a discussion going would be pretty amazing.
All I can really guess is that because Atheism isn't an organized religion that those who are a part of it aren't really united.

...and they want their oil back.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 5:27 pm
What purpose? My goal in life is to be happy, and that is my purpose. I like having it as a life goal because it's something I can continue to achieve.It's not a one time thing. It's definitely ongoing.

Xiporah

Asterisk07

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 6:55 pm
But what purpose could we have..(study more about science, help fellow Atheists in debates against religion) I cant really think of many things we could ACCUALLY do for a purpose...although it would be nice to have GAU be for a spacific purpose 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:35 pm
User Image
Firstly, this guild does have a purpose, just not an offensive one. Realistically speaking, there's nothing that an online guild on an anime based website can do, so instead of trying to change the world offline, we're happy to do what we can online.

“What's that?”, you ask. Well, simply put, we provide a safe haven for Atheists to interact without any theistic influences, interruptions, and/or ideologies.

Now, as to why there isn't much unity, homogony, or friendly harmony is also simple. Unlike religions, that use mythical stories and the reward and punishment technique used on animals to enforce a philosophy, Atheism has no real philosophy other than the disbelief in a god, gods, and god-like beings.

User Image
What this means is that an Atheist's morality can lie anywhere on the spectrum. There are extreme conservative Atheists, liberal Atheists, anarchist Atheists, and everything in between and even more that I can't think of. On the negative side, this means that Atheists can and do encounter friction when communicating with other Atheists, and finding morally like minded peers is difficult.

User Image
However, on the positive side, this also means that Atheism isn't simple a fad or a culture specific trend. Atheism affects everyone, and not just the smart ones, trust me! There are people who don't believe in god because they honestly can't fathom that complex a concept.

True, most American Atheists are educated, white, liberal, and male. However, if anything, this guild has shown how low a percentage that "most" is.

Truth be told, I've never favored the idea of unity in Atheism. I feel congregating under an ideology, regardless of how simple, is just another theistic ritual. I could on about the laws, the groups that protest, militant Atheists, and all that jazz, but it would just be digression.

My point is, because Atheism is a truth, anyone can be one, and as a consequence, there are little philosophical similarities. But, as I mentioned, I think it's a good thing.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:25 pm
Better we stand around and bicker than settle contented with one idea; we may very well organize a new unreligion if we decide to stop thinking.  
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:55 pm
The GAU exists for the sole purpose of being a safe haven for people to share certain ideas without outside interference.

When your guild is based on a website that caters to anime....there is not much you can do except stalk the forums on the outside and argue your case when you can...what ever case that might me.

The other day I argued the case that Atheism is not a religion in the ED and got ignored for making a valid point. I thought I saw one or two GAU members in there but I couldn't be too certain.

I wish more GAU members could have showed up but oh well. I can't say much that isn't already covered by Dathu.

Sanguvixen

hagane danbira

6,150 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:06 pm
I have a theory for the whole "divided we fall, together we insult each other" thing. I like to call it the "Angry Minority" Theory. Once someone joins a minority (race, religion, or otherwise), they are instantly hit by a tsunami of descrimination. This tends to make said people VERY angry. Now, imagine sticking several hundred of these angry people in the same room. One of two things occur: 1) They put aside their differences and go on a crusade against the descriminators, or 2) Their anger gets the better of them and they try to kill each other. If you want proof, look at the average Ghetto. African Americans aren't shooting whitey; they're too busy shooting each other. This problem is made worse by the fact that Atheists join the minority BY CHOICE.  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:53 am
Sanguvixen
The GAU exists for the sole purpose of being a safe haven for people to share certain ideas without outside interference.

When your guild is based on a website that caters to anime....there is not much you can do except stalk the forums on the outside and argue your case when you can...what ever case that might me.

The other day I argued the case that Atheism is not a religion in the ED and got ignored for making a valid point. I thought I saw one or two GAU members in there but I couldn't be too certain.

I wish more GAU members could have showed up but oh well. I can't say much that isn't already covered by Dathu.
Maybe there should be a sticky where we post links to threads we're debating in outside of the guild. I've been in a few threads before where I felt like I was combating stupid all by by lonesome... XD  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:38 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
Sanguvixen

Maybe there should be a sticky where we post links to threads we're debating in outside of the guild. I've been in a few threads before where I felt like I was combating stupid all by by lonesome... XD

We could...depending upon the consensus with others. What do the rest of you think?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 3:23 pm
I think that sounds like a good idea, it would increase the number of forums and likelyness that i'll be interested in it mrgreen Besides i've seen some good arguments and debates outside this guild just wandering in random forums 3nodding  

Asterisk07

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:08 pm
Asterisk07
I think that sounds like a good idea, it would increase the number of forums and likelyness that i'll be interested in it mrgreen Besides i've seen some good arguments and debates outside this guild just wandering in random forums 3nodding

;heads head on laptop;

Yeah it would be a good idea...I just don't want it to be come a thing where if someone has a disagreement it becomes instant "Flame person" fest. That could hurt the imagine of the guild if they go crazy with it.

I might talk with the other crew about it draw some stuff up a guide to ensure that no backlash occurs directed at the GAU. The mods of GAIA are touchy as it is right now.

but...;bangs head on laptop;

Is it wrong to ask someone to not butcher your posts into tiny little bits? I got into a bit of a discussion with someone and they took my post and split it into such tiny bit that it took away from the meaning the poster ended up with quite big misunderstandings of what I was saying.

I told him to put my post back together or don't bother posting at all. He left....and somehow I think I was justified in my request but I wonder what the rest of you think...?

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:01 pm
The mods are touchy? What do you mean? I don't go to the forums outside of my guilds very often, so I don't see this stuff happening.

And yeah, it annoys the hell out of me when people butcher my posts into one line at a time. It's irritating to read and it makes it difficult to form coherent replies. There's nothing hard about replying in paragraphs. XD  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 7:22 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
The mods are touchy? What do you mean? I don't go to the forums outside of my guilds very often, so I don't see this stuff happening.

And yeah, it annoys the hell out of me when people butcher my posts into one line at a time. It's irritating to read and it makes it difficult to form coherent replies. There's nothing hard about replying in paragraphs. XD

Recently the mods have been a bit touchy when it comes to guilds. After something that happened with a guild recently I do feel it prudent to tread lightly.

It was an issue that came to light in the GD but if you don't go often to the outside forums you might not have come across it. Apparently there was a guild that was being used to plan raids on certain threads and it got shut down and members banned.

After that they should be a bit touchy...

It would be one thing if a person takes the time to read the post fully and takes the time to ensure that when he or she cuts the post, that it is in paragraphs and the like information is kept together.

When people don't do that...the frustrating to me is just not worth it. It is as you say...makes it harder to form coherent replies....and that to me really is a good basis for misunderstanding later on down the road in the discussion.

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:33 pm
*hmm* it sounds like if we do it, it while go really good or fail pretty bad confused ..well ill let everyone else keep debating because I would really love it if there was sticky that shows good forums outside the guild...but..I guess I could keep randomly looking at random forums and finding 1 out of 100 of the forums to be interesting sad  

Asterisk07

Niveous

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 2:51 pm
You need me to post more in the ED to help.

I saw that thread.

You were all...."grr..science"

And I was all "duuude...common sense"

you need someone to ease the tension and be charming and someone...like me..who obviously is completely aware how stupid they can be.

I agree we need some unity, team effort.

But we should always bicker.....arguing helps give way to cooler stuff....like..frozen poptarts.

anyway....I like the different personalities. It can help compliment and make up for what the other lacks.

I lack intelligence, some lack patience, and some lack i don't know...stuff?

yea....that was deep. ^-^  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces