77%  [ 92 ]
Other
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 118

Chisa
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:28 pm
This is just out of curiosity, now that we have so many members - I'm wondering what percentage of our guild is male? Crafting unfortunately has a bit of a feminine (old lady~ish even) stigma, which I think turns off guys who might perceive it as too 'girly'.

So are you a guy who is into crafting? Do you hide it because it's an 'uncool' thing to do, or do people generally accept it and think it's great? Do you think (in the real world) we're reaching a point where people aren't so judgmental of guys doing what are considered girl things, or girls doing guy things?  
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 10:47 pm
One of my guy friends sews and stuff but not many guys do.
I am a girl, but still not many of my girlfriends make crafts either, but I was just raised this way.  

Dark Mage Sabrina

CandelaRoyale

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 12:11 am
I'm a guy, and some people like what I draw/craft/sketch/paper-fold. I once did crochet and stuff but my sis told me that was gay... sad
Well anyway, I think we're just a bit nearer to that age where guys can be creative. biggrin  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:00 am
Yay! I don't think crochet is gay at all, it's a pity our society has all these preconceptions of what people should or shouldn't do. Personally I think that hobbies which are creative are great for everyone, regardless of gender or age biggrin And girls like handmade presents ninja I remember in highschool it was trendy for guys to make girls origami hearts and cranes and things for a while... was quite cute!  

Chisa
Captain

Ghola

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 8:22 am
My boyfriend is pretty into the crafting end of art too. He sculpts , miniatures, masks, small scale figures, we make plushies together (he really likes to design them) He does composite crafts, and most recently we've been making the mini goth lolita top hats together. Pretty much all the types of crafting I post he does as well. He reads the guild but hasn't requested to join, he probably should. I'd say there are a fair amount of male crafters out there. Perhaps they're just less vocal about it. (like they are with most things.) (well, mine is anyway...)  
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:46 pm
One of my guy friends likes to make plushies and sew other cute things. Other than that... the guys I know have no artistic talent razz  

void flower

Imperial Mask

Familiar Humorist

7,750 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:10 pm
I'm only into drawing and modeling, I don't see myself knitting or something like that. Society sees such abilities as efeminate, but it doesn't mean it is just for females. Modelling is seen as a male ability, I guess, but if I enjoyed knitting I wouldn't have any problems with that.  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:12 am
I started making my boyfriend make things with me because he always says he lacks the "creativity" of crafting or doing anything with the arts. I think he feels intimidated by the world and doesn't want to exercise what little knowledge he already knows. That and he doesn't seem to have the patience of trial/error and the relaxation of sitting down for a few hours to make something so simple.  

Myako

witebubble

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 1:39 pm
I don't think I know any guys who craft, and I think that it's pretty stupid that today if people see a guy crafting, they automatically assume he's gay. that's probably why there are so few guy crafters, and the guys who do craft probably hide it because they don't want to be called gay. so really it all comes down to stupid stereotypes and whether guys are willing to prove people wrong when they say guy crafters are gay.  
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:23 pm
I've met a couple of guys who do some crafting, most avoid it like the plague, and stick with drawing, painting, etc. rolleyes The few I've met who craft try to justify it to themselves by using dangerous tools to do it when an exacto knife or a pair of scissors would work. smile  

Elizabeth_Elf

jollyjube

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:56 am
I make models, charms and other stuff like pom pom thingies. I have'nt uploaded them cos I don't know where my digital camera is. crying crying crying crying  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:33 pm
Personally, I do think I have artistic talent. I just hate saying that because most people are so rude about it.
There always saying there better when there the bad artist. I would love to show my drawings and scetches, I just dont know where my camrea went D:

I am a female and damn proud of it
I dont like to be too girly or too tomboy-ish
I love to be a funky,kawaii,artistic young woman.

Did that sound "old"?
I dont like to sound old....
D:<

X3 fresh_muffin X3

Pwzn

Magnetic Grabber

10,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:49 am
I think guys craft more in the realm of papercraft, figure modelling. There's quite a big online community for papercraft. 3nodding

But they seldom do stuff like crocheting, or things with a needle, maybe it's perceived to be girly. But neither do I, haha, I just suck at crocheting and knitting. Sad, because I'd love to do an amigurumi(sp?) doll, their SO CUTE!

By the way, your poll options are funny.  
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:02 am
There's one male student on our degree course (which is essentially a 'craft' course). And I believe he IS gay...

Having said that, my very-much-straight-thanks boyfriend is a crafter. He's a builder by day, but in his free time he does leather work, chain maille, sewing (granted, usually things for Airsoft), and I've taught him to crochet and am teaching him to knit. He also used to be into Warhammer, and made loads of scenery and what-have-you. He wants to build a doll house. He's making me a miniature table & chairs for my doll for my end of year show. Busy little bee that he is.  

Maimy
Crew

Sculpted - art + craft guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas