Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Anti-Evolution sentiments in "educational institutions"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 7:37 am
I am going through the process of becoming a tutor with a specific company (for privacy reasons, I will not disclose identifying information about this company). While reading the policy manual, I came across more than one section dealing with religion/politics, including specific mention of creationism vs evolution. I had halfway expected a tutoring company to promote understanding of evolution as scientific fact, as it is the backbone of modern biology. To my chagrin, their policy states that tutors are not allowed to encourage students in one direction or another re: evolution, and are instead expected, if the subject arises, to present an unbiased explanation of both creationism and evolution and then allow the students to decide what they think.

Now, this is all well and good in reference to creationism. I certainly don't believe it, but it's definitely not my place to tell someone else not to believe in it. However, I am left wondering how, for the love of sky fairies, I am supposed to present evolution as if it's only a "possibility" when I know with certainty that modern biology rests upon it? When I know that it's well-researched, well-documented, observable, and as factual as cell theory or gravitational theory? I think that, as an educational institution charged with providing quality information to its students, it is the responsibility of tutoring companies not to pander to the religious in such ways. I am more than a little disgusted by the knowledge that I must pander to them as well or risk losing my job. For this reason, I think it might be a good idea for me to stick to lower sciences (of elementary level), as they are less likely to contain mention of evolutionary theory than middle or high school sciences. Unfortunately, it seems I will have to steer far clear of biology, which is my favourite science.

What are everyone else's experiences with these sorts of things?  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 1:27 pm
Well considering they probably don't want to deal with the stuff involved with promoting the idea of evolution, I can understand why that company wouldn't allow it.
It's not difficult to swallow a little humility once in a while for the sake of not starting a giant stormy crap cloud kicked up by the fundamentalist folk who (for whatever reason) chose to take that particular science course in the first place.

But on the topic of science courses and bible-thumpers who choose to ignore the observable---
A friend of mine is a Born Again Christian. He takes the bible literally and he sometimes presents me with ideas from the Bible.
About a month after I met the kid, he started telling me about a biology class he had taken that was discussing the idea of evolution.
Because he doesn't believe in evolution, he took a question from a quiz that asked about it and he wrote in, for his answer, "Evolution does not exist."

I'm not sure if he failed that quiz.

He also asked me once if I believed in the "bullshit carbon-dating".

ololololalsdjaslkdnmad

He's hilarious. Especially when he's not joking.

I've tried to explain Carbon Dating to him before, but I don't think he really understood what I was trying to say.
He hasn't any basic grasp on how sciences like that work.

This was a bit off topic. x3
But your post reminded me of him.  

Augusten

Xiporah

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:05 pm
Hmm. I don't know. I graduated back in 1998, and it was like, 'Hey. Evolution. Learn about it. Quiz on Monday."

I guess it's like...if we don't want evangelicals shoving thier "YAAY GOD AND HIS 7 DAYS!" down our kid's throats, the evangelicals don't want us shoving our "YAAY US AND OUR HEAPS OF EVIDENCE" down thier kids throat.

My question is...how are you supposed to present both sides neutrally if let's say, the tutor doesn't know ANYTHING about one of the sides? How are they supposed to be neutral, besides shrug and say, "I don't know, what do you think?"

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:17 pm
Augusten
Well considering they probably don't want to deal with the stuff involved with promoting the idea of evolution, I can understand why that company wouldn't allow it.
It's not difficult to swallow a little humility once in a while for the sake of not starting a giant stormy crap cloud kicked up by the fundamentalist folk who (for whatever reason) chose to take that particular science course in the first place.

Um... "swallow a little humility?" What? XD It seems like you're implying that it's arrogant to teach science to religious folk. I don't think humility enters the equation here - there's no controversy in evolution except that which the religious right creates. I think that it should be a priority to make people realise that evolution is just as factual as cell theory or gravitational theory. By laying down and allowing them to push around school systems and biology teachers, nobody is doing them any favours and they're just perpetuating their ridiculous ignorance of the world.  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

hagane danbira

6,150 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:16 pm
Evolution is a scientific theory (Can be proven or disproven)

Creationism is religious belief (Can spark massive debate and war)

If you think these two ideas should be lumped together in the same class, I recommend that you get your eyes checked (and maybe see a shrink).

Evolution should be in Biology, and Creationism should be in Theology (or maybe Philosophy)  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:17 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
Augusten

Um... "swallow a little humility?" What? XD It seems like you're implying that it's arrogant to teach science to religious folk. I don't think humility enters the equation here - there's no controversy in evolution except that which the religious right creates. I think that it should be a priority to make people realise that evolution is just as factual as cell theory or gravitational theory. By laying down and allowing them to push around school systems and biology teachers, nobody is doing them any favours and they're just perpetuating their ridiculous ignorance of the world.

I'm implying that I don't quite understand why you have to completely stick clear of tutoring the biology classes. All the guide lines are asking if that you add no bias into your teaching.
id est; Don't shake the kid by the shoulders and tell him what he believes is stupid.

The whole point of tutoring is to make sure the student understands what is going on his class. So if the class is teaching evolution, you explain that in a way that they understand. Unfortunately, it's not in your job description to tell someone what to believe. It's to reinforce what has already been said.

I'm not saying I don't support the idea of teaching someone what has been proven. If you were hired as a teacher, and told to teach the kids the facts of life, have at it.
But I just don't think it's difficult to just avoid the controversy. :/  

Augusten

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:25 pm
Adding biology to my list of subjects would require a lot of extra studying and extra work on my part. I was originally thinking about doing it because I like biology and I wanted to use it as an opportunity to teach the students the truth about evolution vs. creation. What they would be asking me to do is not "just" to leave out a bias: they're asking me to teach creationism and evolution as equally viable theories, one of which isn't even science. It's asking me to act as if evolution is less than it is, and I will not lie to those students and tell them that it's only true if they want it to be. Given what they want from a biology tutor, and given the large amount of extra work I would have to put into it, I have chosen to stick with sciences that do not cover evolution.  
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:30 pm
Daffodil the Destroyer
To my chagrin, their policy states that tutors are not allowed to encourage students in one direction or another re: evolution, and are instead expected, if the subject arises, to present an unbiased explanation of both creationism and evolution and then allow the students to decide what they think.

Sounds rather easy. Present the usual science about evolution, then the science behind creationism.

Can't get more even handed than that, right?

Of course the latter section would be blank.
"And if you turn over to the back of your facts sheet, to the blank side, we see the scientific evidence supporting creationism."

Or make it clear that creationism is the theology of a sect of Christians, and not a science when discussing that part.

Doing anything major miiiight get ya fired... to be honest. And it's not worth your job to actually make much of a stand against it. Just do what you can within the guidelines.  

Redem

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff