Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"DEVIL-WORSHIPER!!!" '"SHUT UP already!" Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Azarni Usagi

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 6:55 pm
First off, thanks for letting me join! biggrin

So, how many times have you been called a devil-worshiper?
It's my current involuntary nickname. I live in the bible belt of NC (lucky me.) and ever since people at my school found out, it's been 'Why are you atheist?!', 'You're evil! Devil-worshiper!', and 'You're gonna go to hell!'
It's gotten so bad that I had to go to a teacher and get help. They wouldn't leave me ALONE, dammit!
The principal doesn't give a s**t, as far as he's concerned they're doing a good deed.
I do have one teacher who's a VERY tolerant Christian (He's the BEST! <3) and he always helps me when it gets too bad, but he can't be everywhere.
And I have been known to blow up when ignorant people (They aren't ignorant because they're Christian, my family is Christian, they're ignorant because they're ******** stupid.) get in my face.

I tried to explain, but only a few people at my school were actually interested in how I thought and why I was atheist. (SMART PEOPLE! YES!)

Share your name-calling stories?  
PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 7:11 pm
In my opinion, when people call me a devil worshiper I politely (( If not a little arrogantly... sweatdrop )) tell them that by being atheist I don't believe in ANY higher power--that includes "The Devil" hence I don't worship the devil...

^^^ That would be me talking slowly and clearly to ignorant hicks in Brainerd MN and spoiled, rich kids in Blaine MN.

But yeah...I don't know. I had other issues up in Brainerd that took, more energy over the fact that I was atheist--though I've mentioned in a different thread that the worst for me is when people at my work come up to me and try and convert me. This is co-workers AND customers. GAH!

And at my job interview (( new job not that ^ ^ ^ one )) the boss actually asked me what my faith was like, I couldn't believe that. Not only is that illegal but it's rather a**-holeish...Then when I told him that I'm an atheist but I respect that people can believe what they want he seemed alright with me but shortly thereafter made a comment like, "So we can work on you then...?" Like all "wink-wink-nudge-nudge". God I wanted to scream NO!!! But this was a job interview after all so with every ounce of will power I had I smiled and half nodded. I mean seriously!!

Sorry...I was rambling, but for real?! So we can work on you!? WHat is that!?

DivineBlindSoul

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:28 pm
The last time I was called a "devil worshipper" was in middle school when I was unequivocally Christian. I was wearing black shorts and a black shirt (from CHURCH) in my P.E. class, and some moron who couldn't read called me a devil worshipper due to the colour of my P.E. clothes. XD  
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:29 pm
The dinosaurs are returning...

Ironically I don't think I've ever been insulted for my religious beliefs.

But for you.

I suggest you get in better contact with your principal, find a way to get in text that he isn't helping you while you're being harassed, I suggest you -mail him until he gives you a reply like "there's nothing we can do", then contact the people above the principal in the school board, keep searching around until you find someone liberal in change and take up the problem with them.

...and they want their oil back.

[The Looney Bin]

Azarni Usagi

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:37 pm
[The Looney Bin]
The dinosaurs are returning...

Ironically I don't think I've ever been insulted for my religious beliefs.

But for you.

I suggest you get in better contact with your principal, find a way to get in text that he isn't helping you while you're being harassed, I suggest you -mail him until he gives you a reply like "there's nothing we can do", then contact the people above the principal in the school board, keep searching around until you find someone liberal in change and take up the problem with them.

...and they want their oil back.

Only problem with that is that my family doesn't know, and I'd prefer to keep it that way until I'm legally and financially independent.
But other than that, great plan!  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:43 am
I was goth in highschool. hearing 'Devil Worshipper' was about as common and routine as farting.

Sometimes they'd get nominally creative and call me Bat Girl because of my floorlength, purple crushed velvet cape I'd wear to school.

Xiporah

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:24 pm
First of all, welcome to the GAU.

Moving on to the topic, the last time I was called a Devil Worshiper was while at a mall. At this point and time I was wearing a baggy black pair of South Pole jeans and a black t-shirt...and sitting alone minding my business.

My mother and brother had gone into Hot Topic and I refused to enter. (BTW, funny how things have changed. Now I do go in Hot Topic in a regular basis to check out their pants, and my brother really doesn't like going in there)...

At that time a few young women who I could only characterize as nuns came upon me and started calling me a Devil Worshipper and an Atheist in the same sentence. This was so long ago though that...I don't remember how it all went. I do remember someone coming out of Hot Topic and going off on the nuns.

When people tell you you are a devil worshiper, you could ignore them.

Or....since you cannot be an atheist(in reference to naked atheism, a single disbelief) and a devil worshiper at the same time tell them that...it might shut them up. You could also tell them that just because you don't believe in gods and goddesses does not make you a bad person. That they would continue to judge you and attack you makes then bad people because they are going against the word of their god that they claim to believe in.

If worst comes to worst, you might have to find someone who is higher than the Principle...I've been to NC before and it didn't really strike me as being the Bible belt area...but then again I've only been near the VA and NC border...so...go figure.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:58 pm
Off topic but I had a nickname in my 9th grade history class. It was " Closet Bible Reader." It's very funny. Also that years was the bomb.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Arios V

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:05 pm
Only once have I been referred to as a "Devil Worshipper". It happened in October 2006, I was out at lunch at the local Quizno's and since it was a nice day, I sat outside at one of the tables. On the table, someone had left a copy of the Washington Post and so I picked it up to read the comics and the news. As I pull out the Style section, they were running an article about Sam Harris' book "The End of Faith". As I read the article, some woman walks by and sees me reading it and looks at me and says something along the lines of

"You know, you shouldn't read books like that or even hear of books like that. They are written by the agents of Satan sent to ensnare pure young Christian minds and bring them unto his service." Then she went on a long tirade about The Book of Revelations while I finished the newspaper.

When she finished I put the news paper down, looked at her and said "You know ma'am, I'm one of those people you called "Devil Worshippers", but I got to tell you that we do not believe in a higher power, not even Satan. Now may I ask you to please leave me alone, so I can finish my lunch in peace?" She did leave, but she ran off shouting stuff about the Rapture. I just chuckled and finished my lunch.  
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 3:59 pm
I'm a Laveyan Satanist so most of the time when I tell people that they automatically assume I'm a Devil Worshiper. This is why I tend not to tell anyone about my beliefs.  

Zambimaru

Ajoli

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:39 pm
I've been called Devil Worshiper, but I, in turn, get to call them a fundie piece of s**t.

I get called devil worshiper often, so people get called fundie pieces of s**t often. Yay!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:42 pm
I know I really shouldn't but anytime I'm called evil or devil worshipper I always go straight into my beast act. I act like I'm rabid my eyes go super wide I start gnawing my teeth and telling them things like "NO! I've been found OUT!? Satan! What do I do now!? Eat them??? OF COURSE!" I act like I'm about to bite their face off stab them in their soul etc. I know I shouldn't put on this act but it works SO DAMN WELL! Most people don't make it past rabid mouth and super wide eyes. And frankly, anything to stop the harrasment. BUT if anyone calls me a SATANIST I instantly explain to them the entire satanist religion. How they don't believe we have souls and they believe there is no afterlife and therefore no satan. How they believe that they are their own gods. I was satanist once and I really want to just inform people a little bit about satanists.  

Dirty Dirty Shisno

T3xtual Harassm3nt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:16 pm
ah yes... the eternal curse of name calling stories.... heres my athiest related ones:

1. i was in hom ec. class and a bunch of the kids were talking about religion (my community is very religious and there are only 2 atheists) and i let it slip that i was atheist (i started asking questions about WHY would "god" give us free will to do bad things ect. ect.) so anyways... as soon as i let it slip the first thing anyone said was "your going to hell" right after that it was "stay away from me you witch" then another boy said "careful she might put a voodoo curse on you"
when i went to my teacher, the very next class hes like "well apparantly (my name here) has been picked on because she is an atheist, isn't that right (my name here)" me: "yes" him: "swear to god"

they also force me to sing stupid religious songs -.-

2: a few monthes later some of the kids a year older than me found out i was an atheist... im not going into much detail about this one but heres what was said:
"burn the witch"
"shes going to turn you into a toad" (wtf eh?)
"burn in hell witch"
"no wonder you have such good evil laughter, your the devil's child" (yes i do have really good evil laughter which i started to hate)

teh end....
lovely stories dont you think?
No wonder i put vasile on everyone's locks on april fools day, exept one person who called me the most names twisted lol i like the smiley face razz  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:15 pm
I've never experienced any of this... I'm sorry you have to endure people with such closed-minds, not that people here are very open-minded... they just don't care about opinions on religion. i am a loner by choice so it's not like many people speak to me anyway, but it's just not a big issue with these kids.

Just remind yourself that it's not like that everywhere and just keep your head up.

Look at me... i'm friends with a mormon, he doesn't agree with my beliefs, nor my choice of language, but we can manage to get along.  

Goddess of the Coulee

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:13 pm
I was called devil-worshiper and the like a few times in high school, but that was because I was kind of goth, not because of my religious stance. In all fairness, though, my friend and I did try to cast a spell on someone at school. rolleyes

This past year I started college, though, and I had the joy of a new experience: traveling preachers. You know, those idiots who stand in the middle of a college campus and tell everyone that they're whores and going to hell? So yeah, I've been called names by them a few times, but I still find it terribly amusing.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff