Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
Freedom Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:58 pm
I don't know what all of it means anymore. I wrote this after reading the Glass Menagerie, (it's in Tom's POV) but that isn't important. Read.

~~~

If I could escape, if I was offered freedom, I'd jump at the chance. Any chance at all. Some casual comment by a drunkard on a Saturday night, not woth a nickel--why, I'd give that man a whole fortune, to use as he pleased. If an angel denied me heaven, forced me to walk the earth in ghost form in eternal purgatory, I'd fall to my knees and praise God.

Because didn't I just say I didn't want to die? I want freedom. FREEDOM, the absolute freedom that COMES with death! Imagine! Just imagine. People stick you in a hole when you're dead, forget about you, move on, you're freed from taxes and responsibility and all the other nonsense. Death is FREEDOM. The man who is dead fears nothing, suffers from nothing, not disease or poverty or the annoyances of society. He focuses on just what humanity should, that which has been lost in the melee of the world we live in now: life.

Ah, if only one could die, then live anew! If only one could be assumed dead, written as dead in all the books and papers in the world, then walk free, live his life, escape...and he could walk through his very hometown; and the shallow-minded all would fail to recognize him, merely think to themselves, Say, he looks just like the man that died just yesterday, God rest his soul. And God had.

One time when I was young, I saw a magician in St. Louis. What a man! So clever and skilled! Do you know, for his final trick he lay down in a coffin, two assistants nailed him in, but suddenly he was just gone, standing on the other side of the stage, free from the coffin without removing a single nail....

Imagine. Imagine faking a death, being mourned over, let go, buried. Imagine the closure of your family and friends, coping fine without you. THen imagine disappearing from the coffin without a tremor, without removing a nail. Imagine romaning the streets, homeless, starving, free.

See the homeless man, walking down the cold, unfeeling streets. See him head for the wilderness. See him eat of the fruits of the bare earth, see him drink the water raw from the stream, see him laugh insanely at the sky adn the moon and the world. See that man, adn don't recognize him as me; see that man and know that I am dead--born anew, as a stranger. See him, and praise God.  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 3:45 pm
Very interesting way to look at things. idea

"not worth a nickel"

"Imagine roaming the streets"  

Reese_Roper

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 5:54 pm
Typed it directly into the box. Care not.

But thanks heart  
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:02 pm
I really do love this short because it can speak to all of us here.

I'll first start off, with the catholic belief of the beginning. With Adam and Eve eating the apple we gained original sin; (I already know kurai's argument about creating us with the capacity for sin thus being original sin, but ignoring that atm) before original sin we had freedom and could do basically anything we wanted that abided by the laws of physics. Being running around naked naming creatures for the first time.

Basically beginning anew; we still have that desire... some don't see it but others do. We desire this freedom so much that we are willing to throw down the chains of society that are holding and keeping us from moving towards this freedom.

The best explanation we can see is that society as a whole (meaning all the people in general) tend to move the weaker of us in such a way as to where they gain more freedom than we have ourselves and we feel bound by society to abide by these or suffer certain consequences...consequences that this society has made up.

So there is those who accept this and move on because it is all they see before them. Then there is that few that have tasted freedom and want out and also want others to see it for themselves. These brilliant few in my opinion are going to be the future of the world, and will achieve more than any other person could ever hope to achieve.

I will also recommend those who are interested in this type of argument read the Allegory of the Cave by Socrates and see how similar this argument is and how far it goes back and how sound it is to justify.  

Galladonsfire

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:11 pm
Your comment was longer than the story thing itself o.o

*can't focus*

The Glass menagerie was about a family with a mother and two children, Tom and Laura; Laura is a bit quiet and odd and Tom has to provide for them all. the thing about coffins and nails: he wants to be free, but he doesn't want to ruin his family's support by it.  
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:15 pm
KirbyVictorious
Your comment was longer than the story thing itself o.o

*can't focus*

The Glass menagerie was about a family with a mother and two children, Tom and Laura; Laura is a bit quiet and odd and Tom has to provide for them all. the thing about coffins and nails: he wants to be free, but he doesn't want to ruin his family's support by it.

basically in a another phrase and deeper meaning we don't have to be dead to be free... we were free once we can still go back to that way without having to die.  

Galladonsfire

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:33 pm
hence the story ^  
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 5:49 pm
KirbyVictorious
hence the story ^

yep thats why i like it so much ^^  

Galladonsfire

Chrysanthemum Moon

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:49 pm
I like it. Very deep in meaning and insight. Sometimes I can see the shackles of society. One is labeled ‘friends’, another ‘family’, and many others. It is attached to everyone and weighs them down. Those who treasure the restraints ostracize those who choose to throw them away, trading it for a new adventure and life. Perhaps we could do that one day… and society will be thrown in disorder. domokun  
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 7:42 pm
"taxes and responsibility and all the other nonsense."

I found that sort of funny that you should bring out taxes xd Sorry, I'm weird.

Overall, pretty nice. The theme of coming back from death is something that's brought up a lot in Battlestar Galactica, if you watch it at all (great show.) The Cylons, robot race that's trying to destroy the humans, starts to understand the value of life and mortality every time they get killed and re-download into a body. Eventually a group of them approach the humans wanting them to cutoff their source of regeneration since they want to become mortal.

Interesting stuff. Write more biggrin  

BlackHawkGS

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 8:13 am
>< you are such a nerd. Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:03 pm
KirbyVictorious
I don't know what all of it means anymore. I wrote this after reading the Glass Menagerie, (it's in Tom's POV) but that isn't important. Read.

~~~

If I could escape, if I was offered freedom, I'd jump at the chance. Any chance at all. Some casual comment by a drunkard on a Saturday night, not woth a nickel--why, I'd give that man a whole fortune, to use as he pleased. If an angel denied me heaven, forced me to walk the earth in ghost form in eternal purgatory, I'd fall to my knees and praise God.

Because didn't I just say I didn't want to die? I want freedom. FREEDOM, the absolute freedom that COMES with death! Imagine! Just imagine. People stick you in a hole when you're dead, forget about you, move on, you're freed from taxes and responsibility and all the other nonsense. Death is FREEDOM. The man who is dead fears nothing, suffers from nothing, not disease or poverty or the annoyances of society. He focuses on just what humanity should, that which has been lost in the melee of the world we live in now: life.

Ah, if only one could die, then live anew! If only one could be assumed dead, written as dead in all the books and papers in the world, then walk free, live his life, escape...and he could walk through his very hometown; and the shallow-minded all would fail to recognize him, merely think to themselves, Say, he looks just like the man that died just yesterday, God rest his soul. And God had.

One time when I was young, I saw a magician in St. Louis. What a man! So clever and skilled! Do you know, for his final trick he lay down in a coffin, two assistants nailed him in, but suddenly he was just gone, standing on the other side of the stage, free from the coffin without removing a single nail....

Imagine. Imagine faking a death, being mourned over, let go, buried. Imagine the closure of your family and friends, coping fine without you. THen imagine disappearing from the coffin without a tremor, without removing a nail. Imagine romaning the streets, homeless, starving, free.

See the homeless man, walking down the cold, unfeeling streets. See him head for the wilderness. See him eat of the fruits of the bare earth, see him drink the water raw from the stream, see him laugh insanely at the sky adn the moon and the world. See that man, adn don't recognize him as me; see that man and know that I am dead--born anew, as a stranger. See him, and praise God.

I cannot see that man, I see only pain and hardship in all things. The dead stay dead, unfortunately, and even if they could renew their lives again, and become unpeople, who do not exist in record but only as vague images and sounds in the recesses of the minds which once knew them, they would not enjoy life, but the act of living; the act of struggle and conflict, and all other things which we work for. There is one tangible homeless man that I can think of, though, which can almost be fit to the message of freedom. My health teacher spoke of him when he was speaking of perceptions of happiness; the story my teacher told me was of a man who waited outside a bar in the fridged winter air of chicago, proclaiming loudly that he'd never been so warm in his entire life.

[The word "unpeople" is derived from the word "unperson", which was a term used in the book 1984 describing those who had been erased from all records.]

[@Hawk: I <3 THAT SHOW!!][-nerdgasm-]  

NovaKing

NovaKing

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:16 pm
Galladonsfire
I really do love this short because it can speak to all of us here.

I'll first start off, with the catholic belief of the beginning. With Adam and Eve eating the apple we gained original sin; (I already know kurai's argument about creating us with the capacity for sin thus being original sin, but ignoring that atm) before original sin we had freedom and could do basically anything we wanted that abided by the laws of physics. Being running around naked naming creatures for the first time.

Basically beginning anew; we still have that desire... some don't see it but others do. We desire this freedom so much that we are willing to throw down the chains of society that are holding and keeping us from moving towards this freedom.

The best explanation we can see is that society as a whole (meaning all the people in general) tend to move the weaker of us in such a way as to where they gain more freedom than we have ourselves and we feel bound by society to abide by these or suffer certain consequences...consequences that this society has made up.

So there is those who accept this and move on because it is all they see before them. Then there is that few that have tasted freedom and want out and also want others to see it for themselves. These brilliant few in my opinion are going to be the future of the world, and will achieve more than any other person could ever hope to achieve.

I will also recommend those who are interested in this type of argument read the Allegory of the Cave by Socrates and see how similar this argument is and how far it goes back and how sound it is to justify.

[A jaged stone, while interesting to look at, is not as sharp as the edge of a smooth blade.]  
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:43 pm
NovaKing

I know! It was rated one of the best dramas on TV. Really Kirby, next time you have a birthday or something I'm going to mail you some seasons of Battlestar xd  

BlackHawkGS

Galladonsfire

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:11 am
BlackHawkGS
NovaKing

I know! It was rated one of the best dramas on TV. Really Kirby, next time you have a birthday or something I'm going to mail you some seasons of Battlestar xd

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff