Welcome to Gaia! ::

Readers' and Writers' Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Writing: Prose
Chapter 1- Brids of a Feather ((Critque?))

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

galswingirl

Dapper Businesswoman

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:44 pm
Well I have been trying to edit this chapter for awhile now, but I just can't seem to find the mistakes. Would you look over it and maybe help me with the things that need to be changed, please?

Chapter 1- Birds of a Feather

The clock read 2:45AM. A young woman illuminated in an aquamarine glow sat in a computer chair off to the side of the room, watching as Elliot snored peacefully.

“Elliot, wake up.” The young woman called softly.

“Humph.”

“Oh, come on! Wake up!”

He covered his head with the blanket. “It’s the weekend!” She shook her head at this; this was typical behaviour from Elliot when he was sleepy. She crossed her legs and pulled her fair hair to one side of her neck. Looking about the room, ocean eyes scanning their surroundings, and there it was. The old teddy bear she had made for him when they were younger. A meer fragment of the past.

“Come on remember when you used to wake up early on the weekends, Elliot?” And with that she disappeared, unable to stay another moment.

♪---------------------- £ --------------------♪

Elliot awoke to the sun in his face, and a little house sparrow tapping on his window. He flipped the covers over and swung his legs to the side of the bed, then walked over to the window to open it. The bird floated in and perched on the bed, it disappeared in a flash and reappeared as a human.

She seemed to be 6 or 7 years old. Her big blue innocent eyes fixed on Elliot. After pushing a few orange strands of hair behind her ears she giggled and rocked back and forth on the twin sized bed.

“A little too early in the morning to be shape shifting Isy? And why did you come to the window?” Elliot asked yawning, with sleep still caught in his eyes.

“The door is locked you know.”

“What? No it isn’t.”

He looked at his little cousin questioningly but walked to the door, it was locked. He unlocked it and looked out into the hall. Nothing and no one was around, not even his red haired Aunt.

“Where’s Aunt Molly, Isy?” Elliot asked.

“She went to work; you need to fix breakfast for us today.”

Elliot was shocked, not only had his aunt left without telling him, but she also left Isabelle with him, which was not at all sounding fun to him. The last time didn’t go over to well.

“What are you gonna make, Ellie?” She asked with a tiny smirk on her lips.

“Cereal.” He answered toneless.

“But that comes already made!” Isabelle whined as she walked to Elliot’s closet and opened the door. She pulled out a pair of glittery butterfly fairy wings.

“How’d those get in there?” Elliot asked befuddled.

“I put them there.” She giggled and put them on. She knew he was going to ask so she answered before he had gotten the chance to.

“Yesterday, when you were at school remember? I didn’t have school yesterday and you did!” She sang before she ran out the door and into her room.

Elliot closed his door and walked to the almost closed closet which had a tiny ray of light seeping through the cracks. But he was distracted by the door bell. ‘Stupid thing rings at the wrong times.’
He ran down to the front door and opened it; there stood Kyle, in all his ‘noble glory’ as he liked to call himself.
Kyle’s emerald eyes stared at him piercing a hole through his forehead, which was code for ‘want to go for a bike ride’.

“Can’t, she’s home.” Elliot shook his head, his short radish coloured hair ruffling at the slight movement.

“Ah, what will we do with the little squirt?”

“I’ll just stay here with her." Elliot sighed.

“No way, I’ll help out! Just as the noble man I am!” Elliot rolled his brown eyes and gestured for Kyle to come in. Kyle strode in the kitchen easily and stood beside the marble counter.

“Did you have breakfast yet?”

“Yeah, did you?”

“Ah, no.” Elliot said as he rummaged through the pantry for a box of his favourite cereal: Cocoa Puffs.

At that moment Isy ran into Kyle knocking him to the floor. With a large thump Kyle hit his red-haired head on the cream coloured wall behind him, leaving Isabelle sitting on his stomach smiling crookedly down at him.

"Okay, okay I know you love me but get off, that hurt."

"Sorry, Kyle.” She hugged him and quickly jumped to her feet.

“Elliot! Elliot! Your closet, it’s changing!” She yelled totally ecstatic.

“What? Calm down! What do you mean, changing?”

“Come here!” Isy ran up the stairs and turned at the top of the staircase in the direction Elliot’s room was in. Elliot and Kyle glanced at each other as if to ask what was going on. They practically flew up the stairs, tailing Isabelle.

“Right here, look!” Isabelle shouted, staring and pointing into the closet.

The closet door was wide open now revealing a village and many occupants. Thinking it was pretty cool to have a portal in your older cousin’s closet Isabelle ran in. Elliot and Kyle ran through the portal after her not wanting to get into trouble for having lost her in a magical portal that just so happened to appear in that instant. The door slammed shut behind them.

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:54 am
I like it, but there were some grammar mistakes. Do you have Microsoft word? If so, you should check the grammar; However, Microsoft Word often makes mistakes too. For example, on the second sentence, remove the word "When" because that looks kind off... yeah... you know.  

xXSakura_ShingujiXx

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 6:47 am
Quote:
The clock read 2:45AM. A young woman illuminated in an aquamarine glow sat in a computer chair off to the side of the room, watching as Elliot snored peacefully.

“Elliot, wake up,” the young woman called softly.

“Humph.”

“Oh, come on! Wake up!”

He covered his head with the blanket. “It’s the weekend!” She shook her head at this; this was typical behaviour from Elliot when he was sleepy. She crossed her legs and pulled her fair hair to one side of her neck. Looking about the room, ocean eyes scanning their surroundings, and there it was. (<-- Not a complete sentence. The following two aren't, either, but they add to a streaming-thought feel, and this one's just a little awkward.) The old teddy bear she had made for him when they were younger. A mere fragment of the past.

“Come on. Remember when you used to wake up early on the weekends, Elliot?” And with that she disappeared, unable to stay another moment.

♪---------------------- £ --------------------♪

Elliot awoke to the sun in his face, and a little house sparrow tapping on his window. He flipped the covers over and swung his legs to the side of the bed, then walked over to the window to open it. The bird floated in and perched on the bed. It disappeared in a flash and reappeared as a human.

She seemed to be 6 or 7 years old. Her big blue innocent eyes fixed on Elliot. After pushing a few strands of orange hair behind her ears she giggled and rocked back and forth on the twin sized bed.

“A little too early in the morning to be shape shifting Isy? And why did you come to the window?” Elliot asked, yawning, with sleep still caught in his eyes.

“The door is locked, you know.”

“What? No, it isn’t.”

He looked at his little cousin questioningly but walked to the door. It was locked. He unlocked it and looked out into the hall. Nothing and no one was around, not even his red-haired aunt.

“Where’s Aunt Molly, Isy?” Elliot asked.

“She went to work; you need to fix breakfast for us today.”

Elliot was shocked; not only had his aunt left without telling him, but she also left Isabelle with him, which was not at all sounding fun to him. The last time hadn't gone over too well.

“What are you gonna make, Ellie?” she asked with a tiny smirk on her lips.

“Cereal," he answered tonelessly.

“But that comes already made!” Isabelle whined as she walked to Elliot’s closet and opened the door. She pulled out a pair of glittery butterfly fairy wings.

“How’d those get in there?” Elliot asked, befuddled.

“I put them there.” She giggled and put them on. She knew he was going to ask so she answered before he had gotten the chance to.

“Yesterday, when you were at school, remember? I didn’t have school yesterday and you did!” she sang before she ran out the door and into her room.

Elliot closed his door and walked to the almost-closed closet, which had a tiny ray of light seeping through the crack. But he was distracted by the door bell. ‘Stupid thing rings at the wrong times.’
He ran down to the front door and opened it. There stood Kyle, in all his ‘noble glory’ as he liked to call it. (Noble glory is a thing, not a person.)
Kyle’s emerald eyes stared at him, piercing a hole through his forehead: code for ‘want to go for a bike ride’. <-- This isn't right, but I'm not sure what is. Maybe, "code for, "Want to go for a bike ride?"

“Can’t, she’s home.” Elliot shook his head, his short radish-coloured hair ruffling at the slight movement.

“Ah, what will we do with the little squirt?”

“I’ll just stay here with her." Elliot sighed.

“No way, I’ll help out! Just as the noble man I am!” Elliot rolled his brown eyes and gestured for Kyle to come in. Kyle strode in the kitchen easily (Why would striding into the kitchen be hard? whee ) and stood beside the marble counter.

“Did you have breakfast yet?”

“Yeah, did you?”

“Ah, no,” Elliot said as he rummaged through the pantry for a box of his favourite cereal: Cocoa Puffs.

At that moment Isy ran into Kyle, knocking him to the floor. With a large thump Kyle hit his red-haired head on the cream-coloured wall behind him, leaving Isabelle sitting on his stomach, smiling crookedly down at him.

"Okay, okay. I know you love me, but get off. That hurt."

"Sorry, Kyle.” She hugged him and quickly jumped to her feet.

“Elliot! Elliot! Your closet, it’s changing!” she yelled, totally ecstatic.

“What? Calm down! What do you mean, changing?”

“Come here!” Isy ran up the stairs and turned at the top of the staircase in the direction of Elliot’s room. Elliot and Kyle glanced at each other as if to ask what was going on. They practically flew up the stairs, tailing Isabelle.

“Right here, look!” Isabelle shouted, staring and pointing into the closet.

The closet door was wide open now, revealing a village and many occupants. Thinking it was pretty cool to have a portal in her older cousin’s closet, Isabelle ran in. Elliot and Kyle ran through the portal after her, not wanting to get into trouble for having lost her in a magical portal that just so happened to appear in that instant. The door slammed shut behind them.

Grammatical errors aside, I think you mention that your characters are redheads a little too often. The last paragraph is awkward in structure, but a great way to end the chapter. I know I'm wondering.

Er...and my punctuation corrections are in bold as well, but difficult to see. Suffice to say you're missing some commas, had some run-on sentences (but not many), and when someone is speaking,, you tend to get your punctuation confused. Example:

It's not:
"Hello, I'm Sue." she said.

It is:
"Hello, I'm Sue, " she said.

Hope this helped.  
Writing: Prose

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items