Blood Pacts ~ The Literate Vampire/Werewolf RP

Back to Guilds

Reply Story Development Panel
Gameplay Development Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bottom line: do you want to just straight-up RP this or use dice/other methods?
  Just words, no numbers plz D:
  Dice dice dice dice dice. (trust me I can make it work)
  Other...?
View Results

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:18 pm
Essentially I was trying to decide wether to use a roll-based system, which would more appropriately deal with the high potential for spells to be interrupted and the like. Perhaps we could even develop character classes and perhaps even develop our own D&D-like take on this concept? Feedback please!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:26 pm
I am a believer in a die-based system, and i know a guy who actually invented a dice roll program in C++ that can roll an unlimited number of die an unlimited number of times (i wouldn't reccomend trying that though) and even assign characters to each die... but i'd have to ask him for the link to it again. it's a very cool and useful program if you have windows (Sorry, chibi XD)

Though i've never actually played D&D, i like the concept. it seems simple enough, if you have a smart enough GM/DM

CLasses are always a good thing. the more you have, the more diverse yet understandable your characters can be.  

Scouter Kai

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50

Ronyo Storm

Werewolf

8,900 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:23 pm
As much as I love D&D I am in the idea of no die system. It seems that everyone here is component enough and respects each other so certain idea can be worked out. Certain battles might need the combatants doing a bit of PMing but I think the trust factor is one thing we can actually rely on this go around.

Plus in forum Rps the die system can kill a person’s momentum in the moment of writing. Thinking I have to see if this hits before I edit and write it appropriately.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:51 am
Hmmm you're right about that one, but I'm not sure anyone would really want to make their character accidentally blast a Spirit Magick spell off in their own face, or allow their Ritual spell to get interrupted by someone beating on them. Rolling the dice always gives that small chance of variable failure, which is why I like D&D: there's always something that can go wrong. I'd like to get some feedback from everyone else to see what the overall opinion is. If it's negative, I'll drop it : /

Perhaps the system would go, you have a separate thread for the dice rolls, or you simply post the action you're attempting to perform, and have a second post to make the roll then edit it to RP your results. I'm just a D&D junkie, so I love dice. Heh.  

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

Scouter Kai

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:57 am
There is another method with dice that i find works very well, but is a bit more work for the GM, which is everyone posts an action, stating what they want to do and how they are going about it, once everyone in the fight has taken their turn, the GM rolls the dice and figures out who was successful and how successful the move was, then the players interpret that into their next post, and move on to their next action or whatever.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:20 am
I think that would slow down the RP, since it would be based on the GMs schedule.  

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

Scouter Kai

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:23 am
It can, yes, if the GMs are lame or not there or something. We've had it working with several GM's doing the rolling at once, but they were in constant contact and were assigned to specific fights/characters.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:42 am
sweatdrop Yes... lame.... *cough*  

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

Mistaken Chaos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:48 am
Is dice necessary?
We use magick on Alvirad without dice...

I say we leave it as a regular roleplay, no need to make it any more complicated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:21 pm

But I heart dice...

Chibi-Teddo
Captain

Mistaken Chaos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:04 pm
Yes yes, dice is nice.
I just rhymed.... >.>

But it adds complication to things that is unnecessary.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:51 pm
I personally am not for the whole dicerolling in a forum based rp. It works face to face, in real time, but elsewise things get weird.

If a compromise must be made I suggest this.
1- pick out those abilities we want to have a completely random chance of failure on. Those are the things that need dice.

2- These extremely difficult actions should be roleplayed as such. But unless they are being used in combat against another player there is no need to roll it. I feel very good about the honor of all the players here, we may not blow our faces up on our own, but I think some of us have the grace to fail every now and then.

3- when in combat, should we choose a dice rolling system. I believe it would keep things running faster and more smoothly if you used the dice roll that is on the post you're responding to. Again, honor is important here.

An example: Say I am fighting against miss Chaos. I know her character uses spirit magic, but I don't know if she wants to use it in this fight. Because of this when I attack her with my longsword, I add a dice roll action to it anyway, so that she Has the option of responding with spirit magic.

This would mean that anyone involved in a "die battle" would need to make a roll on their post, whether they use the dice or not. I suppose for larger scale battles we might need something different.

This is why I don't like bringing dice into it, it makes things far too complicated.

Ellenoir
Crew

Blessed Lunatic

Ronyo Storm

Werewolf

8,900 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:40 pm
I agree on the face to face deal. Dice are great when everyone is sitting around a table and wathcing. In a forum Rp it just gets, well...as everyone else has put it complicated. That seems to be the main jest here.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:07 pm
True. although i do come from another RP site that commonly uses die, they have a system, and everyone is used to it, and it's got a lot of work put into it. No matter how hard we try, we are not going to come anywhere close to an RP that has been going on for 8 years if we're simply using a gaia guild.

And besides, I removed the dice idea from my own RP on Gaia simply because it was too complicated.  

Scouter Kai

4,000 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Gaian 50

Ronyo Storm

Werewolf

8,900 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:58 pm
Also as a quick thought. We have only been discusing the matter of dice in terms of the Lycan's magick sysytem. What about the Vampires? Even if they use technology like the Lycans use magic; a gun dosen't have the same fail rate as a spell. It seems the way to go is just great role-playing, and I also agree with El on the fact of having the grace to fail once in awhile if the situation calls for it. If anone does do something odd or to well done there are always ways around and through them. It also gives a bit of a challenge to figure out how to size up your enemy.

(forgive the spelling and grammer errors here. I'm doing this on a school lab top before class. no time to edit.)  
Story Development Panel

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff