Reply Atalantë - A new beginning
Need your LOTR Questions answered? Me too! Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ginny97263

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:46 pm
This is the place where people with confusion over something LOTR related can have their questions answeed. Also, smart people can come here to answer questions! (Yeah I know that was really obvious)

1st Question-Is there a difference between Tinuviel and Luthien? I thought Tinuviel was her first name and Luthien was where she was from, like Eowyn of Rohan, but everyone just calls her Luthien, so....  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:45 pm
No, Luthien is her first name, but Beren gave her the name Tinuviel, meaning "nightingale", I think... It a sort of nickname/title/term of endearment.  

Galad Aglaron
Crew

Rudhe
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:09 am
Yus, I think Luthien means enchantment, if I remember correctly...

I think the same went for Arwen. To her people she was known as Undomiel, which is evening star or twilight star. Her first name, Arwen meaning noble woman.

Wait....wikipedia says differently. Later name is epessë apparently. would that apply to Luthien as well?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:41 am
About epessi:
PoME
In addition [to mother-names] any of the Eldar might acquire an epessë (after-name) not necessarily given by their own kin, a nickname - mostly given as a title of admiration or honour.

So epessë = nickname/title/term of endearment and applies to Luthien as well as Arwen.  

[Cresenne]
Crew

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:51 am
It's like Elrond Half-Elven, or Aragorn Elessar, or Beren Barahir, or Fatty Bolger...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:44 am
Not entirely.
'Beren Barahirion' is a patronymic, meaning 'Beren son of Barahir'.
'Fatty Bolger' is just a first-name, last-name combo.

Some examples of epessi (besides your first two) might be Beren Erchamion or Galadriel.

[Cresenne]
Crew

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:51 am
I meant to say Erchamion... sweatdrop Or did I mean to say Camlost? Which is which?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:58 am
xd
Erchamion means 'One-handed', and it's an epessë that was used for Beren.
Camlost means 'Empty-handed', and it's actually a kilmessë (self-name) that Beren gave himself before Thingol's throne.

[Cresenne]
Crew

Galad Aglaron
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 6:25 pm
Right! Thanks! sweatdrop I have to read Silmarillion again...  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:51 am
Yus yus me too ^^. I finally bought a copy last week rofl  

Rudhe
Captain

The Love of Money

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:52 pm

I have lots of questions.

1. Why does Cirdan have a beard? Elves don't have beards.The prologue in FotR told me so.

2. Was Sam at Bilbo's 111th? If you look at the hobbit ancestries at the end of RotK, all the names of those who were at the party were underlined, but Sam wasn't, though I find it odd that someone who wasn't invited to be telling everyone that everyone's invited.

3. In Akallabeth, it said that mortals would wither in the Undying Lands, so what's up with Frodo and Bilbo going there? Do you think they withered?

4. Who is Tom Bombadil? biggrin

That's all I can think of right now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:05 am
Tom Bombadil is Oprah! blaugh  

Galad Aglaron
Crew

The Love of Money

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:19 am
Galad Damodred
Tom Bombadil is Oprah! blaugh
Makes enough sense! xd Everybody seems to be Oprah these days...  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:12 pm
La-la-dida-la-la

I have lots of questions.

Yay! Questions!

Quote:
1. Why does Cirdan have a beard? Elves don't have beards.The prologue in FotR told me so.

Only the extremely old elves have beards, as they are in the "third cycle" of life. Círdan is a rather old elf (like, Cuiviénen old), having lived his entire life in Middle-earth, which helps the aging process somewhat, and he apparently doesn't like to shave, so he has a beard.
The only other elf, as far as I know, who has a beard is Mahtan, Nerdanel's father, though he's only in the "second cycle" of life.

Quote:
2. Was Sam at Bilbo's 111th? If you look at the hobbit ancestries at the end of RotK, all the names of those who were at the party were underlined, but Sam wasn't, though I find it odd that someone who wasn't invited to be telling everyone that everyone's invited.

I suppose, though I really don't know the exact reason, that Sam (and his father) were servants, and so not really 'invited' to the party.
Quote:
3. In Akallabeth, it said that mortals would wither in the Undying Lands, so what's up with Frodo and Bilbo going there? Do you think they withered?

The Undying Lands include only Valinor, not Tol Eressëa, which is where Frodo and Bilbo (and later Sam) went.

Quote:
4. Who is Tom Bombadil? biggrin

This is Tom Bombadil. xd  

[Cresenne]
Crew

The Love of Money

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:22 pm
[Cresenne]
I suppose, though I really don't know the exact reason, that Sam (and his father) were servants, and so not really 'invited' to the party.
That's sad! crying I thought that might be the thing, but just... crying
But I'm not really sure if that's it because in the note before the family trees it says "In addition some genealogical information is provided concerning Samwise" blah blah blah... so maybe that could be explained by saying that that's just a chart separate from those with parts underlined...

Tom Bombadil is a bunch of essays? I KNEW IT!

Thanks so much Cresenne.  
Atalantë - A new beginning

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces