Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I was truely touched by a christian... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you be touched? Would you lie about your atheism?
  Yes and YES!!!
  Yes and no.
  No and yes.
  No and no.
View Results

Dirty Dirty Shisno

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:13 am
So all the christians I had met before ALL told me that I was going to hell for not believeing in god or, well, HELL. And then I met this one little eight year old girl, young yes but wise beyond her years. She told me straight to my face that those other people were, quote unquote "big fat meanies" and that all I had to do to get into heaven was lead a good life. And that it really didn't matter that I don't believe NOW because when I GET THERE I'll have no choice. Now obviously this didn't result in my instantaneous conversion or anything but it touched me deeply and I gave her the two packs of skittles I had on me. When she asked why I simply replied because she was the nicest christian I had ever met and she had earned them. Now here's where the story goes rotten. She thanks me and runs over to her father who asks where she got them like a responsible parent. She pointed at me said that nice atheist gave them to me. I smile and wave and the father takes the skittles from her throws them on the ground and stomps them into POWDER. The daughter starts crying and I'm now wearing a huge frown. The father yells at me, NO DAUGHTER OF MINE IS EATING DEVIL CANDY!!! And drags the daughter off still sobbing. I will remember that little girl forever and how once, in my life, I wished that I had lied about my atheism. I would without a second thought have told her right to her face that I was christian losing the experience of her telling me about my future trip to heaven and losing that touching moment just so that little girl didn't have to lose her candy. gonk Discuss, nice christians and the horrible people who raise them.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:19 am
...just, wow. That father... I don't think one should do that to a kid.
That's probably going to teach her that being nice to non-christians is bad.
I mean, I can understand not letting your kid eat food from strangers, but devil-candy? That's overreacting.
I'm sorry to hear about this.

Let's see... Nice christians... I don't come into contact with the religious often, but I did go to a week-long chruch camp.
Chris, the dean, nice guy there. He's probably the only person I've ever heard to say "God was using Satan as a pawn in his own higher plans." instead of blaming everything that went wrong on Satan. I have to admire him for that.  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:38 am
Worst case scenario: He psychologically abuses her using religion as a legal justification. She becomes a clone of him.

Best case scenario: The "nice atheist" and "mean daddy" image has a lasting effect on her.

And the first part of that, really is inspiring.
I almost feel a shred of faith in humanity returning. ;-;  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:59 pm
User Image

Wow. That man is an embarrassment to all of humanity. I sincerely hope his sweet little girl doesn't end up with his ideas in her head. I hope she learns what it means to think for herself before her father ruins her.

User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

[The Looney Bin]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:12 pm
User Image

That's horrific eek .
To know that there are still people like that in the world is the worst thing sad .
Lucky for me, where I live that isn't an issue, in fact, I've only met one person who would act like that.
But I am lucky.

Anyway, it's people like her dad that should all be packed up into plastic and put through a meat grinder [/sarcasm].
But really confused .
I hope that that girl grows up with the ideas that she told you, instead of what her father tries to hammer into her head.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:15 pm
That girl....she is indeed wise beyond her years. That is the second time I ever heard someone say something like that. It's truly inspiring and kinda gives me a little hope in that there really are some really decent religious people out there and not intolerant assholes like her father. Chances are he's probably hammering the idea that non-believers are evil and that she should invoke some Old Testament law upon all the non-believers.

Still, I hope that when she grows up she retains that philosophy and respects the beliefs of people.  

Arios V

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:29 pm

Wow. Unlike her father, the girl actually could have a chance of witnessing to someone by just being nice and friendly. I don't think they ever consider that though. Leading by example sure is hard for some people and I hope it doesn't rub off on his daughter.
I remember being taught in sunday school many many years ago that it is important to be kind and be friendly with non-believers because even if you can't witness directly to them, if they aren't interested or whatever, then you can always witness by example of your life.
So I think that if someone really cares about where you were going to spend eternity then they would act more like that girl did, definitely not like her father. ;0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:50 pm

I only hope that the young girl remembers you. sad

JadeDragonSoul

T3xtual Harassm3nt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:20 pm
that is really quite sad, that girl's father is a jerk...
i wonder what my dad will say when he finds out im an atheist....  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:08 pm
That is dreadful sad I can't believe the father, what hideous being... just because one is an atheist does not relatively mean they are the devil's apprentice.

That is one sweet little girl... not a fan of the reproductive system, but she sounds brilliant.

Goddess of the Coulee

Sex! at the Disco

4,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:07 am
I cannot fathom that.

How could you do something so traumatizing to a child? I can understand if they were a teen, capable of reasoning things out and such, but children are so impressionable, and look to their parents for what is right.

That's what I hate about raising kids in a religious fundamentalist setting--you create all this damage that they sometimes can't move past.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:19 pm
Sex! at the Disco
I cannot fathom that.

How could you do something so traumatizing to a child? I can understand if they were a teen, capable of reasoning things out and such, but children are so impressionable, and look to their parents for what is right.

That's what I hate about raising kids in a religious fundamentalist setting--you create all this damage that they sometimes can't move past.

Ditto.

This story almost made me cry cry I really hope she holds onto those ideas she obviously came up with herself. She's the kind of religious person that needs to be emulated.  

Teoka

Lunar Falcon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:27 pm
That's horrible. I hope the poor girl doesn't wind up just like her father.

I've actually met a Christian couple I like very much. Apparently they've tried to raise their children to act the same way as them so here's a good story at least.
I'm away from home on an internship currently and my father had made friends with these people over the past few years. They're very religious and have invited me over for dinner with them before and I hold their hands and bow my head while they say grace to be polite. I've discussed some religion with them and told them some of my experiences and they were honestly appalled to hear what some 'Christians' have said and done around me and the area where I live in the Bible belt. The wife grabbed me and gave me a huge hug and apologized profusely for some people warping their religion so horribly. I've really come to adore this old couple, they are what religious folk should be the way I see it. They don't proselytize to me, they make sure I'm eating healthy, and make me feel welcome in their home. I'm just glad to know that there are some very kind, very reasonable Christians around.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:13 pm
Lunar Falcon
That's horrible. I hope the poor girl doesn't wind up just like her father.

I've actually met a Christian couple I like very much. Apparently they've tried to raise their children to act the same way as them so here's a good story at least.
I'm away from home on an internship currently and my father had made friends with these people over the past few years. They're very religious and have invited me over for dinner with them before and I hold their hands and bow my head while they say grace to be polite. I've discussed some religion with them and told them some of my experiences and they were honestly appalled to hear what some 'Christians' have said and done around me and the area where I live in the Bible belt. The wife grabbed me and gave me a huge hug and apologized profusely for some people warping their religion so horribly. I've really come to adore this old couple, they are what religious folk should be the way I see it. They don't proselytize to me, they make sure I'm eating healthy, and make me feel welcome in their home. I'm just glad to know that there are some very kind, very reasonable Christians around.

I know so many nice people like that! It's these narrow-minded fundamentalists that give everybody, theist and atheist alike, grief.  

Sex! at the Disco

4,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

b-asinine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:36 am
It is people like that who make me question my love of religion.

I know a few "good" Christians - the accepting kind. I use her mentality quite a bit - as long as I live a good life and there turns out to be a God/god, then I know that, at least, I will find my place in their version of Heaven. And if there is no God/god, then I lead a good life. I believe it is a win/win situation.

I just wish some religious people wouldn't have such a parochial mindset when it comes to others who do not share their religious convictions.

-b.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces