Welcome to Gaia! ::

HighTail Cafe (Furry Guild)

Back to Guilds

HTC is your one stop for all things furry on Gaia! 

Tags: furry, anthro, anthropomorphic, LGBT, roleplay 

Reply Serious discussion & Rants
Should I...? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should I tell them?
  Yes ^.^
  No... T.T
View Results

e621

Feral Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:04 am
Most of the non-furs in the Lifestyle section of the regular Gaia Forums say I should keep this held in, but I'm confused about what to do.

Should I tell my parents about being fur and all of that? I really hate to keep things from them, but I don't really have the courage to come right out and say "Hey, I'm a furry!" to their face. I've tried hinting around, and neither of them get it. I doubt either of them even know what a furry is.

So what should I do, in your opinions?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:41 pm
Hmm,it depends on what kind of furry you are.Ther're quite a few sub-catagoeries of fur.There're simply those that like anthros,those that believe they're an animal in a human body,those that like yiff,and many more.I'm somewhat of a mix of different catagories,I like clean anthro art more so then yiff(althogh a good yiff is fine every so often) and I'm a fan of anthros.I told my mom I'm a fur and ALL of what I liek to do,but not my dad.He would kill if he knew what yiff was.

It basiclly comes down to what kind of fur you are(what you're into)and how your parents take things.My advise would to just start with telling them that furries are fans of anthro characters.There's no harm there 3nodding  

Dark_Dragon_Bagera

e621

Feral Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:39 pm
My parents are not exact respectful, so I don't know if that'd work. Not to mention they're both really old-school and I doubt they even know what furry or anthro is. If I said anything at all about the subject they'd just bother me until I finished.

As far as what I am... big fan of anthros, big fan of normal yiff (No musclefurs/herms/etc.. )

My mom would have a problem with the yiff because she's a crazy super-christian and she thinks I am too.

My dad'd have a problem with both, enough so where it'd pretty much shatter his entire world. Out of three, he swears I'm the first good kid he's had (Haven't gotten into drugs, etc) and telling him about all this stuff would really shake him up.

What I thought I might be able to do would be to tell my sister. She's 33, married, and has a few kids of her own. I feel a lot more open to her than I do to my parents, but do you think that having her tell my parents and having my parents confront me about it would be better than me starting the discussion?

Or... I was thinking of opening a page about furries and just leaving it on the conputer screen for one of them to find.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:57 pm
To start off, let me ask you some questions about your fursona. What animal is it? For me, I'm a dog, and I bring dogs up all the time. I've also enjoyed playing the game of "If you were an animal, what would it be and why" in front of my folks so that they would get some sort of an idea. I haven't come out of the fur closet yet about being a furry, but I've been doing that as a way of trying to get them used to the idea of me being a fur.

Other than you being a fan of anthros (and yiff), do you have any other interests in being a fur? Personally, I loth yiff and I'm a strait fur, but there are others who are different and that's totally fine. Since you like anthros, you might want to mention some anthro cartoon shows or movies that feature an animal of your fursona. Perhaps your folks will be familiar with the show from seeing you watch it while you were growing up. Disney is a great place to start for this.

Since your folks are uber Christians, you might want to ask them some questions about animals in the Bible. That might give you an idea about where they are coming from.

I hope this helps you out.
IEditYourWorld  

IEditYourWorld

e621

Feral Enthusiast

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:35 pm
Thanks, IEditYourWorld. I've tried hinting around with incredibly obvious hints... they just don't catch on. I'd have to explain the entire thing to them. And I didn't really watch cartoons as a young child so i don't really know any... I've been a nerd my whole life, grew up playing video games.

I've tried stuff like the "What animal and why" thing, but I don't think they get the idea.

I'm a fox, and I try to bring them up all the time. Whenever I do me and my mom just end up getting into an argument about the fur coat industry.

I've kinda done that cartoon thing, but with games. I've got several games with anthro-esque characters, and I almost always use them as the primary fighter and try to start conversation about it. Hell, I've been as obvious as saying "I'd rather be like that than a human" and they still didnt catch on.

As far the Bible thing... The only instance I can think of foxes being mentioned is when it's talking about mankind's refuge or something. It's something like "The birds of the heavens have their nests, as do foxes have their dens. But as for the son of man... something something something."  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:47 am
Hmm,I don't know exactly how your parents are,but my family is Christian as well.(as am I)I'm mostly a fur because I like the clean(and occasional yiff)art and I have many animal traits.My dad doesn't know what yiff is,and he was more then a little weirded out when I made a fursuit,but things are ok I guess.You may not get them to completely accept the furry thing,but you may be able to work out an understanding.Oh,and a good Disney furry movie would be Robin Hood.That turned more then a few into furs.  

Dark_Dragon_Bagera

e621

Feral Enthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:49 pm
That actually wouldn't be a half bad idea...
Once I get a job I could maybe buy all the materials and just start working on a suit... once they ask it'd be the perfect time to explain it, and then i might be able to pass it off as a fanclub... they had no problem with me doing some minor cosplay to a local anime thing.

But as far as accepting it... I know they won't. At all.

And I think I've seen a few minutes of that movie... I may look that up and see what I can do.

Again, thanks for helping me out, everyone.

Oh yeah! I did end up telling one of my friends from school... It went incredibly well. Not only do they accept furs for who they are, but they told me that they find furs are a bit cute. Only a few more people from school to fess up to, and then I'll see about trying with my parents (again)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:02 pm
Good luck to you then dear^^  

Dark_Dragon_Bagera

e621

Feral Enthusiast

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:49 pm
Thank you, I'm pretty sure I'll end up needing it.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 5:44 pm
Wicked Albel Nox
Thanks, IEditYourWorld. I've tried hinting around with incredibly obvious hints... they just don't catch on. I'd have to explain the entire thing to them. And I didn't really watch cartoons as a young child so i don't really know any... I've been a nerd my whole life, grew up playing video games.

I've tried stuff like the "What animal and why" thing, but I don't think they get the idea.

I'm a fox, and I try to bring them up all the time. Whenever I do me and my mom just end up getting into an argument about the fur coat industry.

I've kinda done that cartoon thing, but with games. I've got several games with anthro-esque characters, and I almost always use them as the primary fighter and try to start conversation about it. Hell, I've been as obvious as saying "I'd rather be like that than a human" and they still didnt catch on.

As far the Bible thing... The only instance I can think of foxes being mentioned is when it's talking about mankind's refuge or something. It's something like "The birds of the heavens have their nests, as do foxes have their dens. But as for the son of man... something something something."

Don't use that quote, from the sounds of it that is saying "We are human and they are animals keep seperate" Which was kinda in the beginning, too. I can't really tell you to do it or not, because I haven't come clean with my dad (although he has seen all of my artwork.... minus the yiff). If this is so scary for you now, chances are this isn't the right time to break it to them. Wait a while until you feel comfortable.  

Snapplejack

ocalhoun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:10 am
Well, you could just do what you like, without trying to hide anything (besides the yiff part perhaps), and if they mention it, just act like it is a matter of course, and nothing strange at all... "Oh, yeah, you didn't know I was a furry? I thought everybody knew it. I've been one for, like, forever." If they don't ask about it, don't worry about it.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:59 am
If they don't even know what furry is, there's no reason to even worry about them. It'd do more harm than good if they are super christians. blaugh

Edit: My b/f and I are furries, his parents have no clue what furries are. Both of them like looking at my artwork and call them "cat people". As for my own mother, no clue about whether she knows what they are or not. I never talk to her  

Alektorphobia

Saga Shadow

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:45 pm
So, I don't think its a big enough deal that you need to tell your parents. some things are better kept secret, anyway. I haven't told my parents that i'm a furry, because i haven't seen the need to. although, if it is so important to you that you tell them, i would say just come outright and say it. if your parents really love you, then they will accept it and you can move on with your life. if not. . . well, then you have bigger problems that i can't help you with. I am a Christian myself, and i'm certain that my Christian parents would accept who i am if i told them, and yours should too.  
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:27 pm
Its Your Mom And Dad, I'm Sure They Will Still Think Of You As There Offspring And Still Love You The Same Way No Matter What You Are.
When I Told My Forks That I Was A Furry They At First Did Not Know What To Do But They Still Loved Me And After A Bit They Knew That Its Still Me, I'm Still The Same Kid Who They Raised From A Cub. I Feel A Lot Better Now That They Know And All. So Tell Them, They Well Understand. 3nodding  

Nevers0ft

The Committee Staff Raider

1,700 Points
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100

00Shoe
Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 11:04 am
I don't think any one of us here can offer you an answer. This is something that you will have to decide on your own.

Ask your self a few questions:

Does them knowing actually change anything?
What are the bad things that could come from me telling them?
Will they even care?

---

Personally I see no reason to tell anyone I am a furry, but that is just me. You are a different person, so what works for me might not work for you.  
Serious discussion & Rants

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff