Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Knit or crochet?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Knit or crochet?
  Knit!
  Crochet!
  Both!
  Neither, you grannys! (jk, lol)
View Results

Taonuviel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 9:49 pm
SURELY this has been polled before? What's your favorite? For additional discussion, which did you learn first? Which do you prefer for various types of projects? Which do you use more often?

I'm very proficient in crochet, and have done it for 13-15 years. But I'm learning knitting recently, and like it too. I think crochet is more versatile, but often knits feel more comfortable in direct-on-skin items (sweaters, tops - as opposed to shawls/ponchos, etc.)  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:58 pm
I made many unsuccessful attempts to learn to knit or crochet when I was younger. More recently, I tried to teach myself to knit about 3 years ago, failed miserably, and finally picked it up again a little over a year ago when I took a class and it just clicked. I haven't attempted to relearn crocheting yet, other then using a minimal amount to finish off a knitting project. I plan to, just haven't gotten to it. (As can be assumed, I have a hard time picking up a new skill so I'm learning to just take it one thing at a time until I really have it down pat.)

It seems like there are some things that work better in crochet and some work better in knit.

For clothing, I prefer the look of knit in general. I really like cablework and other little fancy details like that. Though I have seen some crochet skirts I really like as well. smile I tend to like the look of crocheted toys to knit ones, but once again, it depends on the toy.

I'll just go for the, "I like yarn crafts, period," opinion. blaugh  

Pirate Dirge

Hygge Agenda

44,725 Points
  • My Feminist Agenda 500
  • Cozy Life 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100

Supertheory

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:21 pm
I prefer crochet because I'm more comfortable with it. I've been doing it as long as I can remember. Knitting still requires thought. I would have to agree that crochet is more versatile. Plus, I like being able to make circular things with only one hook (as opposed to what, 4 needles?)  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:34 pm
I knit, though not very well. I coulfn't master even the simplest cable, so I'm left with increasing and decreasing, or switching out colors. ^^; Wish I had better luck with crochet. Amigurumi looks like fun....  

Lychee Fruit

Dangerous Stalker

15,900 Points
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100

Supertheory

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:04 pm
Lychee Fruit
I knit, though not very well. I coulfn't master even the simplest cable, so I'm left with increasing and decreasing, or switching out colors. ^^; Wish I had better luck with crochet. Amigurumi looks like fun....

OMG HI LYCHEE!!

Amigurumi is really fun. The only stitch you need to know is a single crochet. Most are worked as a spiral, not in rows. Make sure you invest in those little plastic stitch markers and you'll do just fine.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:53 am
Primarily I knit but I learnt to crochet to edge things and now I can do that too.

I can't crochet and do anything else really so knitting is my go to craft if I'm not sewing smile

I love amigurumi but don't make them so often.  

s.t.a.r.r.y

CMaSiriusgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:55 pm
I like knitting better. I mainly knit and I like the way it looks. For some reason I don't like the way crochet pieces look... I'm strange that way...  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:32 am
I learned to knit in the 5th grade. (thank you mom, who is a master knitter with bragging rights) I made a garter stitch sampler and never picked up a pair of needles. I then picked up a hook my Sophmore year of high school. I quickly became self taught in a lot of stuff. Then I just recently picked knitting up again. So my statement is...
I can do both, but prefer Crochet.
Also learning
Bobbin Lace.  

sonicrunner001

Fashionable Friend

9,025 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Friendly 100

bookaholic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:34 pm
It's rather close, being that I like them for different projects, but I think the clincher for me is the fact that with crochet you only have to unravel one loop at a time rather than 70. So crochet (because I tend to mess up. A LOT.)  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:13 pm
I knit, and I knit well, or like to think I do. I learned how to crochet chains, do machrame, and sew when I was about seven or eight years old. However, I taught myself how to knit in high school and have been hooked (needled) ever since. I would like to go back and learn some crochet, but I haven't found someone to help me out with that.

bookaholic: Your signature image rocks my socks! May I borrow it?  

Knit Happens

6,450 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items