Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Needed Constitutional Amendments

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lord Bitememan
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:11 am
It occurred to me that the current Constitution is badly in need of some amendments to clear up confusion on modern issues vexing society. The two new amendments would be:

Amendment XXVIII: The Right to Privacy

Amendment XXIX: The Limits on the Commerce Clause

Why?

Simple, the framers of the Constitution included provisions which suggested a right to privacy in some regards, but they never bothered to go beyond that to define the scope and limits of such a right. The courts have from time to time opined that such a right as a right to privacy exists, but other courts have serverely curtailed similar protections extended by such decisions on the pretext that the Constitution contains no right to privacy.

On a similar vein, the Commerce Clause of the Constitution was included but never expounded upon to sum up its exact scope and limitations. The Commerce Clause was then used as a pretext for everything from desegregation to establishing a federal civil remedy for cases of rape. The courts then either used or disposed of this argument with little in the way of any coherance. Segregation in private institutions is illegal under the Commerce Clause because it inhibits commerce between the states (not, as it should be, under the 14th Amendment and ensuing 1964 Civil Rights Act), but a federal civil remedy for rape was struck down as being beyond the Commerce Clause. An Amendment to the Constitution is needed defining the exact scope of the Clause so as to remedy the confused stance of the courts on the issue once and for all.

Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:14 pm
I have a great one:

Amendment XXX: All government must ******** off from peoples personal lives. Meaning no balloon bans and allowing people to smoke as much pot, drink as much bear, and talk in a British accent till their hearts content.  

stareyed_in_LA

The Hallowed Mouse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:10 am
XXXI

i. The Government shall allow the right to live for all human beings that are innocent until proven guilty (banning abortion.) The United States of America defines life at conjugation.
ii. In the Case that the person carrying the child is at risk with her life a decision may be made to abort the fetus

XXXII

i. The Supreme Court is not elligable to make laws such as in the case of "Judicial Review"
ii. In the case that an unconstitutional law is being passed the Supreme Court may call it unconstitutional. This further defines that the courts most high duty is to declare innocent or guilty and give punishment, not to declare what is right and wrong.

XXXIII

i. The process of the Electoral College is hereby abolished.
ii. To replace this system a new one will take it's place making the federal elections dealing with Direct Popular Vote.

@Lord Biteman --- I like those two, and I do agree they need to fix up on the constitution due to it not really being used anymore... they just make laws they want  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games