Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Atheists are weeds? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Surprised?
  Ah it's christians
  Wow
  psh I've seen worse
View Results

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:04 pm
There was a sermon today that I was forced to attend...Guess why?
People without god in their lives have a sickness growing inside them and only god could save me. It hurt that they said I was a weed and something was wrong with me...I ended up crying in a backroom because my grandparents knew this was going to happen and they let it.

It was nasty...But nothings wrong with me if anything somethings wrong with them trying to change me!!! I hate stupid people...  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:11 pm
All they heard was "bad things in the world." Blind enemies.

They expected anyone else to hear "calling toward the light."

It's easy to feel good about hurting an "enemy" you don't even personally know.  

Tenth Speed Writer

b-asinine

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:48 am
"We hate some persons because we do not know them; and we will not know them because we hate them."

-Charles Caleb Colton (1780 - 1832)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:13 pm
b-asinine
"We hate some persons because we do not know them; and we will not know them because we hate them."

Good quote. Very true as well.  

Arios V

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:35 am
But remeber there are children on fire at devils lake.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:30 pm
Arios V
b-asinine

Good quote. Very true as well.

I'm just chock full of quotes.  

b-asinine

Dirty Dirty Shisno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:17 am
That really sucks but I am an atheist (duh) and frankly we fit one of the two requirements to be weeds. We are, unwanted. We're not plants but we are unwanted so that does make us half weeds in my mind. *shrug* Those people were dicks to you and I'm sorry. sad  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:56 pm
Dirty Dirty Shisno
That really sucks but I am an atheist (duh) and frankly we fit one of the two requirements to be weeds. We are, unwanted. We're not plants but we are unwanted so that does make us half weeds in my mind. *shrug* Those people were dicks to you and I'm sorry. sad

Thanks, but yeah I guess we are but if you think about it that way...everyones a weed. Everyones unwanted in some way or another. ...or I'm just being way to optimistric today...  

Crooked_Lamb

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:54 pm
Lyoko_Alchemist
People without god in their lives have a sickness growing inside them and only god could save me. It hurt that they said I was a weed and something was wrong with me...I ended up crying in a backroom because my grandparents knew this was going to happen and they let it.

It was nasty...But nothings wrong with me if anything somethings wrong with them trying to change me!!! I hate stupid people...

You shouldn't let stuff like that get to you. It's not your fault that the person giving that sermon is full of it.

Atheists are not weeds. They are people. They are people who choose to not believe. In a way, a religious person is more like a weed, and an atheist more like a bird, because religious people are held down by the roots of their religion and it's sometimes inane rules, while atheists are allow to fly freely, choosing for themselves what is right and what is wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:18 pm
User Image

I'd contest your point that an atheist is necessarily a person who chooses not to believe. For some, that may be the case. However, for me - for a long, long time I wanted to believe very badly; I chose TO believe - but I found that I really can't believe in light of the things I've seen, thought, studied, etc. I don't choose not to believe; it's not something I can really help.

User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:16 pm
Sanguvixen
Lyoko_Alchemist

You shouldn't let stuff like that get to you. It's not your fault that the person giving that sermon is full of it.

Atheists are not weeds. They are people. They are people who choose to not believe. In a way, a religious person is more like a weed, and an atheist more like a bird, because religious people are held down by the roots of their religion and it's sometimes inane rules, while atheists are allow to fly freely, choosing for themselves what is right and what is wrong.

Great points. I always thought of Atheists as free or...more open exactly like a bird. Atheists are open to most ideas (Except the idea of a god of course) and think freely by their own hands. very refreshing.

And for destroyer...Ignorance is bliss? xp But at least you've seen with open eyes instead of closed.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:07 am
I'm so sorry you had to listen to that awful sermon.... it sounds like your grandparents are really trying to get you "back on the right path". In my opinion, if those people really were following the New Testament they would have preached about love and understanding.

(I don't believe in Jesus or anything, but I'm pretty sure that was the ORIGINAL christian message, however warped and distorted it is now)

I want to encourage you to stay strong and try not to let it get to you. You have a community here who supports you and understands exactly what you're going through. We all must face ignorance and prejudice in our daily lives-- you just got a huge load of crap thrown at you all at xp

The comment birds is nice. I agree, atheism has been very freeing for me. We are not weeds. You can think of the haters as the real weeds of society, because they pop up EVERYWHERE spreading unwanted animosity to the world.... We are rarer more exotic flowers. Certainly more original.  

Serendipity Splendor

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:04 am
Lyoko_Alchemist
Sanguvixen
Lyoko_Alchemist

Great points. I always thought of Atheists as free or...more open exactly like a bird. Atheists are open to most ideas (Except the idea of a god of course) and think freely by their own hands. very refreshing.

And for destroyer...Ignorance is bliss? xp But at least you've seen with open eyes instead of closed.

Thank you.

Well....some Atheists are open to more ideas. Not all of them are....there are some pretty close minded people out there who happen to be atheist. It can be said that that it is easier to tolerate new or different ideas if you are not tied down, or rooted down, to a belief system that perpetuates "I am right, you are wrong, this is wrong, this will always be wrong. The reason....I said so, god said so....the holy text said so"

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:10 am
Sernidipity and Sang (To lazy to spell out both your names sweatdrop sorry!!)

Seren: That what I thought too, the NT always preaches tolerance and stuff like that...though stoning gays does come up... sweatdrop So it akways amazes me how weedlike christians are. Siphoning life from other people who they feel doesn't follow their own belifs. I hate I'm surrounded by such intolerance...Oz sounds pretty good about now...(Joking)

Sang: When I first realised I was Atheist, someone told me Atheism is a religion, but a religion to fit who you are and your belifs...as long as you don't believe in a higher power. I thought that was interesting but true, every Atheist I have met believes diffrent things, Atheists are sort of like snowflakes...(Happy thought I guess?)

But I agree like with all things there has to be the people that stand up saying your wrong, what I say is the only truth. Interesting atheists/ agnostics, always complain how religious people do that...when some do it themselves?  

Crooked_Lamb

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:08 am
Lyoko_Alchemist
Sernidipity and Sang (To lazy to spell out both your names sweatdrop sorry!!)

Seren: That what I thought too, the NT always preaches tolerance and stuff like that...though stoning gays does come up... sweatdrop So it akways amazes me how weedlike christians are. Siphoning life from other people who they feel doesn't follow their own belifs. I hate I'm surrounded by such intolerance...Oz sounds pretty good about now...(Joking)

Sang: When I first realised I was Atheist, someone told me Atheism is a religion, but a religion to fit who you are and your belifs...as long as you don't believe in a higher power. I thought that was interesting but true, every Atheist I have met believes diffrent things, Atheists are sort of like snowflakes...(Happy thought I guess?)

But I agree like with all things there has to be the people that stand up saying your wrong, what I say is the only truth. Interesting atheists/ agnostics, always complain how religious people do that...when some do it themselves?

Hmm....Atheism encompasses one thing and one thing only, and that is what separates it from religion which encompasses many things. So, I don't know what the person you speak of was thinking, when he or she called Atheism a religion, which is something it is not.

It only makes sense though, that people, including atheists will all have different things they believe, because after all we are all human, and it is human to be different, and to have different ideas and opinions. Humans always have differences.

I think it would be more accurate to say that all people, not just atheists are like Snowflakes....each snowflake is different, which in a way makes each snowflake the same. People, regardless of what they hold to when it comes to religion and gods are like that.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff