Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
I just got a Betta and sleep with air conditioner. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

rubsnick

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:55 pm
I just got a Betta and I read alot of things about Bettas and I have no real Idea how to take care of it. What's the best tempature for the water etc. On of my main concerns is the fact that I want him in my room and I sleep with air. Now my air only goes to 60F. But I use it only at night. So it would be like 9 hours. Would the changes in water tempature be severe enough to kill him? I mean I would shut it off and the temp of the tank will get back to a normal temp gradually. Would this gradual change affect him?

If it does I guess I"ll have him slep somewhere that doesn't have air conditioner. Would the movement from my room to someplace else affect it at all?

I have a half gallon tank and I have read that I should have the water sit for 24 hours before I move the guy in it. I'm using Distilled Bottle water for him so should I just take the caps off and leave it like that or what? and how often should I change his water? Twice a week? and feeding? Once or Twice a day? I keep getting conflicting answers and waht not... *sigh* I have no idea what to do.

http://www.petco.com/product/106657/Hagen-Dragon-Marina-Betta-Kit.aspx

This is the exact thing I purchased.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:10 pm
well they are best between the temp of 70-85f and they really need at LEAST a gallon,I feed mine 2 times a day (4-7 usually 5 pellets) except if he is looking fat Ill skip a feeding,and every once in a while feed him a frozen pea that you have thawed,it helps if they are constipated (you'll need to tear the cover for him),they have a problem with that,the thing is that when they get cold they tend to not swim that much...and they NEED access to the surface (of the water) to breathe.  

Cowgirl-with-heart

Friendly Nerd

5,650 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100

sakuralum52

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:07 am
In my experience bettas are really tolerant fish. I don't think having the air conditioning on for 9 hours at night will be long enough to make a major temperature change, as long as the tank is not literally right next to the air conditioner. That said, if you're worried, moving the tank to a different spot at night won't bother your fish at all. I have a 1/2 gallon tank for my betta and have to keep her (Mine is a female) on the top shelf of my closet because otherwise my cat will knock the tank over. So in order to feed her I have to take her tank down from the closet and put it back every day, and the movement doesn't bother her at all.

Distilled water is good, but just to be safe I might get something like "Bowl Buddies", which is what I use, I think you can get them at the pet store, you just dissolve them in the water whenever you change the tank and it makes the water safe for bettas. It comes in a blue box. I dont' know the brand offhand. But after they dissolve you want to stir up the water a bit because some of the blue stuff in the bowl buddies doesn't dissove right away, you'll see what I mean if you get them.

I feed my betta once a day, but it depends on the food you give it. I'd just read the instructions on the food you choose and go from there. Idon't change the water often and my fish is over a year old now. Just when the water gets too low I'll change it, maybe once a month or so.

Hope this helps. good luck with your betta!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:26 am
distilled water is not safe it doesnt get rid of all the bad things and does get rid of the good. they say you should use purified drinking water but i still am going to use AquaSafe just to be on the safe side. i spent like 10+ hours studying before i went out and got Gill,my betta. you also need a bigger tank. i have a 1gal and i think it is a little small but for now he is going to have to stay. they also need an orniment/decoration, something for them to explore and lay on/in. my betta loves what i got him and it only cost like $2 at walmart.but i dont think the temp should change that fast or much just dont put him right next to or in front of the air. you should be able to move it if you wish tho.

http://www.fancyfins.ca/Welcome.html

http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=18075

Edit: as to the water change in a tank that small at least 2 times a week.  

Mystic_moon15

Strawberri Top

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:39 am
Mystic_moon15
distilled water is not safe it doesnt get rid of all the bad things and does get rid of the good. they say you should use purified drinking water but i still am going to use AquaSafe just to be on the safe side. i spent like 10+ hours studying before i went out and got Gill,my betta. you also need a bigger tank. i have a 1gal and i think it is a little small but for now he is going to have to stay. they also need an orniment/decoration, something for them to explore and lay on/in. my betta loves what i got him and it only cost like $2 at walmart.but i dont think the temp should change that fast or much just dont put him right next to or in front of the air. you should be able to move it if you wish tho.

Yes.

CLICK THOSE LINKS.

Please.

Anyway, Bettas need at least 1 gallon bowls, 1/2 is not efficient. They also require heaters, so, if you don't have one, I suggest you move the betta to a warmer room. They need water that is 76-80 degrees F. They're tropical. You need to use water conditioner in the water too; distilled won't work without it.

And, just a little question; if you don't know how to take care of your betta, why'd you get one?  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:40 am
dont put them in distilled water. just use regular tap water. the conditioner you have to put in takes care of all the bad stuff.it should be fine in your room. i feed mine once a day. just let the water sit until its room tepreture. they are very tolarent fish.  

Aeriths Child

Aeriths Child

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:42 am
Strawberri Top
Mystic_moon15

Yes.

CLICK THOSE LINKS.

Please.

Anyway, Bettas need at least 1 gallon bowls, 1/2 is not efficient. They also require heaters, so, if you don't have one, I suggest you move the betta to a warmer room. They need water that is 76-80 degrees F. They're tropical. You need to use water conditioner in the water too; distilled won't work without it.

And, just a little question; if you don't know how to take care of your betta, why'd you get one?

you dont need a heater for your beta.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:43 am
Aeriths Child
Strawberri Top
Mystic_moon15

Yes.

CLICK THOSE LINKS.

Please.

you dont need a heater for your beta.

Yeah, you do, unless your room is naturally 76 degrees all of the time? Bettas are tropical fish, they require heaters of some kind, as all Tropicals do. It's spelled Betta, by the way.  

Strawberri Top

rubsnick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:57 am
Strawberri Top
Mystic_moon15

Yes.

CLICK THOSE LINKS.

Please.

I doubt that I'd need a Heater. I live in Puerto Rico. I would probably need a cooler XD It gets above 90 sometimes. And in the winter the lowest it gets is maybe 75. Hence the air conditioner. I've read that the fish would be fine in 65 degree weather. Since it's only at night I'll just keep my AC at that temp. I have it at night and he will be sluggish at night. I'm gonna measuer the temp of the water and see if it affects it.

Anyways I purchased a Betta because it was cute and pretty looking and it would look good in my room. Basically on a whim. But I want to keep it alive I love animals and At least I'm trying to give it a good life. I'm not the type of person that buys it and then simply feeds it and not care for it. I'm actually being considerate when it comes to my fish. I bet you bought your first Betta like I did.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:03 pm
rubsnick
Strawberri Top
Mystic_moon15

Yes.

CLICK THOSE LINKS.

Please.

I doubt that I'd need a Heater. I live in Puerto Rico. I would probably need a cooler XD It gets above 90 sometimes. And in the winter the lowest it gets is maybe 75. Hence the air conditioner. I've read that the fish would be fine in 65 degree weather. Since it's only at night I'll just keep my AC at that temp. I have it at night and he will be sluggish at night. I'm gonna measuer the temp of the water and see if it affects it.

Anyways I purchased a Betta because it was cute and pretty looking and it would look good in my room. Basically on a whim. But I want to keep it alive I love animals and At least I'm trying to give it a good life. I'm not the type of person that buys it and then simply feeds it and not care for it. I'm actually being considerate when it comes to my fish. I bet you bought your first Betta like I did.

I studied Bettas for a week when I decided I wanted one.

I suppose if it's that hot, yeah, that could be rather bad. At least you care for it. But, next time, don't buy a pet on a whim. It's a bad idea. Also, 1/2 gallon isn't big enough for a betta.  

Strawberri Top

rubsnick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:51 pm
Strawberri Top
rubsnick
Strawberri Top
Mystic_moon15

Yes.

CLICK THOSE LINKS.

Please.

I studied Bettas for a week when I decided I wanted one.

I suppose if it's that hot, yeah, that could be rather bad. At least you care for it. But, next time, don't buy a pet on a whim. It's a bad idea. Also, 1/2 gallon isn't big enough for a betta.

Well my betta is rather small and he seems to have a ton of space in there. If he grows I'll get him a bigger one. Haha I do everything on a Whim. Thats just how I am.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:54 pm
Aeriths Child
dont put them in distilled water. just use regular tap water. the conditioner you have to put in takes care of all the bad stuff.it should be fine in your room. i feed mine once a day. just let the water sit until its room tepreture. they are very tolarent fish.

Well The Tap water where I live is horrible. It taste horrible and it's of low quality. It's just slightly above human consumption. So I doubt it's safe for my fish.  

rubsnick

Strawberri Top

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:02 pm
Did you use the bowl conditioner that the tank apparently came with? Then, I don't think you have a problem with the distilled water.

Funny, I researched a fish for a week, and the type of tortoise I want for about two years, but when my family decided to get a dog, it was pretty much on a whim. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:12 pm
Well I'm pretty fond of bettas and I had one for four years straight.
Bettas are pretty strong fish and sometimes don't really notice if there water has changed.
(Trust me I live in Alaska)
Change his water at least once a week and his feeding well once a day.
Thats what I did, but my tank is pretty huge so I change it once a month.
He had five friends but since he died they died one by one from not eating or killing each other. eek  

Volkanon

Killer Budgie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:23 pm
Since distilled water doesn't have dissolved oxygen in it, I would definitely leave it uncovered and maybe even shake it up, just for good measure, to get more oxygen dissolved in it. I feed mine twice a day, as much as they'll eat each time (3-5 pellets). I doubt that the temperature will effect him too much. Heck, I live in Minnesota and mine do fine even when it's well below freezing outside.

I've had countless bettas over the years.... All of which were bought on whims. ^^  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff