Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Pets and Animals Guild!

Back to Guilds

Tags: pets, animals, dogs, cats 

Reply Pets & Animals Main Forum
I just got a Betta and sleep with air conditioner. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Love SCUBA Steve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:30 pm
Betta fish have a specialized organ in their body which allows them to breathe air, like humans. They do not use gills. The kit you bought is just fine. Add the bottled water as well as water conditioner. Do a 20% water change every two days. Add conditioner every time you do this. There are instructions on the bottle you got in the kit, it's two drops I think.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:34 pm
X[phucket]X
Betta fish have a specialized organ in their body which allows them to breathe air, like humans. They do not use gills. The kit you bought is just fine. Add the bottled water as well as water conditioner. Do a 20% water change every two days. Add conditioner every time you do this. There are instructions on the bottle you got in the kit, it's two drops I think.

bettas need at least one gallon of water and your other post said room temperature water is fine. but that depends on the natural temperature. bettas are preferably kept between mid 70s-low 80s. and it is definitely preferable to keep them in as big a tank as you can. i have 4 bettas, 3 males and 1 female, all in their own 3 gallon aquariums and sometimes i feel like they should have more space.  

manderz loves girls

rubsnick

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:24 am
X[phucket]X

They can breathe water AND air. Not just one.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:30 am
Mystic_moon15
YOu can not keep the apple snail with the Betta unless you get a bigger tank(5gal)

* Apple Snails: These colorful snails are an active, attractive addition to a betta tank. They are capable of surviving in lower oxygen environments, and tolerate tropical temperatures - with some reduction in overall lifespan due to the increased speed of development. They also adapt quickly to nipping and are generally too large for most bettas to kill or consume. However, the ideal conditions of both species is compromised to keep both in the same tank; apple snails do prefer oxygenated, filtered water and slightly lower temperatures. What's more, they demand for survival hard, slightly base water - the opposite of the betta's soft, acidic preferences. Finally, you must have a minimum of 5 gallons to keep both a betta and an apple snail, as apple snails are a high waste species demanding 2.5g of water per snail.
http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=14389

also do you have the right kind of plastic plant as in is it sharp plastic or smooth? did you do the pantyhose test on it?

http://www.ultimatebettas.com/index.php?showtopic=18075
please read these two sites all the way through.

Thanks for this... I'm gonna have to get a bigger tank soon. I just don't have the money currently. So what should I do till then? I don't want em to die. *sigh* My GF said she would buy me a tank for my b-day (in about a month) So maybe I could get a bigger one. I also want a comunity tank. So some fish compatible with Bettas and maybe a couple of plants. How big of a tank would be good for this? BTW I have an extremly small room so I don't think I could have a 10 gallon tank.  

rubsnick

Strawberri Top

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:56 pm
rubsnick
Mystic_moon15
YOu can not keep the apple snail with the Betta unless you get a bigger tank(5gal)

* Apple Snails: These colorful snails are an active, attractive addition to a betta tank. They are capable of surviving in lower oxygen environments, and tolerate tropical temperatures - with some reduction in overall lifespan due to the increased speed of development. They also adapt quickly to nipping and are generally too large for most bettas to kill or consume. However, the ideal conditions of both species is compromised to keep both in the same tank; apple snails do prefer oxygenated, filtered water and slightly lower temperatures. What's more, they demand for survival hard, slightly base water - the opposite of the betta's soft, acidic preferences. Finally, you must have a minimum of 5 gallons to keep both a betta and an apple snail, as apple snails are a high waste species demanding 2.5g of water per snail.

also do you have the right kind of plastic plant as in is it sharp plastic or smooth? did you do the pantyhose test on it?

Thanks for this... I'm gonna have to get a bigger tank soon. I just don't have the money currently. So what should I do till then? I don't want em to die. *sigh* My GF said she would buy me a tank for my b-day (in about a month) So maybe I could get a bigger one. I also want a comunity tank. So some fish compatible with Bettas and maybe a couple of plants. How big of a tank would be good for this? BTW I have an extremly small room so I don't think I could have a 10 gallon tank.

If you can't fit a 10 gallon, I don't think you should try and build a Community. Perhaps if you can fit a 10 gallon, you could try and keep a sorority of a few female bettas? They're pretty too.

By the way, I don't know what you should do with the snail. Any possible way you could return it to where you got it? =/  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:43 pm
Strawberri Top
rubsnick
Mystic_moon15

If you can't fit a 10 gallon, I don't think you should try and build a Community. Perhaps if you can fit a 10 gallon, you could try and keep a sorority of a few female bettas? They're pretty too.

By the way, I don't know what you should do with the snail. Any possible way you could return it to where you got it? =/

I can't return him and I don't want to. I like the little Guy. He is very interesting He looks realy healthy with me. Plus when he eats lettuce it's cool. I guss I'll just get a bigger tank and maybe one more fish that can go with my betta. a bottom feeder of sorts. A pleco? Do some more research on em. That should be enough.  

rubsnick

Strawberri Top

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 pm
If you want a Pleco, I think the minimum for them is 40 gallons, and I don't think Bettas are good tank mates for Plecos anyway. Perhaps you could get something like a 10 gallon or 5 gallon, divide it, and keep two bettas? -.-  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:59 pm
bettas are acutally fine in any temp my bettas water is probably 60 F or so hes fine  

Temari_san_of_the_Sand

Temari_san_of_the_Sand

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:04 pm
Strawberri Top
If you want a Pleco, I think the minimum for them is 40 gallons, and I don't think Bettas are good tank mates for Plecos anyway. Perhaps you could get something like a 10 gallon or 5 gallon, divide it, and keep two bettas? -.-

bettas can live w/ any other fresh water fish as long as it cant fit in its mouth bettas cant live w/ other bettas or chilids or w/e its spelled sicklets (they come in all diff colors mines pink)User Image
i go to a school that specializes in fish  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:08 pm
X[phucket]X

they do have gills they basically have one lung they have to breathe air cuz they cant get enough oxygen from the water you can use regualar water just let it sit for a day you dont need the drops my bettas water is crystal clear and i havent changed it since feb.  

Temari_san_of_the_Sand

Strawberri Top

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:44 pm
Temari_san_of_the_Sand
Strawberri Top

bettas can live w/ any other fresh water fish as long as it cant fit in its mouth bettas cant live w/ other bettas or chilids or w/e its spelled sicklets (they come in all diff colors mines pink)User Image
i go to a school that specializes in fish

No, there are a bunch of tail nipping fish, including plecos, which they shouldn't be kept with.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:45 pm
I have a Crowntail betta and I just want to say please ignore those who are trying to tell you that bettas don't need clean water because they can breathe air. While yes, bettas are labyrinth fish they also use their gills as well despite what some people may tell you. Also, they do need water conditioner! Bettas are not impervious to chlorine, chloramines(which doesn't air out like chlorine) and heavy metals. They are just like any other fish so please treat them as such.

Not only that but never use just distilled or R/O water!!! These two types of water lack the trace minerals that bettas need so it's best to use tap water. There is also no buffer in both distilled and R/O water which can cause the pH to greatly fluctuate which can kill fish.

Now as for tank mates, I would only try snails because male bettas are territorial although I have heard of some people keeping male bettas in community tanks before without any problems but if you want a community tank, I recommend 20 gallons or larger. Not only that but you will need to do a lot of research on this first because there are a lot of fish that will n** at a betta's long fins like some Tetras and Danios. My betta is in a 10 gal with two apple snails and one Zebra nerite and he actually likes having them in there. It really all depends on your betta's temperament.

I'm also curious as to if you have a heater or not? Bettas are tropical fish that prefer their water in the 78-82F range. The only time people lower the water temperature is if the betta ended up with Columnaris. Other then that, keeping them in cooler water will make them more prone to parasites. If you have air conditioning, it's best to get a heater so the temperature in the tank remains constant. 3nodding

Housing. My bedroom is rather small but I managed to fit two 10 gallon tanks in there so you should be able to do the same thing but if not, I recommend a 5 gallon. smile One thing I do want to tell you is that many bettas simply do not like water currents of any kind. They prefer stagnant water but there are some bettas that can handle a mild current but you can only find that out when you add the filter in the tank which is why I always recommend keeping bettas in a Natural Planted Tank(NPT) or Walstad Tank. When cycling with a filter, the bacteria converts the ammonia and nitrites to nitrates whereas with NPT's, the plants remove ammonia, nitrites and nitrates and you don't need a filter for these set ups. The only time people keep filters in set ups like this is for mechanical filtration, water movement and heat distribution which is why I use a filter.

Here's a picture of my betta's 10 gal home that is a NPT. If you want to find out more about this type of set up for your betta, feel free to PM me. I'd be more then happy to help you. smile

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

CyberStalker

Mystic_moon15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:50 pm
dont you peple listen READ the link i gave you it tells you right there what is and is not compatible and gives and explination of why they are or are not compatible, and pelcos are not compatible.

here i'll make it easy here is a list of what not to put in with bettas:
Fancy Guppies
Gouramis (all sp.)
Cichlids
Mollies
Platys
Swordtails
Chinese Algae Eaters
Common Pleco
Goldfish and Rosy Reds
Other Bettas!

these are the never put ins

here ill give you simi compatible sad its not suggested to put these in but they can be in some cases to see why read link)

Zebra Danios-nippers
"Feeder"/Wild Type Guppies-quarentine
Neon Tetras-nippers
Rasboras-they are schooling and required a large, long tank due to their activity levels. Both the size of the tank and the activity itself may stress bettas to an undue degree.

and compatible sad some ajustments may need to be made)

Cherry and Ghost Shrimp
Apple Snails
Olive Nerite Snails
African Dwarf Frogs
Otoclinus Catfish
Corydoras Catfish
White Cloud Mountain Minnows  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:53 pm
Mystic_moon15
dont you peple listen READ the link i gave you it tells you right there what is and is not compatible and gives and explination of why they are or are not compatible, and pelcos are not compatible.

Fancy Guppies
Gouramis (all sp.)
Cichlids
Mollies
Platys
Swordtails
Chinese Algae Eaters
Common Pleco
Goldfish and Rosy Reds
Other Bettas!

here ill give you simi compatible sad its not suggested to put these in but they can be in some cases to see why read link)

Zebra Danios-nippers
Neon Tetras-nippers
Rasboras-they are schooling and required a large, long tank due to their activity levels. Both the size of the tank and the activity itself may stress bettas to an undue degree.

Cherry and Ghost Shrimp
Apple Snails
Olive Nerite Snails
African Dwarf Frogs
Otoclinus Catfish
Corydoras Catfish

Kudos to you for posting this! When it comes to community tanks, a lot of people just assume that you can keep any type of fish in there but that is far from true.  

CyberStalker

Mystic_moon15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:05 pm
CyberStalker
Mystic_moon15

Fancy Guppies
Gouramis (all sp.)
Cichlids
Mollies
Platys
Swordtails
Chinese Algae Eaters
Common Pleco
Goldfish and Rosy Reds
Other Bettas!

Zebra Danios-nippers
Neon Tetras-nippers

Cherry and Ghost Shrimp
Apple Snails
Olive Nerite Snails
African Dwarf Frogs
Otoclinus Catfish
Corydoras Catfish

Kudos to you for posting this! When it comes to community tanks, a lot of people just assume that you can keep any type of fish in there but that is far from true.

ty for the kudos and ive noticed this. ive never really had anything like that i had 3 oscars when i was like 13 but 2 of'm died and my step dad let the other one go somewhere.  
Pets & Animals Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff