A place for anyone who enjoys a good book 

Tags: reading, writing, books, roleplay, discussion 

Reply Readers' and Writers' Guild
Dog-Earring Pages...What's Your Opinion? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dog-earring...Good, Bad...Or UGLY? (Or You?)
It's a very good thing!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
It's a very bad thing!
16%
 16%  [ 13 ]
IT MUST DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRAAAAHHHH
32%
 32%  [ 25 ]
I dog ear books!! Yay!
10%
 10%  [ 8 ]
I dog ear books-sorry :[ :[ :[
19%
 19%  [ 15 ]
(the infamous:) I like pie
21%
 21%  [ 17 ]
Total Votes : 78

teenroses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:17 pm
Oh, we've all seen it sometime, when reading a library book or such!

What do you think?

Is it good? Bad? Should we shun all people who dog-ear books?

I must admit: I am a dog-ear...er...person. It's a habit I've had since 2nd grade. *sigh* I apologize in advance for anyone who finds ANY dog-eared book, and gets annoyed.

It's just...bookmarks always fall out, and dog-earing is just so...easy...that I can't resist!! It's AdDicTiNg!!!

So, anyways, what's your opinion on it?? Any other fellow dog-ear people out there? :]  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:38 am
I have to say that I would be slightly annoyed if someone dog-eared one of my books or I bought a book that had been dog-eared. I personally don't do it, and it's probably because all of my teachers since 2nd grade have drilled it into everyone's head to NOT DOG-EAR THEIR BOOKS!

Plus, I'm one of those weird people who's books have to be in close-to-perfect condition.

But, if I see someone dog-earing some random book, I honestly don't care. I'm NOT going to run up to them screaming, "Nooooo!!! You're ruining that precious book!"

Anyways, I think you can continue what you're doing as long as you don't do it to my books! xD  

Collote
Crew

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:45 pm
Personally, I dog-ear books out of habit. I don't really mind it when others do it either. Although, I do hate when they fold half of the page over, instead of just folding the corner... I usually try not to do it with library books, though, and I never do it with my friends' personal books. Then I attempt to use bookmarks...  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:02 pm
penandpaper67
Personally, I dog-ear books out of habit. I don't really mind it when others do it either. Although, I do hate when they fold half of the page over, instead of just folding the corner... I usually try not to do it with library books, though, and I never do it with my friends' personal books. Then I attempt to use bookmarks...

Oh yeah, folding half the page is annoying too :]

Collote
I have to say that I would be slightly annoyed if someone dog-eared one of my books or I bought a book that had been dog-eared. I personally don't do it, and it's probably because all of my teachers since 2nd grade have drilled it into everyone's head to NOT DOG-EAR THEIR BOOKS!

Plus, I'm one of those weird people who's books have to be in close-to-perfect condition.

But, if I see someone dog-earing some random book, I honestly don't care. I'm NOT going to run up to them screaming, "Nooooo!!! You're ruining that precious book!"

Anyways, I think you can continue what you're doing as long as you don't do it to my books! xD

:] cool. Thanks, I guess, for making me feel less negative about it. :] 3nodding  

teenroses

serephemeral
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:33 pm
I personally don't dog-ear my books. I can never keep track of bookmarks either, so I just use the card that comes in the back of library books. If it isn't, then I use whatever's lying around.

I don't hate people who dog-ear their books, it just kind of bothers me. I've read some old books where people have dog-eared them and the corners fell off. That does bother me. A lot. But as long as I can still read the text, I won't go biting off any limbs. I promise. ^.^  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:42 pm
I can't stand dog-earing my own books. I feel like I'm killing them. my brother always makes fun of me because my books all look like I've never even touched them.[he's weird] I hate it when I let my friend borrow a book and she has dog-eared it.

I don't really care about if people have done it to library books though. Sometimes I even dog-ear library books.  

Hime_ookami

Islua

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:18 am
I'll do this with my personal books sometimes, but not with library, because other people may find it annoying for a book to be dog-eared.
I only do the corner, not the whole page, and some books are so old they get dogeared from me just reading them.
I have this odd talent for remembering where I was at in a book, no matter what time I'm on reading it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:39 pm
I hate dog-earing books. I have done it a few times, but I am a freak and attempt to keep all my books in perfect condition, without them having any folds or anything wrong with them. sweatdrop

A lot of my paperback copies of my books (like Twilight) have been severly destroyed and are in need of repairing, so that's when I decided I should never ever damage my books. I usually memorize the page number.  

seleneswan

Out of Kansas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:07 am
I don't like it especially when it's half the page. But I can understand if there's nothing that can be used for a bookmark around. I try to make them just large enough to find my place again, but I find bookmarks for the most part. Gum wrappers are one of my favorites! xD  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:41 pm
I really hate to do it, and I hate to see other people do it, especially when it's so easy to just make a makeshift bookmark with scrap paper, business cards, straw wrappers, etc...
They don't have to be in ultra-perfect condition (I knew someone who made everyone wash their hands and not bend the spine when reading her mangas), but books do need to be treated with respect and care. But compared to other things I've seen, dog-earing is a small offense.  

Hlessirah

Dapper Vegetarian

cyanide_angel29814

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:19 am
I used to dog ear my books. When the corners started falling off, I stopped that practice rather abruptly. Then I went through a "nifty bookmarks" phase. A little metal and enamel shepherd's hook shaped thing, with a giant butterfly on it. (Ick.) Since I got to the school I'm at now and developed the "books are sacred, don't mess" attitude, it's impossible to tell I've ever touched my books. For a bookmark, I just use the cards in the back of library books, receipts, ticket stubs. Whatever is handy, paper, and flat.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:28 pm
I used to do it, but then I started getting annoyed that it was creasing my pages and I stopped.  

Amethyst Heaven

WolfTeeth-x

Dapper Werewolf

8,100 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Friendly 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:23 pm
I HATE dog earring books. But, for summer reading books I really don't want to read but do anyway, I dog ear them because I'm never going to read the book again.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:47 pm
ok i am guilty, but only to my own books, other ppl can deface theirs if they want but if it's not mine i just find it more respectful to refrain from dogearing. even with my own i'll only dogear paperbacks, and only the older ones at that, hardcover books just can't be dogeared as far as i'm concerned...  

AmenthystMoon

themadwriter

7,250 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:57 pm
I don't do it myself because I like keeping my books in good condition, but when I find it in a book it makes me smile because someone has loved it up a bit.  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff