Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

How do you choose a new book?
  Flashy Cover?
  Catchy Title?
  Gotta love that back cover blurb
  Recommended by friends/family/book club?
  Know the author/series
  Close eyes and randomly pull one from the shelves
View Results

GeekyTanta

Angelic Loiterer

11,090 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:13 am
I'm asking this question because I've just finished a book I borrowed from the library, the only reason I borrowed this book was because of the title - which must be the strangest, if not longest one I've ever seen.

It is an autobiography by Australian author Paul Carter and it's called *drum roll please*
'Don't Tell Mum I Work on the Rigs She Thinks I'm a Piano Player in a Whorehouse'.

How could you not read that?!

So is there a certain way you choose your books? Does a fancy title or flashy cover catch your eye? Or do you stick to the tried and true measure of reading books recommended by a friend or reading known and loved authors/series?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:07 am
I think for me, it is a combination of all those things. If someone recommends it to me, then the title will automatically stand out at me while browsing. And if the title is catchy, then it makes me interested to see what the book is about. If the cover is pleasing to the eye, it makes it even better. Finally, if the back cover blurb makes the plot sound unique and interesting enough, I'll pick it up. The only thing that is unneccesary for me is the recommendation, but it really helps, so that I know that it actually is a good book. Although, if I get a recommendation, I might pick up the book even if it doesn't fit my other qualifications...  

penandpaper67
Captain

XGamerRichy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:03 am
I usually look for any catchy titles, then the front covers, then the blurbs and then the front page.

That's the order I usually go in, but, if I know what book I want then I go straight for it.

If I get a recommendation though, I usually see whether it will do good for me.

mrgreen  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:18 pm
Well I tend to look at the tittle and the front cover before moving forward. I think that it may simply be because the front is ussualy the first thing you see anyway, plus the front cover can give you a good understanding of a book. The way i look at the cover is if the picture has lots of bright colors and the picture seems nice and relaxing then i asume the book itself would be a nice relaxing book to read, but if the front cover has dark colors and it gives off this intense feeling than i would asume it would be an intense book that would be hard to put down.

But the way i choose if i want to read the nice relaxing book or the intense one, would be up to what mood i am in.  

Sh3LbZ

shadow_contractor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:33 pm
I usually look at the cover first. If it has a good looking cover and a cool title, I usually read the summary of it to get an idea of the plot. Although recently, all the books I have been reading were recommendations by friends.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:44 am
I'll just go searching around the library/bookstore until i find something that looks interesting. most of the time I just look at the picture on the cover and the title. Sometimes I'll just search for a certain subject in the computer catalogue if i'm at the library.  

Hime_ookami

Hlessirah

Dapper Vegetarian

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:47 pm
I got hooked on David Sedaris books after hearing his work on NPR radio programs.

But otherwise, I just find a genre I like at the library, usually the essayists, and look around for one that looks interesting. The essayists are always entertaining, and the nonfiction books are usually fun.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:03 am
Usually a friend will just hand me a book and tell me to read it (they seem to know what I like in books the best rolleyes ). However, in the event that I am without a book and am not writing currently (which is becoming more rare by the times) I look through libraries and read what ever seems like it would be of some interest and if by the third chapter I do not find it in my particular interest, I set it back and look for another one. cool  

lakita_phoenix

Dragonfanatic24

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:51 pm
if the story plot doesn't interest me
I don't read it.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 4:17 pm
I usually look for catchy titles that makes me think why the author give that title to the book. then, xd xp try to read the summary of it at the back.. biggrin  

miszlhaine30

Amethyst Heaven

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:51 pm
If the summary is interesting I'll probably read it, but the reason I pick it up to read the summary is usually the title or because somebody recommended it.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:27 pm
Usually, I search for authors I've read before and have enjoyed. Then, I just randomly go to shelves and see what titles appeal to me. If the summary is interesting, then I might open the book and read a page just to see.  

Lostt Eviie

3,250 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
  • Autobiographer 200

Malakoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:31 am
It goes:
Recommendation
Evocative Title
"Classic"
Author I know/like

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:15 pm
It's hard to say... usually I take what I think looks good, or has been recommended to me.. or if I like the sound of the title. It's a variety of different things, and sometimes I do randomly pick off the shelves, because how else would my taste expand?  

dstnyisurs

Volatile Rainbow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:00 pm
Shelfari has helped me add to my TBR list immensely. heart  
Readers' and Writers' Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items