Submit

SylFariun

Distinct Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:58 pm
Ok before I ask please no messages saying nub, noob or whatever i just got back into pokemon and I left around the time silver and gold were out. So yes catching up I am.

but anyways,

1) Ive heard that they can have good and bad natures for them, is this for each pokemon? Or is it for all of them?

2) Is this PKRS thing really that important or good? My friend said it was and my team has it but now they have lil frowny faces.

and 3) I havent beaten the Elite 4 but I have seen the 150 I needed to see to upgrade my pokedex, but why cant that lil girl tell me about swarming pokemon?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:00 pm
Yes, there are different natures that affect your pokemons stats. Use google for detailed lists. The pokerus can be useful, but is not needed at all. And you need to beat the elite 4 + champ to get the swarm info.  

Al Torrenz

SylFariun

Distinct Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:02 pm
ChaosTorrent
Yes, there are different natures that affect your pokemons stats. Use google for detailed lists. The pokerus can be useful, but is not needed at all. And you need to beat the elite 4 + champ to get the swarm info.

Argh... Well it looks like Im off to get my team better.... yay...
Thanks though! 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:08 pm
Kenshin Kura
Ok before I ask please no messages saying nub, noob or whatever i just got back into pokemon and I left around the time silver and gold were out. So yes catching up I am.

but anyways,

1) Ive heard that they can have good and bad natures for them, is this for each pokemon? Or is it for all of them?

2) Is this PKRS thing really that important or good? My friend said it was and my team has it but now they have lil frowny faces.

and 3) I havent beaten the Elite 4 but I have seen the 150 I needed to see to upgrade my pokedex, but why cant that lil girl tell me about swarming pokemon?

1)Yes, both good and bad. You have to look up the correct nature that's right for your Pokémon. You dun wanna end up like me with a Wailord that has a bad Sp. Atk nature. sad

2)The PKRS is a good virus that doubles the effort value points you receive after each level up. The virus is extremely rare, but very powerful, you can receive it by battling lots of wild Pokémon. And the little 'frowny' faces mean that your Pokémon has been cured of the virus and has become immune to it.

3)You have to beat the Elite 4 for the swarming Pokémon feature to activate.  

PhysicWater

Diglidi-Dude

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:09 pm
nub, noob or whatever
Nah only joking. But you know, I had the same thing happening for me; I have been playing Gold for a very long time, didn't buy R/S/E or FR/LG(although i played RSE on an emulator but never finished the game), and bought Diamond, and ******** love it.

1) Bad and good natures are a little too precise; Pokémons have loads of other natures than good and bad. But personally, I have no idea what it changes from them. :/

2) PKRS? Frowning faces? lolwut?

3) You need to finish the Elite 4 before, duh.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:31 pm
PhysicWater
Kenshin Kura

but anyways,

1)Yes, both good and bad. You have to look up the correct nature that's right for your Pokémon. You dun wanna end up like me with a Wailord that has a bad Sp. Atk nature. sad

2)The PKRS is a good virus that doubles the effort value points you receive after each level up. The virus is extremely rare, but very powerful, you can receive it by battling lots of wild Pokémon. And the little 'frowny' faces mean that your Pokémon has been cured of the virus and has become immune to it.

3)You have to beat the Elite 4 for the swarming Pokémon feature to activate.

@PhycisWater--But theres another thing confusing me, they have those faces but when they level their still gaining like 3 or 4 points for each lil thing

@Diglidi-Dude-- I have no clue with the nature thing either. I found a chart but no matter what Im right in the middle of all of them, good and bad natures. Plus wooh Im not alone! I didnt even touch pokemon from silver to diamond.  

SylFariun

Distinct Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0

LadySofia

Sexy Fighter

10,075 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Bunny Spotter 50
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:38 pm
Everyone says Adamant natures are the best of all of them, which is basically true.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:51 pm
HAHAHA! Something I'm knowledgeable on!

1) Natures each have their own effects, but any pokemon can have any nature. More to follow.

2) The little face that pokemon get after having the Pokerus indicates they have the virus, and are no longer contageous. Again, more to follow.

3) You need the National Dex for that, and I'm fairly certain you need to beat the Elite 4 before you can acquire that.

Any way, to elaborate on 1 and 2...

Natures affect a pokemon's base stats; they can raise one stat and lower one by 10%, or they can not affect their stats at all. The neutral natures are Serious, Hardy, and Docile.

The Pokerus affects stats known as "EVs", or "Effort Values". This is a hidden value you need to keep track of yourself. The properties of effort values are as follows:
-Any given pokemon can have 510 total EV points.
-Any given stats can have a total of 255 EV points.
-For every 4 EVs a stat has, it will gain an additional point.
Thusly, to avoid having wasted EVs, there should never be more than 252 EVs in any given stat. For that matter, any amount of EVs should be a multiple of 4.
-Only 10 Vitamins can be used per stat; each vitamin gives 10 EVs.
-EVs gained from battling stack onto Vitamin EVs; Vitamins do not stack.
ie: If you had a pokemon that had gained 50 EVs from battling, it would only be able to consume 5 more vitamins. Basically, once a stat has 100 EVs, it can no longer take vitamins for that stat.
-Certain items can accelerate EVs gain. It's pretty straightforward how they add up.
*Macho Brace- x2
*PKRS- x2
*Power items- +4
*Vitamins- +10 (static- unaffected by hold items and PKRS)

So, a pokemon with the PKRS and a Macho Brace that defeats a Haunter (yields 2 Sp. Atk EVs) would equate to this:
(2 Sp. Atk)*2*2 = 8 Sp. Atk EVs

If that same pokemon instead had a Power Lens, it would equate like this:
((2 Sp. Atk)+4)*2 = 12 Sp. Atk EVs

Conversely, if it killed a Bidoof (yields one HP EV):
((1 HP)+(4 Sp. Atk))*2 = 2 HP and 8 Sp. Atk

There are guides around the net to show which pokemon yield which EVs. Personally, I use:
Bidoof- 1 HP
Starly- 1 Speed
Gastly/Haunter/Gengar- Sp Atk (1, 2, and 3 points, respectively. Budew as well, if you want a weaker level, but not as common. 1 point each)
Shinx- 1 Attack
Kricketot- 1 Defense (I think)
Tentacool- 1 Sp. Defense

The power items tell you what they give in their description.

IVs, or "Individual Values", work a little differently, but are also very important; the pokemon's descriptive phrase can give a hint as to what its best IV may be.

IVs are static; they cannot be altered. Once the pokemon is obtained, be it a recived egg, caught in the wild, or picked up from a deliveryman, its IVs are assigned. They can be from 0 to 31. Each IV is basically a bonus stat point. Unlike EVs being a ratio of 4:1 per stat point, IVs are simply 1:1.

Use sites like http://www.serebii.net/ as encyclopedias for base stat info, IV calculators, and the like. Let me know if anything else needs explaining, I kind of dumped a lot. gonk

Edit: Almost forgot. Properties of the PKRS:
-Doubles all EV gain for the affected pokemon.
-Very rare to find yourself; usually it's easiest to have a friend infect one of your pokemon.
-Pokemon become infected by riding in a party with someone who is contagious.
-The PKRS is permanent and always active once the pokemon has it, but when the pokemon is in the party past midnight (whether the game is on, off, or in sleep), it is no longer contagious. To remedy this, simply place the contagious pokemon in a box. When a pokemon is no longer contagious, the purple PKRS status goes away, and a yellow smiley takes its place.  

8Bit Jack

8Bit Jack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:53 pm
T-natheAngel
Everyone says Adamant natures are the best of all of them, which is basically true.
Adamant gives +10% Attack, -10% Sp. Attack, so it's not always the best. There is no "best" nature, especially to generalize among all pokemon. Often in that instance, you'll actually want a Jolly nature; +10% Speed, -10% Sp. Attack.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:56 pm
Don't double post Jack...
And thanks that helped me too sweatdrop  

Paper Sonic

Hilarious Lunatic

SylFariun

Distinct Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:57 pm
8Bit Jack
HAHAHA! Something I'm knowledgeable on!

1) Natures each have their own effects, but any pokemon can have any nature. More to follow.

2) The little face that pokemon get after having the Pokerus indicates they have the virus, and are no longer contageous. Again, more to follow.

3) You need the National Dex for that, and I'm fairly certain you need to beat the Elite 4 before you can acquire that.

Any way, to elaborate on 1 and 2...

Natures affect a pokemon's base stats; they can raise one stat and lower one by 10%, or they can not affect their stats at all. The neutral natures are Serious, Hardy, and Docile.

The Pokerus affects stats known as "EVs", or "Effort Values". This is a hidden value you need to keep track of yourself. The properties of effort values are as follows:
-Any given pokemon can have 510 total EV points.
-Any given stats can have a total of 255 EV points.
-For every 4 EVs a stat has, it will gain an additional point.
Thusly, to avoid having wasted EVs, there should never be more than 252 EVs in any given stat. For that matter, any amount of EVs should be a multiple of 4.
-Only 10 Vitamins can be used per stat; each vitamin gives 10 EVs.
-EVs gained from battling stack onto Vitamin EVs; Vitamins do not stack.
ie: If you had a pokemon that had gained 50 EVs from battling, it would only be able to consume 5 more vitamins. Basically, once a stat has 100 EVs, it can no longer take vitamins for that stat.
-Certain items can accelerate EVs gain. It's pretty straightforward how they add up.
*Macho Brace- x2
*PKRS- x2
*Power items- +4
*Vitamins- +10 (static- unaffected by hold items and PKRS)

So, a pokemon with the PKRS and a Macho Brace that defeats a Haunter (yields 2 Sp. Atk EVs) would equate to this:
(2 Sp. Atk)*2*2 = 8 Sp. Atk EVs

If that same pokemon instead had a Power Lens, it would equate like this:
((2 Sp. Atk)+4)*2 = 12 Sp. Atk EVs

Conversely, if it killed a Bidoof (yields one HP EV):
((1 HP)+(4 Sp. Atk))*2 = 2 HP and 8 Sp. Atk

There are guides around the net to show which pokemon yield which EVs. Personally, I use:
Bidoof- 1 HP
Starly- 1 Speed
Gastly/Haunter/Gengar- Sp Atk (1, 2, and 3 points, respectively. Budew as well, if you want a weaker level, but not as common. 1 point each)
Shinx- 1 Attack
Kricketot- 1 Defense (I think)
Tentacool- 1 Sp. Defense

The power items tell you what they give in their description.

IVs, or "Individual Values", work a little differently, but are also very important; the pokemon's descriptive phrase can give a hint as to what its best IV may be.

IVs are static; they cannot be altered. Once the pokemon is obtained, be it a recived egg, caught in the wild, or picked up from a deliveryman, its IVs are assigned. They can be from 0 to 31. Each IV is basically a bonus stat point. Unlike EVs being a ratio of 4:1 per stat point, IVs are simply 1:1.

Use sites like http://www.serebii.net/ as encyclopedias for base stat info, IV calculators, and the like. Let me know if anything else needs explaining, I kind of dumped a lot. gonk

So much math!! crying Math is not my forte!!  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:58 pm
I_love_Inuyasha1
Don't double post Jack...
And thanks that helped me too sweatdrop
I didn't want to stick a reply along with by wall of text... It might've been disregarded. sweatdrop  

8Bit Jack

SylFariun

Distinct Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:01 pm
Ok I can figure things out better if I try it myself but anyway you could help me find out how this works?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:02 pm
Kenshin Kura
Ok I can figure things out better if I try it myself but anyway you could help me find out how this works?
...What do you mean by "how this works"?  

8Bit Jack

SylFariun

Distinct Phantom

8,500 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:05 pm
Ok umm.... those ev points are the things where you level a pokemon up and itll say like Sp.atk +2 right?  
'Tendo Cult~

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff