Antlers

5,700 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Team Edward 100
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:31 pm
I found this really fascinating (yet sad) article online about the SF ballet:

Quote:

In retrospect, the skirt was just too damn long. "I was a little concerned. But they said, 'Can you please try it at this length?' And I said okay — like every dancer does. You try to be very accommodating," says Julianne Kepley with a ready laugh. At 5 1/2 feet tall with wavy blond hair and a compact, athletic build, Kepley looks less like a soloist dancer with the San Francisco Ballet — which she is — than the point guard for a small college basketball team. Her chuckle faded somewhat as her blue eyes settled momentarily on the crutches stacked in the corner. She shook her head and offered a wan smile. "Oh, I should have been a diva."

Instead, she obediently waited in the wings as the orchestra started into Bach's Goldberg Variations for an April rehearsal of "A Rose by Any Other Name." On cue, Kepley soared into the limelight, gliding across the floor in a series of choreographed prances and leaps, projecting the image of effortlessness that can only be borne out via painstaking amounts of effort.But painstaking soon gave way to pain.

The elegant spell Kepley cast over War Memorial Opera House dissolved when, instead of the springy stage floor, she felt the bunched cloth of her skirt beneath the toe of her right pointe shoe. As Kepley careened forward, time seemed to slow to a crawl. She glanced downwards and watched her knee buckle to the right and then the left — the two directions a knee isn't supposed to bend. The ensuing pain was accompanied by a grinding noise, not unlike the rasping sound of driving with the parking brake still engaged. And then the floor leapt to meet Kepley's cheek as she collapsed into a pile; her right knee, now lacking the support of its anterior cruciate ligament, began to writhe. With a violent spasm it jerked into a 45-degree angle and would not straighten.

Pain is not the ballet dancer's friend, but it is his or her constant companion. The majority of a dancer's day is a high-energy quest to twist oneself into a series of poses and steps seemingly designed to belie the mechanics of the human body. Days without pain are so infrequent that several dancers told SF Weekly they actually find them unnerving. To succumb to pain is not merely undesirable, it's shameful.

So when Kepley opened her eyes, peeked through her fingers, and saw the ballet's artistic director Helgi Tomasson's brown shoes a few inches from her face, she apologized. "I started babbling," she recalls, her slight Southern lilt betraying her Atlanta roots. "I must have said 'I'm sorry' about a thousand times."

Kenny Ryan, the ballet's burly prop master, made his way through the crowd. He scooped Kepley up into his arms and carried her to the office of Michael Leslie, the ballet's full-time physical therapist. Julianne Kepley, 33 years of age and 14 seasons a professional ballet dancer, couldn't help but think about where it had all led: "Basically, I was just a very large prop."

While ballet strives to project an image of ethereal beauty, it is, in fact, a taxing and even brutal endeavor. Toe-dancing for eight or more hours a day wrecks women's feet and hips while men frequently lay waste to their knees while leaping or ruin backs from lifting partners. Dancers who wait in the wings long enough are guaranteed to see something they wished they hadn't:

"I've seen someone fall, twist her ankle and roll off the stage like a tumbleweed."

"I knew one dancer who fractured his tibia on stage and it sounded like a rifle shot."

"I had one friend who for three years took two aspirin right before he went on stage. In the end he had an ulcer burst in a performance. He was losing blood while performing a very difficult 25-minute pas de deux."

After an injured dancer is cleared off the stage, the rest of the company feels a bit like the gazelles in the nature documentary that don't get run down by the lion. Kepley is quick to admit that on many such occasions she muttered "Thank God that's not me" under her breath. And for many, prayer is apropos. A number of San Francisco Ballet dancers are pushing through injuries that may, at any given moment, blossom into something truly horrible. This is an ever-present fear, but it's not nearly so visceral as the dread of taking time to heal and losing a part — and perhaps, eventually, your job. As much as the San Francisco Ballet prides itself on the extensive health resources it provides for its employees, every one of them knows that no dancer has ever earned a promotion by taking time off. "The people who get the farthest in this company are the ones who've hidden more injuries and pushed themselves more than anyone else," concurs a dancer.

If you take time off, dancers say, the parts stop coming. And if you stop getting parts — well, then you're on your way to dancing out the door.
User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:51 pm
Let the dream begin, let your darker side give in to the harmony which dreams alone can write...

Horrible.. Just horrible. A ballet dancer does not need to practice every single day like there is no tomorrow. A great dancer rests when he/she knows he/she has to, but continuing to dance with injuries could result in being handicapped for the rest of his/her life!

Humanity needs to put before art sometimes. Slow and steady wins the race.

...and listen to the Music of the Night...

Opera Phantomess

Apocalyptic Streaker

17,850 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Cheercrusher 50
  • Streaker 200

Le Fantomes Ingenue

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:59 pm
O mon dieu...  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:51 pm
Oh, I read that a while ago! I'm not gonna lie, it really scared me.  

plastic juicebox

FIRE_OnThe_DanceFloor

5,350 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:29 pm
OMFG! thats scary!  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:19 am
Whoa. That was...uhm...scary. I suppose.
That thought of trying to endure so much pain because of straining yourself too much never even crossed my mind before.
Well, as dancers, health and safety should be our first priority at times.
3nodding  

xX Graceful Movements Xx

Sparkly Fatcat

7,200 Points
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Lil blue22 rolled 8 10-sided dice: 10, 3, 9, 8, 7, 7, 9, 9 Total: 62 (8-80)

Lil blue22

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:35 pm
i wish it was all that easy as you guys say but when you have rehersals all week and school and everything else you just have no time to really rest. then when you do you feel bad because you know you should be learning another role or your body hurts so much that when you dance it goes numb but when you sit you can always feel it. trust me. i may be young and haven't done alot of roles but i know how that feeling is. you are at the ballet studio on the weekends from about 11am or earlier to 11 at night some times. thank god me feet haven't bled from my point shoes, i guess i am lucky that way but i have gotten blisters that when i dance on point it hurts but i still have to dance other wise i might not get the part. so to say you should get a break and take care of yourself is like telling a child not to use their imagination. if anyone has seen the Red Shoes it is almost like that. i mean i wouldn't do what the lady in the movie did but metaphoriclly speaking it is like that.  
Main Forum

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games