Musicians of Praise Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

xShokubeni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:53 pm
The subject of the topic is this:
Who is your overall favorite musician, and why?

The question is simple, but I'd like to read every little detail as to WHY you think this particular musician is amazing.
None of that, "Just because! They rock! m/" crap please. "Just because" is not a valid argument.

EDIT:
I'm not being specific on the type of musician. It doesn't necessarily have to pertain to classical music. It can be any musician in any genre that you admire greatly. As long as you have reasons [think of it as an essay: thesis statement&three reasons, except it's not an essay. ;3]  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:57 pm
I guess Micheal Romeo from Symphony X. But really I'm not sure if that's what you meant. It's because he's a great composer, I love the music he puts out and I feel, that it does indeed, rock.  

Septomor

xShokubeni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:59 pm
I have a favorite band, and they're called Versailles. I find their style of music unique in that their sound is very... epic. At first listen, you only think of them as a metal band. But given time, you begin to hear that their style demonstrates that they're not just people who decided to pick up guitar and drums without learning to read a note in their life - you see that they're professional.

Their song The Love From A Dead Orchestra is very powerful, and I'm sure [if you're into metal] you'd enjoy this song. If you're able to appreciate the different parts of music, then this makes this song that much better. In the middle of the song [at 5:06], they mellow out a bit and feature the piano more. It even launches into a very edgy romantic piano solo.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:01 pm
[WaffleStomper.]

The question is simple, but I'd like to read every little detail as to WHY you think this particular musician is amazing.
None of that, "Just because! They rock! m/" crap please. "Just because" is not a valid argument.

I dont know if this sounds corny or not. It's nobpdy famous or anything. I admire my oboe teacher. She is soo good, and shes an awesome teacher. She plays first oboe in my orchestra. She can pull off any solo thrown at her with the most beautiful sound.

I hope I can play just like her one day. She gives me advice for not just oboe but for life. Shes strict when she needs to be and caring and understanding when she needs to be. I think every oboist should have her as a teacher.

yeah..  

`Kel`
Captain

xShokubeni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:06 pm
`Kel`
[WaffleStomper.]

I dont know if this sounds corny or not. It's nobpdy famous or anything. I admire my oboe teacher. She is soo good, and shes an awesome teacher. She plays first oboe in my orchestra. She can pull off any solo thrown at her with the most beautiful sound.

I hope I can play just like her one day. She gives me advice for not just oboe but for life. Shes strict when she needs to be and caring and understanding when she needs to be. I think every oboist should have her as a teacher.

yeah

And I admire you for admiring your oboe teacher. ^_^ This is exactly what I'm asking for.

I admire my band director, Jonathan Kea. He was the oboe player for his private school [Kamehameha Schools] and was excellent at it, was the captain in his air riflery team, and graduated second in his class.
When he hit a certain age teaching at my school, he had a series of heart attacks and strokes, which paralyzed the left part of his body for a period of time. He went through therapy, can ONLY march now, can barely move his thumbs, and has a bad speech impediment, but still does what he loves with all his passion and skill. He still plays oboe, and is teaching me how to make my own oboe reeds [since I'm a newbie! x3]

Thats awesome.

My teacher (Donna Campbell) is teaching me reeds too.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:06 pm
`Kel`
[WaffleStomper.]

yeah..

DORK! Jk

That's actually quite cool I think, if you get to be with the person you admire. I would die to be in the same room as Micheal Romeo, but alas, we don't always get our wish. crying

Also I've heard Veresallis' work, the one you mentioned specifically. I don't really remember it though.  

Septomor

xShokubeni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:10 pm
Septomor

Also I've heard Veresallis' work, the one you mentioned specifically. I don't really remember it though.

You have, have you? They're quite wonderful for a fairly new band. I admire all of them. They're great musicians from older Visual Kei bands put together. More specifically, I adore Hizaki for his wonderful guitar skills. If I remember correctly, Hizaki is also the one playing the piano solo.

Fun fact: Versailles is pronounced "Vur-sigh." wink  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:12 pm
[WaffleStomper.]
Septomor

Fun fact: Versailles is pronounced "Vur-sigh." wink

Like Achellies in the Ender Shadow series?

Anyways, also try Rhapsody of Fire. I love Gargoyles; Angles of Darkness. It's awesome  

Septomor

Keakealani

Intellectual Elocutionist

12,850 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Timid 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:17 am
Man is condemned to be free. ~Jean-Paul Sartre
`Kel`

yeah..
You know, when you said that, I immediately thought of my choir director. She's an absolutely amazing teacher, mentor, and musician. I've sung under a LOT of conductors (we regularly act as guinea pigs for various clinicians and interns) and it's just amazing what she can do with a choir that others can't even compare to. A huge part of running a rehearsal is that development of mutual trust, and my director has an amazing sense of understanding with the choir that it's impossible not to trust her judgement. One of the most common (and in my opinion, one of the most fatal) mistakes a director can make is to misjudge what a choir does and doesn't know. It sucks when you circle a mistake and know you would get in right the next time, but yet have the director stop and fix it, as if they don't trust you to fix it yourself. At the same time, it sucks to have a problem and have a director that will skip it and not give the section a chance to work on a difficult passage. In many choirs, the only way to fix a passage is to ask about it - but with my director...she just knows. We know she knows, and in general we know she'll fix it if she thinks it needs fixing.

Okay, that was a huge rambling thing, so...sorry. But I guess I'd have to say that's exactly why I admire my director...I could go on and on about all the wonderful things she's done for me and for the choir. Suffice to say, she's much more than a teacher to me.

A fashion is nothing but an induced epidemic. ~George Bernard Shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:49 am
I admire Janet Peterson. She is a great professional musician who has played on different radio stations and many places. She is very precise in her technique and knows how to teach and have fun at the same time. I recently had her as my conductor for UWGB Senior High Music Camp and she is AWESOME! My friend MusicalMaster92 and I fortunately had asked to play Vivaldi's Concerto in A Minor, Mvt. 1 with her and she agreed. I got to play the first mvt. with her and my friend played the second mvt. It was so much fun. I didn't really notice it but others in the orchestra that were watching commented on how Mrs. Peterson and I were swaying the same way when playing, that's cool. We all felt the music and had fun playing it.  

Orchestrakid1449

bass lad

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:00 pm
I would really love to sing like Frank Sinatra he has a very smooth voice and hes a good actor.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:16 pm
This dude. Or girl. XD

Um, seriously? I don't know if I can pick. Okay, uh... Simon Rattle. XD Cause, you know, the hair. The crazy conductor's hair. <3

Maybe I'll think of something else when I'm not exhausted. >___>  

Cobalt

I Cosmo I

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:00 am
Ling Lang is a very good pianist  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:12 am
Cobalt
This dude. Or girl. XD

Um, seriously? I don't know if I can pick. Okay, uh... Simon Rattle. XD Cause, you know, the hair. The crazy conductor's hair. <3

Maybe I'll think of something else when I'm not exhausted. >___>

lol I saw that the other day and didn't even care that it was Mozart, I thought it was the coolest thing I've seen in years.  

Septomor

Missouri Fiddler

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:37 am
My Mom. She's probably the best violinist I've ever heard (definitely in the top 3, anyway) but she buries herself out here in the boonies because this is where Dad is and she says it's a better place for us kids. She's also a terrific teacher and her students are always hanging around the house. For holidays, students who can't get home stay with us.  
Classical Musicians Guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff