Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I'm a bad Atheist. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xiporah

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:07 am
I snored through three chapters of the God Delusion before giving it up. I didn't understand most of it.

I avoid talking to religious types about their religion or my lack thereof.

I've never read the bible. I don't want to. I don't even want one in my house.

I've never made a well informed decision about Atheism. Too much effort. I kinda just...never thought any other way.

I used to listen to Point of Inquery podcasts, and it all made sense while they were talking, but I retained about -.005% of the information therein.

Offensive Anti-religious humor makes me laugh hysterically.

Yeah. I give Atheists a bad name.

Sorry about that. emo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:55 pm
Ah your fine that doesn't make you a bad anything...is there really a requirement to be a good atheist tho? I've not found a book telling us what to do....yet...*twilight music plays in the background.  

Crooked_Lamb

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:19 pm
IMO, a bad atheist would be one who believes in ghosts and stuff.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:34 pm
Xiporah
I snored through three chapters of the God Delusion before giving it up. I didn't understand most of it.

I avoid talking to religious types about their religion or my lack thereof.

I've never read the bible. I don't want to. I don't even want one in my house.

I've never made a well informed decision about Atheism. Too much effort. I kinda just...never thought any other way.

I used to listen to Point of Inquery podcasts, and it all made sense while they were talking, but I retained about -.005% of the information therein.

Offensive Anti-religious humor makes me laugh hysterically.

Yeah. I give Atheists a bad name.

Sorry about that. emo

I'm still in the process of reading that book. I sort of gave up for a bit because it takes me getting into the right mood to sit down and read something like that. I haven't been in that mood lately.

Some people don't really care to be informed about religion and atheism when they make the choice or they come to the realization that they are religious or atheist. It doesn't make them a bad individual of that group but it does mean they should probably stay away from getting into deep argument/debate because they won't be able to do as well, as many of the others who are very well informed the side they are on, and the side they oppose.

Sanguvixen

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:39 pm
Rilian
User Image

Except, atheism makes no statements about ghosts - only deities. wink

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:41 pm
Lol. That's okay. I mean I don't think someone has to "look into atheism" and know everything about it before claiming to atheist...
Believers are the ones that should "look into" their religion and see how much it makes sense and examine all the irrefutable "facts" and "evidence" before claiming that their religion is 100% true.

I find books on atheism very interesting. I also like reading the bible, even though I can't stand religious claims and stories.  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

Crooked_Lamb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:03 pm
Rilian

Daffodil said it Ghosts aren't gods thus if we choose it we may believe in their spooky-ness if need be.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:42 pm
Well, as long as you don't discriminate or debate without any information, you're not giving Atheists a bad name.  

Ryuuko666

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:11 pm
Who are other people to judge you on their concept of atheism, anyway?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:27 pm
Well, as it's been said countless times before, the definition of atheism is the lack of a belief in a god or gods... That's it. Wether you come to that position through a carefully deliberated, well informed rational decision or you simply just don't believe, it matters not. Everything else you might believe is extraneous. However, if you do come to the position of atheism because of a rational process of critical thinking, one would expect that you apply the same criteria to other areas of your life and belief structures... I think that many who are atheists because of their rationality, expect that other atheists are that way for the same reason... Which is why you'll have people here be surprised that there are other atheists who otherwise believe in all sorts of strange things. sweatdrop

Can't get through a page of the God Delusion? Fine.
Don't give a crap about what the Anthropic principle is? No problem!
Think Pascal's wager is something you might see in Final Jeopardy? Whatever

The only thing it takes to be an atheist is a lack of a belief in a god or gods.
There's no good or bad atheists, you either are one or you aren't.

P.S. This reminded me to look for a topic on atheist books.. If I can't find one I'm gonna make one.  

Edi Gammon

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:47 pm
IMO, someone who believes in anything supernatural is a bad atheist.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:37 am
I'm a bad atheist- When I'm in pain or worried about something, I still have the bad habit of asking God to make it all better. gonk Curse 12 years of being Catholic and 7 years of Catholic education!  

Slimy Hats

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:08 pm
Slimy Hats
I'm a bad atheist- When I'm in pain or worried about something, I still have the bad habit of asking God to make it all better. gonk Curse 12 years of being Catholic and 7 years of Catholic education!
User Image

Old habits die hard, eh? If I'm in a serious crisis, I find myself often leaning towards prayer, since that was what I used to do in a crisis... then I realize how ridiculous it is to pray to someone I don't believe exists. It's an emotional reason for belief in God - a feeling of comfort, I suppose, but emotions have never necessarily been a good indicator of reality. :/

User Image

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:05 pm
I discovered at my Family Reunion that my distant cousin was an Atheist, and I looked at the sky and said "Maybe there is a God."

I wasn't joking.

Now THAT is a bad atheist.

Sex! at the Disco

4,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:36 am
Sex! at the Disco
I discovered at my Family Reunion that my distant cousin was an Atheist, and I looked at the sky and said "Maybe there is a God."

I wasn't joking.

Now THAT is a bad atheist.
User Image

That doesn't make a bad atheist either - just an agnostic atheist! razz

Honestly, if I were to come across compelling proof of a god, I'd probably start to believe in one. ;P

User Image

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces