Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The God Delusion...?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zeph6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:49 pm
I just began reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins and I was wondering if anyone else has read it? What did you think of it? Do you think it's a breakthrough for atheists? Please tell me your thoughts...  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:59 pm
I read it last year. It was the first atheist type book I bought, and this was about a month after I officially admitted to myself that I was atheist and stopped having anything to do with church.

Before I read it, I didn't know very much at all about the common arguments for and against beliefs in god, and I had no experience with the usual attacks of atheism. I found that I devoured this book really quickly, and went back to reread many sections so I could remember certain things.

Breakthrough? Well, I think that it may be. It really has sold a lot of copies... And there's a proper section labled Atheist/Agnostic books now at Borders book store, which was not there last year. I think that could be at least in part credited to Dawkin's book and the parade of other books on the topic that has followed recently.

It's a great book and I enjoyed it thoroughly (and still do).  

Edi Gammon

gallows humour

Tipsy Gawker

15,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:13 pm
Tee hee. Dawkins signed my copy. It's a wonderful book because it's clear, enlightened, and compassionate. It doesn't really have any new information/arguments, but it does list them out in a pleasant and very accessible manner.

It does a very good job of telling you what you already knew. It makes angry atheists like me feel very good. : )  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:22 pm
My mom bought that book. She thought that the ontological argument meant that you could imagine the most perfect flutterby (or anything) and it would be real, and she was like, "That's obviously false, so why all the fuss?"

But the ontological argument actually starts by saying that "god" is the greatest thing that can be imagined, and it also claims that the greatest thing that can be imagined would be a real thing, because we can conceive of something existing.

The ontological argument might be a little easier to talk about if we equated "great" with "powerful". So, it claims that if you imagine something really powerful, it would be more powerful if it were real, so it must be real, so that it can be "god".

Nope, that doesn't make any sense, either.

So, the problem with the ontological argument is that it assumes that something must be real just because we can imagine it.

This seems really idiotic. Am I over-looking something?  

Prince Rilian

gallows humour

Tipsy Gawker

15,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:34 pm
The argument is:

God is the greatest thing imaginable.

If it didn't exist it wouldn't really be all that great, now would it?

Therefore: God exists. talk2hand  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:37 pm
So, I got it right. You just put it in better and shorter wording.

smile heart  

Prince Rilian

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:10 am
I've read
The God Delusion, The End of Faith, god is not Great.
I wanna get: How to be a good atheist, the portable atheist, and letter to a christian nation.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:22 am
D i v i n i t y
I've read
I wanna get: How to be a good atheist, the portable atheist, and letter to a christian nation.

Of the ones you listed, I've read the 1st, 2nd, and 6th. I own the 5th and the 6th. I wish to read the 3rd.  

Prince Rilian

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:40 am
User Image

Honestly, I don't see how any of the classical Aquinas' arguments for the existence of God, or any similar ones, make any real sense. They all seem to be seriously lacking IMO.

I've never read the God Delusion but I've read "Atheism: The Case Against God" and it's pretty convincing.

User Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:52 am
Rilian
D i v i n i t y
I've read

Of the ones you listed, I've read the 1st, 2nd, and 6th. I own the 5th and the 6th. I wish to read the 3rd.

I love the third book. :]  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:58 pm
Sadly I've never read ANy of those, and The God Delusion was the only one I've ever heard of...

There was one book called "God: The Failed Hypothesis" that I tried to get when I first realized my atheism... ah, my mother put a stop to that quickly, because me trying to get it was how she found out...

Anyway, that was a year ago, and if it wasn't $30 I'd get it.
Interesting book... it was full of those interesting "X does y. Y does z. Therefore x must equal z. But x does not." deals.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:37 pm
KuroFur
Sadly I've never read ANy of those, and The God Delusion was the only one I've ever heard of...

There was one book called "God: The Failed Hypothesis" that I tried to get when I first realized my atheism... ah, my mother put a stop to that quickly, because me trying to get it was how she found out...

Interesting book... it was full of those interesting "X does y. Y does z. Therefore x must equal z. But x does not." deals.

That's called a Syllogism. : )  

gallows humour

Tipsy Gawker

15,500 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:34 pm
Sharp Santini
KuroFur

That's called a Syllogism. : )

Ah, yes, that was it.
The "Law of Syllogism."

It just strikes me as funny that what I used in math class is applied to religion.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:43 pm
I just finished The God Delusion in the last month or so, and I found it quite interesting. It really helped me flesh out my own ideas, I think.

I'm currently reading a book by A. C. Grayling called Life, Sex, and Ideas: The Good Life Without God, which is very good. It's not a book about atheism exactly. Rather, it's a collection of essays about various issues and ideas (Art, Justice, Religion, etc.) and how they ought to be approached, with most of them containing something or other that indicates that a god isn't necessary (mostly indirectly).  

Iconoclast Enthusiast

5,650 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Brandisher 100

ellell89

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:50 pm
I have the god delusion I read most of it but then got really really bored of it just seemed to be the same thing over and over again.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games