*~Boys Next Door discussion~* Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BlackHat
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:17 pm
Ah,its a one shot yes.. not much to talk about, but I think this manga really made an impact on alot of people. I would like to have an open discussion about this manga,which happends to be my favorite of all of Yuki-sensei's work.  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:43 am
Yes, it´s wonderful isn´t it..? I love that manga it´s soo beautiful... blaugh  

Synthetic Angel

6,900 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

Shura Yukihime

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 5:02 am
It's a wonderful story... a fine example of the great talent Kaori Yuki has. The characters are hardly one's idea of attractive, what with one party being a boy prostitute, and the other a serial killer. Although what they do might seem repulsive, to someone who has yet to read the manga, the reader never feels it is so. Rather, she manages to invoke sympathy for both of the characters.

Right. But for me, Boys Next Door was my first step into the rather *cough* interesting world of BL. A good step too... it dragged me into all the other Kaori Yuki works as well. I wouldn't say it's my favourite, just that it ties with Neji and Kaine for second place out of all her works (first is Count Cain, not that it matters now).  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:59 am
I think it was one of my first Yuki-manga too...
One of my absolute favorites! I cry ev'ry time I read it... crying Even makes my cry when I just thinks about it..!
heart  

Sonoshi
Crew

Synthetic Angel

6,900 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:07 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:37 am
Well, what can I say that hasn't already been mentioned?
It was great, no questions about it.  

Vi Sparklemist

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 10:03 am
BND... What can I say. It's amazing. I always start to cry at the same page, where Lawr looks at Adrian, the moment before he's killed. His expression... I haven't seen someone look so sad in a manga before. After that I cry non-stop til the end. (re-read it yesterday and is still affected)  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 1:27 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  

Synthetic Angel

6,900 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

Whoop Rico 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:37 am
Boys Next Door was my very first Kaori Yuki manga. That single book is the reason I started reading her other books. Shura made a good point with what she said. I never felt repulsed by the boy prostitute or the insane serial killer. I usually just wanted to hug them.

That manga was the most moving manga I've ever read. It still makes me cry when I re-read it.

User Image
I'm trying to keep from crying...I am in study hall after all.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 6:25 am
3nodding  

Synthetic Angel

6,900 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Tycoon 200

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 2:21 am
Nitogumi
Boys Next Door was my very first Kaori Yuki manga. That single book is the reason I started reading her other books. Shura made a good point with what she said. I never felt repulsed by the boy prostitute or the insane serial killer. I usually just wanted to hug them.

Same for me. That's what I think is Yuki's real strength, her ability to really get into complicated and disturbed characters, make them her heroes, and make us love them.

I wonder if the reason why she often makes them die in violent and tragic ways is because we couldn't take their faults for too long if she didn't. But I'm not sure.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:35 am
Sanekazura
Nitogumi

Same for me. That's what I think is Yuki's real strength, her ability to really get into complicated and disturbed characters, make them her heroes, and make us love them.

I wonder if the reason why she often makes them die in violent and tragic ways is because we couldn't take their faults for too long if she didn't. But I'm not sure.

I think it's because we actually feel for these characters, so when they die, their deaths really hit us hard. As in, they deliver a pretty hard emotional impact upon their tragic deaths... because they're sort of finally free... Like in BND, Lawr is finally free from the existence he hates, and Aydrian doesn't have to spend the rest of his life in prison, or killing people... But that's how I read the whole killing of characters thing, personally. Cruel Fairytales and Gravel Kingdom also have some examples of these... Martin and Saga of the Sand respectively.  

Shura Yukihime

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:10 am
Shura Yukihime
Sanekazura
Nitogumi

I think it's because we actually feel for these characters, so when they die, their deaths really hit us hard. As in, they deliver a pretty hard emotional impact upon their tragic deaths... because they're sort of finally free... Like in BND, Lawr is finally free from the existence he hates, and Aydrian doesn't have to spend the rest of his life in prison, or killing people... But that's how I read the whole killing of characters thing, personally. Cruel Fairytales and Gravel Kingdom also have some examples of these... Martin and Saga of the Sand respectively.

Speaking of Saga... He's a character I really like, and I wonder if the reason for it is his death. Just when it looked like it was all going to be fine, he dies. Whe I read GK I had the feeling that despite all that had happened he could start over again, and be forgiven. His death was just so meaningless. And I wonder if that's one reason why I like him as much as I do?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:15 pm
I really like this series. There isn't much for me to say about it, but it is a series that I will definately remember~  

Takarai Hideto

Hilarious Genius

3,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Explorer 100

Izumi-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 11:40 am
I really love this manga! I'm not sure if I would be this into Kaori Yuki's work if I hadn't read it. It is so romantic and I love the ending. I read the last few pages like five times in a row the first time I read it. I don't really find it sad though. I think it had a rather happy ending. Lawr escaped his life as a prostitute and Adrian got to go and meet him. So sweet...:sighs:  
Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff