Excited?
  Yes!
  Yes?
  *Poofs in, grabs gold*
View Results

serephemeral
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:49 pm
Alright, guys, here it is, the first Workshop Class! I'm so excited! I hope it works, and you all enjoy it! (I use exclaimation points when I'm excited, did you notice?)

The rules here are also posted on the rules sticky, but just in case you didn't read it:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To begin with, just for now and to prevent any hard feelings, I'm going to be the only one posting edits and suggestions. I hope that doesn't bother anyone!

Repeating from the original questioning post, what will happen is that every week I'll post a new writing prompt. You will take that prompt, follow the directions, and write a piece. Sometimes it will be specified what kind of piece (poem, short story, play, etc.) and sometimes I'll let you do what you will. The prompts can also be abstract, so be creative! That's what this is for: the spawning of creativity. In a few weeks it should be dripping out our pores, there'll be so much!

You don't have to participate every week (though I hope you do!).

Easy to understand? Good!

The at-a-glance rules:
1. Be creative!
2. Have fun.
3. Be nice to your fellow writers; keep all criticism constructive!
4. I'm not going to censor your pieces, but please include a warning if it's more graphic, though I would rather you kept it within good taste.
5. Try your best, but don't belittle yourself. Some have had more experience than others. Myself, I absolutely SUCKED at writing even a year ago. Practice makes...not perfect, but better. Enough better, and you won't NEED perfect.

If at any time you need to talk to me, with questions, comments, suggestions, anything, PM me. I'd be happy to help, and I'm always looking for suggestions!  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:00 pm
Whew! I get long-winded sometimes, sorry! Thanks for bearing with me.

The first prompt is a four-part prompt, simple, but fun. It's more to warm up, but work on good, creative description. There isn't going to be any editing or criticism, this is more of a getting-to-know-you thing. Give me a taste of your style!

Prompt #1:
Describe a white room.

Prompt #2:
Describe a body of water.

Prompt #3:
Describe a color, but don't use the name of the color.

Prompt #4:
Describe an animal, also without using its name.

Please keep this a short short descriptive piece.

Since it's Wednesday when I'm posting this, I'm going to have this one end NEXT weekend, which would be at the end of Saturday, August 30th.

Post this as a reply to this post, just for now, so that we don't clutter until we have our own forum (if I get enough support. No, when!) to do it to.  

serephemeral
Crew

Collote
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:21 pm
Prompt #1: Describe a white room.

Ok, this isn't the best writing piece I've done... the ending's strange. It started out as a description and then it became a twisted short story. I'm not even sure if this is what you're looking for.

Well, here it goes!

A plain room that, some people may think, can only be owned by the dullest group of people. They’re the boring people who don’t take the time to pick out a real color to coat their walls with. People who can’t seem to take 3 seconds out of their time to glue poster after poster on their walls. Yes, they must be lacking personality… they must be robots.

But if you looked deeper -just as Dr. Seuss looked deeper into a simple snowflake to find Whoville- you would see the opposite. You would see how those people saw a lot in, instead of on, that white wall of theirs. The color white reflects; it shares its light instead of being self-centered. It is almost overused on one of the most joyous days of a person’s life; their wedding. When that ‘robot’ walks into their room, they feel a sense of being different- just being themselves- just as some of you do! Their simple, untouched room is just as symbolic, if not more, than your room is. And you are too naïve to see that.

Of course, you just can’t stand how white the room is. It all hits you- how important this room was to that individual- after you draw on the once perfectly spotless wall. The ‘dull’ person’s identity shattered when they saw it…

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:46 pm
Prompt #2: Describe a body of water.

Eh, there isn't really an ending... but other than that I think it's okay. (:

The small stream continued to stay mobile on its path like blood cells in humans’ veins. It was obviously alive, but it wasn’t well; garbage had been thrown randomly into the water. The birds and plants knew their water source wasn’t a garbage can, so why did the smartest mammals think it was? Because of all of the humans, the land surrounding the stream- and the stream itself- looked dead, and most of it was. Larger animals, like hawks, had troubles finding prey such as small birds. The very few birds were lucky to get themselves some decaying fish to eat. And the living fish had troubles finding insects. It was a never ending cycle that just led to more death. The equation to this disaster is simple; a stream so small it’s almost insignificant plus a bunch of lazy humans who can’t walk the extra couple of steps to the nearest garbage can.  

Collote
Crew

dragongirl187

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:07 pm
One: The White Room

"No! Don't do this to me!" I scream as the trapdoor opens and drops me into the room. I land on the sticky floor, my breath whooshing out of me. After a moment of Rice Krispy Treat flashbacks, I turn over onto my back and look up at the ceiling, 300 feet above me.

I try as hard as I can, but I can't even see the door I came through. The bright white color hurts my eyes. I stand up and the floor bounces a bit beneath my feet. I spin around slowly. Everywhere I look is whiteness - wet, sticky, sweet whiteness. I can't even see where the floor stops and the ceiling starts - no shadows are here to help me.

I absently brush my hair away from my face and grimace, pulling my hand away from the sticky goop stuck to my scalp. "I hate marshmallows," I grumble.

Two: The Body of Water

The slow stream gurgles as it moves along, full of fish and slippery rocks. As it flows farther and farther along, the gurgle turns into a grumble. The water flows faster, although the rocks are no less slimy. Another mile down, it begins to roar. It rushes faster and faster, abandoning all twists and turns, just racing straight until the edge: the
drop
of
a
waterfall.

Three: The Color

In a room devoid of light, you cannot see your hand in front of your face. You cannot see the obsidian rock that cuts into your hand until the blood is flowing down your hand, accompanied by unbearable pain. You try to stop it with your dark cloak, but it is too late - you sink into unconsciousness.

Four: The Animal

I swoop down on the village, roaring in anger at the thief that stole my treasure hoard. I breathe fire on the houses, destroying the buildings and the people inside as I carry off a single virginal princess.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:32 am
Prompt #3: Describe a color, but don't use the name of the color.

Okay, I'm going to listen to the "keep it a short description" rule this time. Sorry!

The color hardly seems disastrous, all though it’s the color of the cursed Hope Diamond. A beautiful color, even though it’s used to describe our melancholy friend, Eeyore. A color that doesn’t look rough, but it is frequently used to explain the color of jeans. Or the cold, pure water of the great lakes.  

Collote
Crew

Collote
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:40 am
Prompt #4: Describe an animal, also without using its name.

I prance all about in an exciting game called Bother Daddy! He looks at me as if I’m being immature, and maybe I am, but I don’t care. No, not one bit. I see a microscopic flying object. Must. Catch. The. Fruit. Fly! Dad would be so impressed. I jump into the air, just as I had practiced in that gymnastics session taught by me, swat at the air and fall to the ground empty handed. I let out a pathetic little noise in disappointment.

What am I? xD  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:20 am
Thought I'd join in on this one.

Thin, silken white curtains flare from the window across the room. The polished wood floors gleam in the half-light. A four-post bed calls to me, its pillowy comforter reaching out almost as if to embrace me. It smells empty, as if the one it had been readied for had never returned. Cool rain patters on the sand outside, dropping into the foaming ocean.

The lake rolls softly, streaching to touch my ankles. I step forward, the water warming my feet as steam gently floats on the surface. It gently picks me up and cradles me, softly rocking.

I am soft and comforting, surrounding you the moment you step into the forest. I am the grass on a cool spring day. I am leaves fluttering in the breeze, tickling you as you walk by.

I flit from tree to tree, almost buzzing with excitement and energy. On my search for sugar, I'm almost too fast to see. My colors are brilliant, reflective, a rare treat.  

serephemeral
Crew

Jak the Bard

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:19 pm
Prompt #1:
The room's walls shined a pale colour, the light refracting off the various bumps created by the stucco.

Prompt #2:
The ocean rolled over itself, over and over again, in a steady rhythm that brought a wave of salty scent with each fold. The brine is an unusual grey-green colour, unlike the typical blue or dark green.

Prompt #3:
The bright colour compliments my eyes, reminding me of lavender plants, or of violets. The sparkle appears to attract the bees with its radiation.

Prompt #4:
The pack creeps along the forest floor. Several lupine creatures closing in on a single animal. Their ears p***k up at the slightest sound, causing caution and invisible nervousness before the pack continues to circle its prey.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:44 pm
Prompt #1:
It's almost so cleanly bright that it makes my eyes hurt. The wave of white washes over me as I enter a world of unity and sameness. The shadows in the corners stand out, but reveal nothing, for they are as empty as the blank staring walls.

Prompt #2
The surf crashes to the shore as the magnificent ocean rolls back and forth. The capricious blue-green water controls all in its path. It takes all and gives back little. It is the all-powerful, yet stunning queen of the earth.

Prompt #3
It is said that this color often strikes a chord with animals. It is attractive and showy, drawing in all those who see it. Yet, it is a color of danger and warning. Above all, it is the thick and gory hue of blood.

Prompt #4
I lazily gaze through squinted eyes at the boisterous nuisance who woke me. I wish that the world would disappear so that I could sleep in peace. Although, I do want some fish in that world-less world... And maybe someone to play with from time to time. Now that I'm up, I resort to giving myself a thorough tongue bath and wait for my mistress to arrive.  

penandpaper67
Captain

AmenthystMoon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:36 am
Prompt #1:
It's like room from a dream, a scary awful dream u can't wake up from, so blindingly white, everywhere the floor, ceiling and walls are the white of the glare of the sun in the sahara, at midday, there is no furniture, only blankness, it's impossible to see where the walls end and where the ceiling and floors begin, u could be walking on air for all u know.....

Prompt #2:
the waves rushed up to meet lorianne's feet as soon as she stepped onto the beach, it was an unfriendly sort of beach, nosand, just rocks, dull grey rocks all lumped together where the water met the land. to be sure they were smooth, but they were as unlike the the water as they could possibly be, the water was green and thick and slimy, filled with the filth and decay of the centuries. the local factories added to the mess by dumping all thier waste products to the water, with no concern to the wild life which inhabited it. most of the wildlife was gone now, save for a few tough, big catfish who preyed on the weak, the innocent, the unaware. and so Lorianne became thier next victim.....

Prompt #3:
But it's so dark, why would anyone want to surround themselves in such a color, that brings to mind sunsets, and war @ the same time? especially in their bedrooms?i'd never be able to sleep knowing that this is the color of the life that runs through my veins, the color of life that ran through the veins of the countless victims of Count Dracula, whose blood is now the dye for the red caps'caps! the color of power, and might, and awful beauty, the color of, a ruby.

Prompt #4:
running through the forest, silent as night, the soft pads on his toes making no noise and he runs towards his prey. his best friend, unawares is being hunted, by none other than he, who becomes as he is once month, in the dead of the night when the lamplight of the moon shines upon him, and then, it is he who is unawares, of who he is, of his family, of his life. he's gone from being the hunted to the hunter, if only for a few hours, now it's time to take his revenge, but forgetting who he normally is, all he sees is a filthy human, who bands with others to kill his kind, one who is the reason he is so feared and hunted, how are they to know that they are gentle who become monsters in the light of the savage hunting done upon him? the human stops and he sees his chance, before the attack he lets loose a wild howl and that is the last sound his best frined shall ever hear, in the world of the living at least......

hope this is ok it may all be over the top and dramatic but it's easier for me to write that way  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:01 am
Prompt #1:
she can feel the room as it ascends, the room itself brings to mind a blissful sense of peace, a sense of whats to come, HEAVEN! she had already passed through the the "waiting room" anf now she was eagerly awaiting the last step of journey, the step through those (now not so) mythical gates, into a world where she will be happy forevermore, no more worries or cares, a clean slate, as blank as theelvator in which she is standing, a pure blank white with no marks to mar it's luxurious surface.....

Prompt #2:
the sparkling sapphire, embedded in a bronze plate, constantly shifting and moving with the light, adorning the surface, bring joy and beauty to all those who behold her, she feels beautiful and she shines that glory on all of her visitors, who feel beautified and cleansed as as they leaver her side with great reluctance.......

Prompt #3:
shafts of light from the heavens, pierce the clouds, bringing soft beauty to the earth as they continue to cut away at the dull clouds, to welcome the earth to it's precense, gently nudging sleepers awake with her warm tones and airy warmth, sleepers awaken cheefully and quietly. wakers fall asleep basking in her warmth, breathing in deeply the scent of the sun......

Prompt #4: with a burst of flame she enters the cavern, bringing joy to the ppl there for she brings great news via the rider on her scaly back, and the energized happiness in her intelligent eyes, her claws may be as long as a mans forearm, and he is not frightened. he tooth may be bigger than a child, and they are not frightened. her tale may be longer than and indians longhouse, and yet they are not frightened. they are glad, for it is their friend, protector and benefactor to who they speak, so they are happy.  

AmenthystMoon

GeekyTanta

Angelic Loiterer

11,090 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:21 pm
I know, technically, I am a little late but tada! here it is. cool

Prompt 1:
She called it her ‘sewing room’ not that he’d ever seen her sew. More than likely it was just a place to get away from all the men in her life, Greg had to admit that he and the boys could be quite a handful at times. Greg turned as he looked about the room, okay he could understand the white walls and the white lace curtains that ruffled gently in the breeze. He could even understand the white couch and the paler than pale white coffee table and sewing desk, although Jill insisted on calling them eggshell or bone or something.
‘It’s not white, white, Greg!’
Whatever, it looked white to him. No, what he couldn’t understand was the white carpet. What moron thought that was a brilliant idea? Let’s take the one colour that shows up every speck of dirt and put it on the floor. Greg didn’t care if white helped show up dropped pins and bits of coloured thread better, it was still a stupid idea and he was stupid to agree to it.
All he’d wanted was a pair of scissors. Greg looked back at the trail of muddy footprints that shadowed him; yep he was so screwed when Jill came home.

Prompt 2:
Born of wind and storm the puddle lay in the early morning stillness. A greasy surface film reflected a rainbow of colours, the promise given that it was all over . . . for now. A rat scurried up to sniff at the water, nose twitching, it tentatively began to drink. Always alert, ever aware that death might be approaching on swift, silent feet.
A steady drone, a swishing noise that increased in volume, the rat fled to safer, darker territory. The car rumbled through the silent industrial zone, its occupant oblivious to the world outside. First one wheel, then the other rolled through the puddle, shattering its stillness, throwing rainbow drenched droplets back into the sky, back from where it was born. The car moved on leaving the puddle diminished a shadow of its former self. Left the puddle waiting, waiting for the next storm.

A bit flowery, I know. neutral  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:23 pm
Prompt 3:
I am the sun with a smiley face, crudely drawn on a child’s picture. I am the deep warm colour of butter, oozing gently on your toast. I am the vast and uncaring deserts, which suck all life from those unprepared that tread upon me. I am the edges of your coast, on whose damp and warm surface footprints temporarily live. I am your sandcastle, doomed to a watery grave. I am the buttercup, whose petals gently drift to the ground as you dream of the one to come . . . he loves me, he loves me not. I am the daffodil that heralds the coming of spring. I am . . .

Prompt 4:
Curled up tightly in a ray of sunshine, a fluffy tail curled around its nose, eyes shut tight. Whiskers and toes begin to twitch, caught up in a dream of mice and saucers of cream. A deep rumbling purr, like an outboard motor, begins from the depths of the creature. Green eyes pop open and it yawns. Stretching out first one paw then the next it stands slowly. Nose and ears twitch, was that a can opener? Leaping off the chair it saunters into the kitchen, the human is up, time for breakfast.  

GeekyTanta

Angelic Loiterer

11,090 Points
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Dressed Up 200

iMythy

5,400 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Contributor 150
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:51 pm
I know this prompt ended two days ago, but I still wanna give it a try. =3 Hope you don't mind!

Prompt #1: White Room

The room was blank. Utterly blank. And as I stared at it, I felt my eyes begin to burn from the sheer brightness. White floors. White walls. I could barely find the door if it weren't for the silver handle the stuck out of it. As I stared at the windowless room, I couldn't help but wonder.
Who on earth would make an entirely white room? Where wasn't a single hint of a different color, or even a shadow for all I could see.
Rubbing my eyes I took a step forward, cringing as my bare foot came down on the, big surprise, white linoleum floor.
This room was insane...And the best thing about it?
There were no windows. Not a one...

And the door was locked from the outside...

Prompt #2: Ocean

Staring at the waves crashing upon the shore, I took in the sound, the smells, and the sight.
It was wonderful. The ocean lay unmoving, yet constantly dancing to a rhythmic beat that reminded me of a heart. So steady it was, never loosing it's tempo as it went on. Although the water moved, the actual ocean did not.
The white foamy edges of the water engulfed my feet, swallowing them from my sight as I stood motionless. A soft breeze blew off of the bay, brushing my bangs out of my face and splashing stray water droplets into my face as clouds began to set in.
The ocean was truly wonderful. The great distance it covered and the amount of water it held was enough to prove that fact.
As the waves withdrew, I felt a part of my heart disappear, only for it to return once the waves surged forward again. The ocean was my life.
I couldn't live without it. The blue water was just to brilliant and beautiful to let go.
Staring at the waves, motionless and unmoving, I listened closely.
I listened as my heart made a sweet lullaby with the crashing waves.

Prompt #3: Colour
Going blind was a curious thing. It snapped everything into perspective at the first moment, and then it went blank, leaving you lost and confused in a world you didn't even recognize. Staring at the empty void in front of me left me feeling exactly that. Like a lost puppy. Just seconds ago I was perfectly fine, smiling up at the familiar boy who was returning the grin ( only his was more crooked ).
Just a few seconds ago, I had begun to feel funny, like there was a tingling in the back of my head that crept towards my eyes, robbing them of all sight...
robbing them of all the colours...
...of his face...
I was left with nothing. Nothing but darkness that seemed so magnified, like it was right in front of my face...and yet I still felt as if I could reach out and see my hand...
It was like someone had shoved an over sized sock on my head. A very thick sock that blocked out every single ray of sunlight...
The color was gone...leaving me all alone in my own dark world...
Seeing only a color that reminded me of death...

Prompt #4: Animal

I said nothing as Edward led the dog closer to me. Being blind had its disadvantages. It meant that I couldn't see the beautiful animal that stood before me. I lifted my hand hesitantly, waiting for the animal to come closer. As if reading my thoughts, she did. The four legged creature stepped forward, whining slightly as my cold fingers ran through her fur. Black, Edward had said. She had black fur. I began to imagine what Nasira looked like as my fingers ran through her silky coat. Her ears were perked, but floppy, and her snout wasn't that long...of course it wasn't that short either. When my hands traveled down Nasira's foreleg, I noticed just how strong the animal was. I felt the power surging through each muscle in the canine's legs. Feel them twitch with every movement that she made. Staring blindly at the dog made me wish I still had my eyes. That I could still see the beautiful creature in front of me...
But I couldn't...and that was that.
There was no way that I could ever see again.

Oi...those are kind of long. Sorry. ^^; I don't do well when it comes to really short stories. ._.

Writing Workshop

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff