Yes, and I thought it was...okay...
  Yeah, and I didn't like it at all. Sorry. =/
  No, but I plan to! =]
  NO! I refuse to read this junk. >:D
View Results

Collote
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 5:34 pm
I reread my story, and realized that (all though I meant to blame 'fake' advertisements) I blamed men. I also realized that some of it just didn't make sense, and that I needed to add more to give people the feel that bulimia and the 'perfect box' the media has kindly made for us is cruel.

Enjoy! Oh, and constructive criticism is more than welcome!

Bibliography:

"American advertising in the media." Google Answers. 30 Dec. 2008 .

"Focus Adolescent Services: Eating Disorders." Focus Adolescent Services: Help Your Teen and Heal Your Family. 30 Dec. 2008 .

Isn't it sad that, when I was looking this information up, I came across about a dozen airbrushed photos in ads?

Everyday, the average American, whether consciously or not, is exposed to around 3,000 advertisements. Advertisements from magazines, the radio and TV, billboards, etc. make up this scary number. Looking at the visual ads, it doesn’t take a genius to realize that many of the pictures were put into a computer where it was airbrushed and retouched to look perfect. A beautiful female looks less than average compared to a once-average-looking female on the cover of a magazine. The once-average-looking female who is now a toothpick-who-manages-to-have-big-assets-and-a-gorgeous-face.

There isn’t just one perfect female, There’s thousands of Barbie dolls that make up their own world. The pictures surround all beings, engulfing them, leaving them with no escape from this eye-catching perfection. Everywhere they look, they are being degraded, causing them to wonder what is wrong with them.

Causing them to do whatever it takes to join the unreal world. Even if it means harming themselves.

Out of the 10 million American women who suffer from an eating disorder, Mary Smith is one of them. She too has seen the world more times to count. It only takes a couple of pictures to make someone feel humiliated; imagine what thousands of pictures could do to someone… to Mary.

The Smith’s parents weren’t oblivious. No, they just expected life-threatening situations to magically go away over night. They expected their teenage daughter to one day wake up, feel beautiful, and stop barfing.

How ever, The other teenage Smith, Willow, was oblivious. As a girl not self-confident herself, she seemed to be too absorbed in her own ‘ugly’ looks to realize that her sister might feel ugly, too. She envied Mary for her body and wished people would tell her she looked identical to her sister. It took her months to notice the sounds coming from the tiny bathroom. When she finally noticed some thing wasn’t right, she confronted her older sister.

“Why are you in the bathroom so much?” Willow asked one night at dinner. She also wasn’t the brightest one in the family, and was unable to form questions that didn’t sound stupid.

Their parents had left on a 2 week cruise- kind of like a honeymoon only 18 years later- leaving the girls home alone to take care of themselves.

Willow was in charge of cooking. That night, she had cooked fish for the two of them. Along with the mysterious sounds, she noticed Mary ate as much as she did, if not more, but Mary seemed to be losing weight rapidly.

Startled, Mary dropped her fork, her mouth agape. “I have bladder problems,” she said, not quite sure of herself.

“What’s with the sound? And the stench? I mean, EW!” Willow spat out questions. She looked at her boney sister and added, “Why am I fatter-much fatter- than you? It’s not like you’re on a diet!” She glanced at her sister’s overflowing plate.

The siblings stared each other down. Mary lost, looking to her plate. She picked it up and, in a sudden fit of rage, threw it on the ground. The fish went flying, along with small pieces of glass.

“What’s it to you?! Maybe I have a super high metabolism!” Mary screamed.

“I’m sure,” Willow muttered, sarcastically. But it didn’t matter; Mary had already gone to lock herself in the bathroom.

On top of Mary’s bulimia problem, she had relationship problems.

During the weeks the Smith’s parents were gone, Zack paid a visit. He looked too pleased for comfort, staring at his girlfriend’s fragile body as she hurried to get out the door. The couple had decided to do the dinner-and-movie thing.

After hours of watching old sci-fi movies, Willow heard voices coming from the porch. She muted the TV to eavesdrop on the conversation.

“What a great night,” a man commented. Willow decided the voice belonged to Zack.

“Yeah, it’s beautiful,” Mary replied.

“You’re almost as pretty as the stars! Just a little less weight and maybe some plastic-surgery....” Willow could tell Zack had smiled as he ruined the moment. He had probably thought he was giving his girl a compliment.

“I’m not good enough?” Willow imagined Mary looking down at the ground, her beautiful face warped into a frown.

“No,” the cruel man replied. “You love me right?”

“Yes, I do, but-” Mary started, but a sudden slap at her face silenced her.

“Then go in there and continue doing what you’ve been doing. Good night,” Zack said. Willow heard someone step off the stairs, followed by the sound of a car starting. She quickly unmuted the TV just as Mary entered the house.

The 17 year-old stopped, realizing that her sister had probably heard the argument. “Oh, I thought you were in bed,” Mary said. She sat down on the couch next to Willow. The TV was completely silenced, as Willow turned it off, but the room was not. Mary snapped, loudly sobbing as she cradled her face.

Willow moved closer to her sister and held her. She’d wait until morning to hear the whole story; they both needed some rest.

The sun, shining through every open space it could find between the closed shades, woke them up. They had fallen asleep on the couch, their bodies moved uncomfortably into each other’s arms. The girls unwound themselves and stretched, cracking their aching backs.

Mary began to cry silent tears as she recalled what had happened the night before.

“I became… bulimic… a couple of months before Zack stepped into the picture,” Mary whispered. A startled Willow turned her attention to Mary. The older sister continued, louder, “I just couldn’t stand looking at other girls and then looking at myself… and I still can’t! I’m so fat, my facial features are too big, and my skin is nasty!

“When I met Zack, all of that changed. He loved me, he was kind to me, he made me feel beautiful,” she sighed, fiddling with the heart necklace on her neck that was a present from him. “I couldn’t stop barfing, though; it had become a part of me… it had become a drug. Zack noticed me losing more and more weight, and at first I thought he was worried about me. Later, I realized he had gone crazy and abusive... for a reason I can’t put my finger on.

“This is the Zack I’ve known for a while… and still know today. I’m so weak… I can’t help myself.”

This seemed much like the nice-Mary the family had encountered months ago; talking to her sister about her feelings. When she became bulimic, the family met the yell-at-everyone-for-no-reason Mary.

Mary began to sob again, clenching onto her stomach. Willow wasn’t sure what to do. Should she call a doctor? The police? Her parents? Yes, but she couldn’t wrap her mind around what was going on to do so. She sat there, waiting for her sister to calm down.

“I’m going to die,” Mary said, through tears, after many minutes of letting out her pain.

Stupidly, Willow replied, “We’re all going to die some time.”

Not long after-maybe a couple of days later-he came for an unexpected visit. Willow answered the door to reveal Zack. He had brought roses, possibly to make up for the date that he had burned. She led him to the family room before he could even say ‘hi’.

Willow couldn’t help herself, she turned to Zack and said, “Jerk, you’re the reason my sisters in the bathroom barfing up the BLT I made her!”

Shaking in rage, Zack replied, “What?! That crazy b***h has always been like that!”

Just as he bawled up his fists to punch the girl, Mary walked in. She had small bits of vomit all around her mouth she had forgotten to clean up in a hurry to help her sister. Willow fainted at the sight.

A wide-eyes Mary grabbed the house phone and dialed 911.

There was a pause, as the person on the other end spoke, and then Mary quickly said, “My sister-“

Zack grabbed the phone, throwing it to the ground.

“I bring you roses and you call the police?!” He yelled as if Willow didn’t need a doctor’s help. He didn’t honestly want a response; he just wanted an excuse to beat Mary for the last time…

Willow woke up in a hospital bed. It took her a moment to remember what had happened. When it clicked, she turned to the nurse and asked, “Where is my sister?”

The nurse, busy looking at papers, jumped a bit before she turned to face the sickly pale girl. “Oh, you’re awake. Thank God. How are you, Hun?”

“Fine. Where is my sister?” she repeated.

The nurse frowned, not exactly sure how to tell the girl the tragic news. “The boy… Zack?”-Willow urgently nodded-“beat her… to death,” the woman said. She didn’t add the fact that nothing could’ve helped Mary- she would’ve died soon anyways- because she was so unhealthy. She then quickly said, “I’m so sorry, dear.”

Tears began to form in Willow’s eyes, making it hard for her to ask, “Is he in jail?”

The nurse nodded.

“Can I have some alone time?” Willow asked.

The nurse nodded again, exiting the room.

Why didn’t I realize some thing was wrong sooner? Why didn’t Mom or Dad stop it? What kind of person can kill a sweet girl like Mary? Why, why, why…

The Smith’s parents returned home the next day. They held Mary’s funeral that week. Many of Mary’s loved ones-her family and her many friends-showed up. It was an extremely upsetting event, but Willow was glad to know that Mary was at least going to be remembered and missed.

Willow had learned nothing. The whole experience had only left her with a dead sister. Even when she was dating a truly sweet boy, the unrealistically perfect world continued to fill her mind, becoming impossible to erase. Soon, the monster was after her, too….

Okay, this isn't the best thing in the world... but I still like it!
Please comment!
heart

Oh, and it isn't as long as it looks.

Every day, girls of all different ages, sizes and colors are being forced to see a perfect world. A world where woman are unnaturally beautiful and have, let’s say, flawless bikini-bodies. Not only do females see this world, but males do, too.

Sometimes men think they can put their lovers into this world.

They start by being very verbal; “hey, fatty, do you really need more chocolate?” or maybe, “what are you wearing? Sweatpants? And, where’s your make-up?” Occasionally, they go to the next step by becoming abusive; throwing punches and kicking. There’s another stage where, like Willow’s sister’s boyfriend, they drive their girlfriend bulimic or anorexic.

The Smith’s parents weren’t oblivious. No, they just expected life-threatening situations to magically go away over night. This is why Mary got away with barfing up all of her meals.

Willow, on the other hand, was oblivious. It took her months to notice the sounds coming from the tiny bathroom. When she finally noticed some thing was not right, she confronted her older sister.

“Why are you in the bathroom so much?” Willow asked one night at dinner. Their parents had left on a 2 week cruise- kind of like a honeymoon… only 18 years later- leaving the girls home alone to take care of themselves.

Willow was in charge of cooking. That night, she had cooked fish for the 2 of them. She noticed her sister ate as much as she did, if not more, but Mary seemed to be losing weight rapidly.

Startled, Mary dropped her fork, her mouth agape. “I have bladder problems,” she said, not exactly sure of herself.

“What’s with the sound? And the stench? I mean, EW!” Willow spat out questions. She looked at her boney sister and added, “Why am I fatter-much fatter- than you? It’s not like you’re on a diet!” She glanced at her sister’s overflowing plate.

The siblings stared each other down. Mary lost, looking to her plate. She picked it up and, in a sudden fit of rage, threw it on the ground. The fish went flying, along with small pieces of glass.

“What’s it to you?! Maybe I have a super high metabolism!” Mary screamed.

“I’m sure,” Willow muttered, sarcastically. But it didn’t matter; Mary had already gone to lock herself in the bathroom.

A few days later, Mary’s boyfriend, Zack, came over. He looked too pleased for comfort, staring at his girlfriend’s fragile body. The day went well; the couple went out to do the dinner and movie thing. Willow stayed home watching old sci-fi movies.

Around 9:00 P.M, Willow heard angry voices coming from the porch. She muted the T.V to listen to the conversation.

“I can’t do this anymore! Willow knows,” a female voice said. Willow knew it was her sister.

“You love me, don’t you?” a man asked, quietly. Zack, Willow decided.

“Oh, yes, I do, but-” Mary started, but a sudden slap at her face silenced her.

“Then go in there and continue what you’re doing. Good night,” Zack said. Willow heard him step off the stairs and then she heard his car start. She quickly unmuted the TV just as Mary entered the house.

The 17 year-old stopped, realizing that her sister had probably heard the argument. “Oh, I thought you were in bed,” Mary said. She sat down on the couch next to Willow. The TV was completely silenced, as Willow turned it off, but the room was not. Mary snapped, loudly sobbing as she held her face.

Willow rubbed her sister’s back as Marry said, between sobs, “I’m bul…imic.”

“Shh… I know,” Willow said. She’d wait until morning to get the whole story. Right now, they both needed some sleep.

The sun, shining through every open space it could find between the closed shades, woke them up. They had fallen asleep on the couch, Willow holding her sister as she let out her pain.

“Should I make eggs?” the 14 year-old asked, letting her sister go.

“No,” Mary said. “You need to hear this.”

Willow nodded as if allowing Mary to talk.

“Zack was truly the kindest person in the world, to me, for the first year of our relationship. Of course you know that… you used to envy me because he’d shower me with love and gifts,” she began as she fiddled with the hear necklace on her neck; a present from Zack. “I really don’t know what happened. I guess I became too fat and ugly for him. Anyway, he began to hit me. Of course he told me he was sorry and that he loved me…”-she shook her head-“And then I thought of an idea to keep him… loser weight fast and all I had to do was barf after every meal!”

Willow knew the rest of the story. Her sister began to eat more, but she went to the bathroom after she ate some thing. Not only that, but she began to look exhausted- not even her large amount of make-up could cover it- and she went from always-smiling-Mary to yell-at-everyone-Mary. Only Zack benefited from this alarming change.

“I’m going to die,” Mary said after many minutes of thought.

Stupidly, Willow replied, “We all are going to die some time.”

“Not all of us are going to die from being too skinny,” the teen muttered.

Two days later-a week before their parents were supposed to come back-Zack came for an unexpected visit. Willow answered the door to reveal Zack, with roses in his hands. She led him to the family room before he could even say ‘hi’. The girls had just eaten, so Mary was in the bathroom.

Willow couldn’t help herself, she turned to Zack and said, “Jerk, you’re the reason my sisters in the bathroom barfing up the BLT I made her!”

Zack, shaking in rage, replied, “What?!”

Just as he bawled up his fists to punch the girl, Mary walked in. She had small bits of vomit all around her mouth she had forgotten to clean up in a hurry to help her sister. Willow fainted at the sight.

A wide-eyes Mary pulled out her cell phone and dialed 911.

There was a pause, as the person on the other end spoke, and then Mary quickly said, “My sister-“

Zack grabbed the phone, throwing it to the ground.

“I bring you roses and you call the police?!” He yelled as if Willow didn’t need a doctor’s help. He didn’t honestly want a response; he just wanted an excuse to beat Mary for the last time…

Willow woke up in a hospital bed. It took her a moment to remember what had happened. When it clicked, she turned to the nurse and asked, “Where is my sister?”

The nurse, busy looking at papers, jumped a bit before she turned to face the sickly white girl. “Oh, you’re awake. Thank God. How are you, hun?”

“Fine. Where is my sister?” she repeated.

The nurse frowned, not exactly sure how to tell the girl the tragic news. “The boy… Zack?”-Willow urgently nodded-“beat her… to death,” the woman said. She didn’t add the fact that nothing could’ve helped Mary- she would’ve died soon anyways- because she was so unhealthy. She then quickly added, “I’m so sorry, dear.” Tears began to form in Willow’s eyes, making it hard for her to ask, “Is he in jail?”

The nurse nodded.

“Can I have some alone time?” Willow asked.

The nurse nodded again, exiting the room.

Why didn’t I realize some thing was wrong sooner? Why didn’t Mom or Dad stop it? What kind of person can kill a sweet girl like Mary? Why, why, why…

The Smith’s parents returned home the next day. They held Mary’s funeral that week. Many of Mary’s loved ones-her family and her many friends-showed up. It was an extremely upsetting event, but Willow was glad to know that Mary was at least going to be remembered and missed.

It didn’t take long to decide that Zack was a murderer. He was ‘awarded’ a well deserved life time in jail. Nothing could convince the judge to shorten the sentence or let him get bailed from prison.

Willow had learned nothing. The whole experience had only left her with a dead sister. When she turned 16, she began to date the kindest boy in the world-to her-named Max. Soon, the monster was after her, just as it had been after Mary…  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:28 am
Ouch. Effective ending. Shows how sick and abusive this cycle is.  

Ravitacus

Collote
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:08 am
Ravitacus

Thanks, I think.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:18 am
Collote
Ravitacus

Thanks, I think.

It's a compliment. smile  

Ravitacus

Collote
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:28 pm
Ravitacus
Collote
Ravitacus

Thanks, I think.

It's a compliment. smile

Well, thanks, again. Heh. =]  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:35 am
wow, i'd publish this. seriously this is something that could really waken ppl to not only eating disorders, and abuse but the pressure to be like the models and actresses on tv that are airbrushed anyway.  

AmenthystMoon

Earthest

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:01 pm
I wasn't expecting the ending you gave it. I have to say that I like the story a lot. You should try to get it published or go into more detail with it and enter it in a short story contest. I'd have you win, for sure.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:18 pm
I wasn't expecting these kinds of reactions.

Thanks so much everyone! Really, it means a lot!  

Collote
Crew

Collote
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:11 am
Okay, I edited my story and posted it above the 'original'.

It looks long... but it really isn't too long... in other words, don't be afraid!

Constructive criticism please!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:00 pm
I really like it! It's powerful and gets straight to the point. A couple of comments and suggestions though... Basic grammar/punctuation edits are in red.

Quote:
it doesn’t take a genius to realize that many of the pictures were put into a computer where it was airbrushed and retouched to look perfect.

This sentence is kind of awkward with some of the pronouns. If you don't want to reword it, just change the "it was" to "they were".

Quote:
There isn’t just one perfect female.

Quote:
There are thousands of Barbie dolls that make up their own world.

I don't think you should have a paragraph break between the second and third paragraphs. I don't know if you did that accidentally or on purpose, but it's not really necessary.

Quote:
She too has seen the world more times to count.

The usage of "the world" is kind of broad. Maybe change it to something more specific relating to her situation. Also, the tense in this sentence shouldn't be present since technically, she is dead.

Quote:
How ever, the other teenage Smith, Willow, was oblivious.

"However" shouldn't have a space in it.

Quote:
Mary began to sob again, clenching onto her stomach.

"Onto" is a weird word here. Maybe just say "clenching her stomach"?

Quote:
Yes, but she couldn’t wrap her mind around what was going on to do so.

This sentence needs some reworking.

Quote:
Jerk, you’re the reason my sister's in the bathroom barfing up the BLT I made her!

Quote:
A wide-eyed Mary grabbed the house phone and dialed 911.

I also think that Zach needs some more developement. Why did he start beating Mary? Did something change his mindset that made him become abusive? I think the way he is right now makes his character seem a little unrealistic since there's no reason behind what he does.

Other than that, I think you did a good job on this. You definitely developed it in the second version, and it's something that a lot of people can identify with to some degree. Nice work!  

penandpaper67
Captain

Lyrical Sympathy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:45 am
User Image

I chose the last option, BUT I don't agree that it's junk. I've just had some... issues with EDs before. I'm trying to handle them on my own terms.

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:18 am
Wow. That was amazing, very realistic and eye opening, though I do agree that Zach needs some character development.  

Becoming_Nobody

Priestess of Neptune
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:42 am
Preface: I haven't read any of the other comments yet, so I'll do a quick edit, type my response, then read what others have said, and perhaps add a bit more.

"it doesn’t" -- Please remove contractions from formal essays.

"The once-average-looking female who is now a toothpick-who-manages-to-have-big-assets-and-a-gorgeous-face." -- remove 'who', unless you add another verb somewhere in the sentence after 'who'.

"There isn’t just" -- Contraction.

"There isn’t just one perfect female, There’s thousands of Barbie dolls that make up their own world." -- De-capitalize "There's", and consider changing your comma to a semi-colon. I am slightly confused when you say "make up their own world." - what are you getting at? That they live in their own world, or that they create a world just by existing?

"The pictures surround all beings, ... Everywhere they look," -- This first sentence is a large transition from the preceding sentence. Also, your use of "they" caught me off-guard, which might be a great way to invest more of the reader's interest in this, although I'm not sure if that's what it's doing right now. You might want a second opinion on this. Also, which 'they' are we talking about? Barbies, or all beings?

"Everywhere they look, they are being degraded," -- I like your use of an active voice, but I think that clarity might be added with a more passive voice- I'm not sure if 'they' (all beings) are being degraded as much as they feel degraded in their race to join the herd and be accepted. But that's a topic for another essay, which I would enjoy reading if you were to write it. =)

"Causing them to do whatever it takes to join the unreal world." -- I'm certain you're aware this is a sentence fragment, although I question whether it is morally correct to use improper grammar to emphasize a point. Your use of 'the unreal world' instead of 'this unreal world' is important for how you would like your reader to think of this label- consider this distinction deeply.

"Even if it means harming themselves. " -- Again an incomplete sentence, but I have fewer qualms allowing this to slide, as I feel that this sentence is much more effective in its purpose.

"Out of the 10 million American women who suffer from an eating disorder, Mary Smith is one of them." -- 'Out of the' and 'one of them' in the same sentence is superfluous. I suggest removing 'Out' as well as 'of them' - this ellipsis will strengthen your argument.

"She too has seen the world more times to count." -- I am not sure what you are saying here. I cannot edit until I know the intent behind this.

"The Smith’s parents weren’t oblivious." -- Unless she has been adopted, I feel that it is likely that the parent(s) have the same surname as Mary.

"No, they just expected life-threatening situations to magically go away over night." -- This is fine as-is, but I suggest changing your comma to a dash, for increased emotional impact through a longer pause.

"They expected their teenage daughter to one day wake up, feel beautiful, and stop barfing." -- I'm not sure if 'one day' is grammatically correct. Perhaps it's just the rhythm that causing e to think that, though. Additionally, I might suggest a slightly more technical term than 'barfing' - preferably one with good cacophony. 'Barf' seems to euphonious for this subject.

"How ever, The other teenage Smith, Willow, was oblivious." -- 'However' is a single word.

"She envied Mary for her body and wished people would tell her she looked identical to her sister." -- This isn't essential, but consider, briefly, adding a comma after 'body'.

"some thing wasn’t right," -- 'Something' is one word, and please eliminate the contraction.

"She also wasn’t the brightest one in the family, and was unable to form questions that didn’t sound stupid. " -- Contractions, and I am unsure whether or not you need to restate something that a reader may comprehend themselves, although I agree that a bit of narrative is required after this quote.

"Startled, Mary dropped her fork, her mouth agape. “I have bladder problems,” she said, not quite sure of herself. " -- I was surprised at Mary's actions here- perhaps you might mention something else as well, eg. that nothing had been said previously for the entire meal? Also, 'agape' is a very strong word- are you sure that you agree with this diction?

"The fish went flying, along with small pieces of glass. " -- This is technical, and also something nearly irrelevant, but aren't plates usually made of ceramic or wood? Perhaps that's just where I live, though. Sorry, but that's not something I associate with flatware, so it caught me by surprise.

"On top of Mary’s bulimia problem, she had relationship problems." -- This sounds very colloquial in comparison to the rest of this essay- removing 'on top of' (a colloquialism) will remedy this. Try 'In addition to', or something similar.

"During the weeks the Smith’s parents were gone," -- Move the apostrophe to the end of 'Smiths'' instead of before the 's' - this is a plural possessive.

"He looked too pleased for comfort, staring at his girlfriend’s fragile body as she hurried to get out the door. " -- I do not understand the 'too pleased for comfort' portion of this. Understanding whether the narrator is the sister or an omniscient being will aid comprehension here.

"The couple had decided to do the dinner-and-movie thing. " -- This sounds colloquial as well, and although it might be in context, an injection of formality would not be malefic.

" “You love me right?” " -- Consider adding a comma after 'me' for a change in rhythm and meaning.

"Mary snapped, loudly sobbing as she cradled her face. " -- What does snapping relate to?

"She’d wait until morning" -- Even if you do not remove any of the other contractions, remove this one.

" their bodies moved uncomfortably into each other’s arms." -- I suggest changing your diction of 'moved', particularly if you use 'unwound' in the next sentence (I really like your use of that word).

"she sighed, fiddling with the heart necklace on her neck that was a present from him. " -- Adding the location of the necklace is good, but perhaps it could be done a little more subtly, without the repetition of 'neck'.

"This seemed much like the nice-Mary the family had encountered months ago;" -- 'seemed much like' is incorrect. My mind immediately leaps to adding 'more' between 'much' and 'like', but that is too colloquial. Perhaps you could instead add a noun after 'this', and replace 'much like' with a verb.

"Mary began to sob again, clenching onto her stomach. " -- Remove 'onto'.

"Willow wasn’t sure what to do." -- Keeping this contraction is much easier than changing the sentence to replace the lost rhythm.

"Not long after-maybe a couple of days later-he came for an unexpected visit." -- your subordinate clause is colloquial- removing the qualifier will make it less so, although this sentence would be better off without the clause, or with a more formal one instead.

"Why didn’t I realize some thing was wrong sooner?" -- 'something' is one word.

"The Smith’s parents returned home the next day. They held Mary’s funeral that week. Many of Mary’s loved ones-her family and her many friends-showed up. It was an extremely upsetting event, but Willow was glad to know that Mary was at least going to be remembered and missed. " -- I think that the description of afterward is good, but I think that you've gone too far with telling the reader that it was upsetting. I suggest subjectifying this entire paragraph, to make the following paragraph more potent.

My opinion: The sister's character would be flat if you hadn't included the few narrations about her being simple, although I believe that your current length and choice of events included is good- just a little bit of fleshing-out of the events at the dinner table, and perhaps a few inclusions of the sister's thoughts before the end might help remedy this. There are a few contractions scattered about; do a quick round-up, but check the ones within the narrative before eliminating, in case they are in context. I agree with your foreword about blaming men- By the end of the story, even with the first few paragraphs about bulimia nervosa, I still felt ready to give the male a good belting, instead of the media. Good job on inciting the reader's emotions, though, as previously noted- you might consider just changing your topic, instead of changing the essay, although I wouldn't advocate that. Perhaps leaving the essay alone (independent of the above edits) and just making the title something more elastic might be a good panacea, although I do like your current title. Okay, after three sentences about this issue, I'm not going to contradict myself again, and instead say that this needs a bit more thought than I have currently given it, and potentially another point of view.

Okay, on to the comments of others:

Publishing: Do what you will. I have no strong feelings one way or another (I do not publish, personally, so I'm not the best choice for advice on this front).

Zach: I agree with penandpaper67. Perhaps an easy way to fix the issue she raises might be to have all information about Zach come from a second-hand source, eg. one of the sisters, to allow for controversy, and an out-of-proportion personality (the way he is now).

Penandpaper67: Sorry if I have re-edited your edits; I had not looked at them before doing this. You have also edited a few things I skipped over- thank you.  
Writing: Prose

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games