Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pool just because I feel like it.
  <3
View Results

)(Over.Dose.On.Cyanide)(

Feral Dog

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:48 am
So yeah, I'm in the midst of writing a novel type thingy and I kind of want to get some opinions on at least the first chapter as well as some proof reading if at all possible. I have a nasty habit of missing a key here and there as well as some horrible spelling.

So you know, if you do read it, I would love some feed back and proof reading.
Thanks. <3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Elemental
Chapter One
The Birthday

~~~~~The sun was setting in the small town of Salem, the changing leaves caught the orange rays of the descending sun. The wind made the leaves dance in celebration of the on coming winter. The leaves that had fallen swirled about the grass as if they played a children’s game of tag as the wind accompanied them with its chilling music as it whipped through the branches of the bare trees. Charley sat with his wife Carrie on one of the red painted benches that were spread through the park. The watched on as their daughter, Emma play in the swirling leaves.

~~~~~“Come on Emma, it’s time to go home, it’s starting to get dark out here.” Carrie said as she broke from her husbands arms. She sighed as she climbed to her feet, her caramel orbs looking to her daughter whom played with the swirling leaves. “We still have cake to do at home.” She said as she tried again to get her daughters attention.
~~~~~Charley grinned as he stood, “I’ll get her.” He said lowly in his loves ear. He held a finger up to his lips whispering a shhh to his wife, his bright smile reaching to his blue eyes. He made his way slowly to his daughter who was completely oblivious in her attempt to ignore her parents. He made a growling noise as he put his arms around his daughter, picking her up and swinging her in a circle. A startled shrike came from the girl followed by a giggle. “Didn’t you hear your mother?” He asked the smiled still playing on his lips as he turned Emma to face him in his arms.
~~~~~Emma pouted as she looked to her father with her own blue eyes. “Yeah.” She answered in her small voice. “But I don’t want to go home.”
~~~~~“I know you don’t want to go home, honey, but it’s getting dark.” Carrie said as she walked up behind her husband as she tugged the little red wagon behind herself. She ran a hand through her daughters dark hair. “Besides, don’t you want your cake?” Carrie asked lightly as a smile brushed her lips. “Or we could just give it to--”
~~~~~“No! I want my cake!” Emma protested, shock in her little blue orbs as she looked to her mother.
~~~~~“Then it is settled,” Charley said as he turned and sat Emma in the red wagon, “we’re going home.” He turned giving Carrie a smile, followed by a kiss on the cheek.
~~~~~Emma giggled as she picked up her stuffed rabbit she had gotten earlier from her father. She hugged it to her chest, feeling content, she had a family that loved her more than the world knew, and even though she was young, she could feel it.
~~~~~Charley took Carries hand as he pulled the wagon with his other. “It was sure a beautiful day.” He said as Carrie leaned her head on his shoulder. They made their way on the twisting path that would lead them out of the heart of the park.
~~~~~A voice drifted to them with the wind, reaching only their ears, “Emma,” the voice called in its velvet seduction. “I’ve found you.” The voice said with some humor. “And they thought they could hide you from me.” The voice laughed slightly at this now.
~~~~~“Charley.” Carrie said as she froze, hearing the voice ringing in her ears, even though Charley had already broke from his wife and had their child in his arms. “Charley, how?” She breathed, afraid to move.
~~~~~“I don’t know.” Charley responded lowly as his crystal blue eyes looked around them. His body was tense with adrenalin as he held his daughter.
~~~~~Fear gripped at Emma’s mind as she buried her head into her fathers shoulder. This was a fear she didn’t understand. “Daddy.” She whispered in her small quivering voice. “What’s going on?” She asked. She could feel the tension rippling off of her fathers tense body.
~~~~~“It’s going to be fine honey.” Carrie said as she took her spot beside her daughter and her husband. Her shaking hand found it’s way to Emma’s back as she tried to be reassuring.
~~~~~“Of course it will be okay, as long as you just hand her over to me.” Came the dark velvet voice. A man stepped from the shadows, giving the voice a face. The man was pale, much paler than any human should have been. His eyes were a dark crimson red, which seemed to glow like a set of cat eyes in the fading light. His hair was pitch black and littered with streaks of crimson. A smile touched his thin lips as he gazed at the scene before him. “Ah, the two love birds and their offspring.” He said as he straightened the red tie of his black office type suit.
~~~~~“Leave her be demon.” Carrie said as she turned to face the being. “She is only a child.” She said coldly.
~~~~~“Hah! You should be the one to call someone a demon.” The strange man spat back bitterly. “She is meant to be mine.”
~~~~~“Only when hell freezes over.” Charley said as he looked to the man. His voice was rough with anger as he spoke. “Take her.” He said to Carrie as he forced Emma into her arms. “And run.” He watched the fear play on Carried face as she pressed her child to her. “It will be fine.” He said, trying to reassure her.
~~~~~Carrie couldn’t find her words, so she only nodded. She watched as her husband moved to block the man from her and her daughter. She took a step back before turning and going into a full sprint, leaving Emma to watch over her shoulder.
~~~~~“Oh, Charley, all I want is her, and now you’re just going to get yourself hurt.” The man said as a fake pout took over his face, but it didn’t stay long until the sinister smile touched his lips once more.
~~~~~“We’ll see about that.” Charley said as he took a fighting stance.
~~~~~The man laughed as he eyed his opponent. “You’re human Charley, have you forgotten that? Have you forgotten what your forbidden love had gotten you?” He laughed once more.
~~~~~“It got me a family.” Charley said through his teeth. He lunged at the man, only to be sent flying backwards. He landed on his back with a oomph.
~~~~~“Daddy!” Emma screamed as she squirmed against her mother, trying to break the hold. “Daddy!” She screamed again.
~~~~~The man looked to Emma before waving to her. “Such a sweet little thing.” He then turned to Charley whom was still on his back. “She will be mine Charley, one way or another, I will have her.” He said with a smile upon his lips once more.
~~~~~“Go to hell.” Charley spat back at the man. “You’ll never lay one finger on her.”
~~~~~The man hovered above Charley, baring his sharp pearly white teeth. “And who is to stop me?” He moved quickly, putting his mouth to Charles neck, and a scream shot through the air.

~~~~~I sat up abruptly, still screaming. I held my hands over my mouth for a moment as I tried to remember where I was. I scanned the room, my room. I had been dreaming again, the same dream I’ve been having since I was six. I rubbed my hands over my face, then finally raked my fingers though my oddly cut hair. I jumped as a knock filled the silence.
~~~~~“Emma?” A voice called from the other side of the door. “Emma, are you alright?”
~~~~~“Yeah Mom, I’m fine, it was just a bad dream.” It still surprised me that no matter how many times I woke up screaming that she would still come and check on me, even after all the years of the same thing around the same time.
~~~~~ “Do you want to talk about it?” Carrie asked though the door.
~~~~~ “It was the same as usual, nothing to talk about.” I said with a sigh. I figured that if I didn’t have to talk about it, it would fade faster, but of course it never did.
~~~~~ “Okay then.” Carrie said lowly. I could head her hesitate in the hall before I heard her footsteps leaving my door and going downstairs.
~~~~~ I pushed my covers off of myself before swinging my feet over the cold hard wood floor. I caught a glimpse of myself in the vanity mirror. My hair lay awkwardly around my face, sticking up here and there. The right side was longer then the left and had a single stripe which was pink. I ran another hand through my hair which didn’t help much.
~~~~~ Once I decided to push myself off of my bed I made my way to my closet, untwisting my boy shorts on the way. I stifled a yawn as I opened my double door closet, ignoring the images of myself that looked at me from the mirrors on it. I sighed one more as I pulled out a black Story of the Year tee shirt and a pair of dark blue jeans. I dressed myself slowly, picking out a random bra and just putting my pants over my boy shorts. I looked some what presentable.
~~~~~ I made my way down the stairs, my bare feet making a soft thud as they hit the steps. I could hear my mother in the kitchen making coffee. I walked through the door to find her leaning against the fridge waiting for me. “Morning.” I mumbled, avoiding her eyes.
~~~~~ “Still the same dream?” Carrie asked as she looked at me through her glasses.
~~~~~ I sighed.
~~~~~ “Emma, that was so long ago.” Carrie looked at me gently, her voice matching the expression.
~~~~~ “Well, I can’t help it, mom.” I said with a sigh. “I can’t control what I dream about.” I wasn’t looking at her, I was searching for a new box of coco puffs. I listened as she stepped into the mudroom and came back, shaking a box in her hand. I looked, finding there what I was looking for. “Thanks.” I mumbled again as she sat it down on the counter, turning to the fridge and retrieving the milk for me.
~~~~~ “I know, but it-” My mom started before sighing. “Never mind.” She said as she sat down the milk. “I have to go, I’ll see you tonight.” She said before giving me a kiss on the cheek as I was reaching for a bowl. “Love you.” She added as she made her way to the back door.
~~~~~ “Love you too, have a good day.” I said, watching her go as I fumbled with the new box of cereal. She smiled as she shut the door, leaving me alone in the house. I poured my cereal before shutting off the coffee pot and grabbing the tea pot to boil some water for myself. I took a spoonful of dry cereal in my mouth as I turned the stove on to let the water boil.
~~~~~ I was in the middle of pouring some milk when the doorbell rang. I sighed as I picked up the bowl and spoon and headed towards the door taking a few bits on the way. I reached the door just as the bell rang again. I peeked out one of the side windows before unlocking the door and opening it. “Hey, what’s up?” I asked greeting Kathy and James. I shoveled another bite of cereal into my mouth, waiting for a reply.
~~~~~ “Not much, just thought we could hang for a bit.” James said from behind Kathy whom only smiled her bright movie star like smile. I couldn’t help but notice that James was holding something behind his back. James was tall, maybe six two with dark black hair that usually sat in a mess on his head and around his face. He was built well, not too many muscles, just enough, so he hid the package quite well.
~~~~~ “Happy birthday!” Kathy said as she stepped over the threshold, her arms wide. I didn’t have time to move before I was being hugged. Her curly blonde hair tickled my face slightly as I placed my head on her shoulder. She was a little shorter than me and had a very petite build, one most girls would despise her for.
~~~~~ “Ugh.” I said as I moved my bowl out of the way. “Yeah, yeah. Another year older.” I said as she let me go. I took another spoonful of my food.
~~~~~ “Yes, happy birthday!” James added as he pulled the rather large object from behind his back. It was wrapped in silvery glittering paper, wrapped in a pink bow.
~~~~~ My eyebrows came together as I inspected the package. “Oh no, what did you two do now?” They had been dating for years and were two halves of a whole and had a tendency to do a lot of crazy things.
~~~~~ “Well, you see what happened was.” James said with a bright smile that reached his hazel eyes.
~~~~~ Kathy smacked him in the arm as she laughed. “Well, it wasn’t just us, it was Jasper and Raz too.” She said, naming off the other band members. I just looked at her. “Just open it.” She complained with a pout as James made his way into the living room.
~~~~~ I shut the door, locking it before making my way to the living room. I sat down my bowl on the coffee table, knowing here soon it would be too soggy to eat. “I swear if it’s ridicules you’re taking it back.” I said as I sat down in the leather chair across from them. James handed the gift to my from the couch where he and Kathy watched. I sighed knowing it was no use. I took the present in hand, it was slightly heavy. “Where are Jasper and Raz anyway?” I asked as I pulled the box to my lap. “I mean if this was partly their idea, shouldn’t they be here too.” I popped open both ends then ripped the paper down the center. My jaw dropped as I looked into the box. I popped open the box, fumbling with the end a little. I pulled the object out, letting the packing material fall to the ground. It was a pink Gipson ax guitar with a white skull at the bottom. “Oh my God.” I breathed as I ran a hand over the smooth glossy surface.
~~~~~ “You like it?” Kathy asked her eyes full of her own excitement. “We thought you would. You so need to retire Zeus, he’s seen enough.” She added with a laugh.
~~~~~ “This is too much.” I said, still gazing at the glossy surface. “You don’t have the money for this.” I looked up to Kathy’s face then to James.
~~~~~ “Like she said, it wasn’t just us, it was the whole band, we all chipped in.” James said as he put an arm around Kathy. “Besides we’ve been wanting to do something like this for you for quite some time.” He added with a grin.
~~~~~ “You’re keeping it.” Kathy said sternly. “You are so keeping it, you’ve already fallen in love with it.”
~~~~~ I looked to her then laughed, “Yeah, I guess so.” I looked back to the glossy surface. “I guess I’ll be breaking her in tonight then.” I said looking back to the two. “Ugh, it sucks it’s going to be our last show for a few months.” I sighed leaning the guitar against the wall behind the chair. I turned my head as a whistling noise caught my attention. I stood, picking up the box and the other things that had fallen out. “Thanks guys.” I said with a grin. “You want some tea?” I was heading towards the kitchen as I looked over my shoulder.
~~~~~ “Sure.” They both spoke in unison as they stood, James pulling Kathy to her feet a moment later.
~~~~~ I was at the stove, turning the flame off and removing the kettle from the warm burner to a cold one. I took two more mugs from the cupboard to go with my own. “What kind?” I called over my shoulder.
~~~~~ “Mint.” Kathy said as she entered the room fist, followed closely by James.
~~~~~ “Mint.” James added as he pulled Kathy to him.
~~~~~ “Three mint.” I said as I pulled the box of mint tea from the cupboard that hung over the stove. I pulled out three teabags and placed one inn each cup followed by the hot water. I made a triangle with the cups as I turned and placed them on the island of which James at Kathy had taken a seat on the wooden barstools. “Here.” I said scooting two cups towards the couple. The sugar bowl sat there on the island counter, which Kathy had gotten to first, taking four of the sugar cubes for herself.
~~~~~ “We have a set list for tonight.” James said as he watched Kathy, before taking six for himself.
~~~~~ “Yeah, ether of you have the list?” I asked, awaiting my turn with the sugar. I took three cubes, plopping them into the steaming water. I swooshed the tea bag around for a moment before taking it out and throwing it away. “Or am I just going to be left in the dark to follow someone’s lead again?” I asked with a grin, before taking a sip of the hot tea.
~~~~~ Kathy laughed as she pulled a paper out of her back pocket. “No, we don’t ever want that to happen again.” She said as she unfolded the paper and slid it to me. “Though is was a pretty fun show.” She added.
~~~~~ I pulled the list closer, taking a look at the order of the songs. “Ugh.” I said heavily as I caught a glimpse of one of the titles. “That one? Really? Love on Morphine?” I asked looking from James to Kathy.
~~~~~ “I know,” James said lightly, “Raz isn’t the best song writer, but he really wants to play it.” James shook his head and Kathy did the same. “It’s completely random and has no rhythm.”
~~~~~ “He just needs to stick to writing his rhythm parts, I think writing a whole song is beyond our little drummer boy.” Kathy said with a laugh.
~~~~~ I laughed too, it was all too true. I mean, I loved Raz like a brother, but it was just too far beyond him. “I thought he was going to cry when you told him what you thought Kath.” I said with another laugh. Just then the phone rang, making me sigh. I reached for it and answered. “Speak of the devil.” I said into the receiver as I looked to Kathy.
~~~~~ “Nice to know you like talking about me Em.” Raz said, a smile in his rough stoner like voice. “James and Kathy there?” He asked after a laugh.
~~~~~ “Yeah, let me put you on speaker phone.” I said before taking the phone from my ear without waiting for an answer. I fumbled with the buttons for a moment. “Can you hear me?” I asked as I sat down the phone.
~~~~~ “Yeah, I can hear you just fine, Em.” Raz said.
~~~~~ “Is that Emma?” A male voice asked from the background. “Give me the phone!” Was the last thing I could hear for the moment, other than some fighting and cussing.
~~~~~ “Grow up boys.” Kathy said as she looked to me, a wide smile on her face.
~~~~~ “Oh, hey Kathy, James.” The voice said as the fighting stopped. “Happy birthday Em!” It added after a moment.
~~~~~ “Thanks Jasper.” I said with a grin.
~~~~~ “Give that back!” Raz shouted as the fighting began again. It went quiet for a moment before his voice came again. “Let me put it on speaker phone you idiot.”
~~~~~ I sighed and rolled my eyes. “Brothers.” I said lowly.
~~~~~ “Got it.” Raz said after a moment more. “So, how’d you like the gift?” He asked.
~~~~~ “Yeah, we all picked it out.” Jasper added in.
~~~~~ “I love it guys, and it’s too much.” I said lowly with a laugh.
~~~~~ “But of course she isn’t taking it back.” Kathy said with a smile. “I’ll make sure of it.”
~~~~~ “Good.” The two on the phone said in unison.
~~~~~ “So where are you guys?” Kathy asked as she looked at me.
~~~~~ “Where do you think we are?” Raz asked in a half sarcastic tone.
~~~~~ “No need to be like that Raz, dear, not our fault you two had to baby sit.” Kathy said with a laugh. “We’re all going out to dinner before the show, right?”
~~~~~ “Yes, the final dinner.” James said with a laugh. “Well, not the final, but you all know what I mean.” He grinned as he looked to Kathy.
~~~~~ I rolled my eyes. “And where going?” I asked lingering on the last word.
~~~~~ “Azteka, your favorite, duh.” Kathy said with a laugh.
~~~~~ “Yeah, we’ll be there to pick you up at six, so we’ll have plenty of time to eat and what not.” Jasper said before a slight pause. “Be ready.”
~~~~~ I laughed as I shook my head. “That was one time, and it wasn’t even my fault.” I said in protest as Kathy started to laugh.
~~~~~ “Yeah, well we can’t be late tonight.” Raz said, some humor in his voice. “We’ll talk to you later.”
~~~~~ “See ya.” I said before picking up the phone and turning it off.
~~~~~ Kathy tipped back the cup, emptying the rest of the contents into her mouth. She took a moment to swallow. “We’re going to get going too, we have to run a few errands before tonight’s events.”
~~~~~ James sighed as he pushed his half empty cup across the counter with a frown on his face. “Yes, visiting your mother.” He rolled his eyes and Kathy hit him.
~~~~~ “It’s not that bad.” Kathy said with a whine. “You should be used to her by now.” Kathy looped her arm through his and pulled him towards the hall. “We’re going to be late.”
~~~~~ I laughed as James acted like he wanted to gnaw his arm off. “Well, when you marry someone, you marry their family.” I said, the humor in my voice. Kathy smacked him in the chest causing him to flinch. I laughed again as I walked them to the door. “I’ll see you guys later.”
~~~~~ “See ya!” Kathy said as she pushed James out the door as he grunted in response.
~~~~~ I watched as they climbed into Kathy’s little red bug and drive off before closing the door and locking it. I sighed as I turned, listening to the now empty house. I went back to the kitchen and placed the dirty cups into the dishwasher before taking off to my room, grabbing my new guitar on the way.
~~~~~ I laid the new guitar on my bed as I detached my amp from the old worn black guitar. I sat the amp at the side of my bed before hooking up the new instrument. The speaker popped at I turned it on. The cords made a muffled sound as I climbed to the middle of my bed and sat cross-legged. My hands found their way to the normal position. I strummed the strings and got a horribly out of tune sound to which I physically twitched, with a sigh I began to tune the chords one by one.

~~~~~ Images flashed on the television screen of a vampire walking up some stairs whispering the lyrics from one of Metallica’s songs as I shoved another spoon full of ice cream in my mouth. It was one of my favorite movies, The Forsaken. Placing the half empty bowl on the coffee table in front of me I uncrossed my legs and stretched, yawning slightly.

~~~~~ “Hey Emma!” My mothers voice came from the kitchen as I heard the door slam shut.
~~~~~ “Hey mom.” I called back from the couch. My eyes glanced to the clock on our digital box, it was ten till six. “How was work?” I asked as my mother entered the room. She looked tiered, and worn, as always.
~~~~~ “It was okay.” Carrie said as she moved next to me, plopping down on the couch next to me. “I had a pretty good day, just a lot of work.” Her eyes locked with the screen for a few moments before she turned to look at me. “This movie again? Haven’t you seen it a million times already?”
~~~~~ “So? Besides there’s nothing better on.” I replied with a frown. “Though it really won’t matter here in a few minutes anyway, I’ll be leaving at six.”
~~~~~ “Oh, that’s right, you have a show tonight.” Carrie said as she studied me for a moment, I was still in the Story of the Year shirt and pair of jeans, though this time my makeup was done, thick ashy eyeliner which was smudged into a smoky look over my eyelids. “And on your birthday.” She added.
~~~~~ “Yeah, well, what better way to celebrate?” I asked with a grin. “A bunch of rowdy teens and music.” I had always loved performing, even if the crowd was small and some of them didn’t even like the music. I watched as she rolled her eyes at me as a horn honked outside.
~~~~~ “I guess I’ll see you after the show then?” Carrie asked as I leaned in and gave her a kiss on the cheek.
~~~~~ “Yep.” I said shortly as I hopped up off of the couch. “We’ll go to dinner or something tomorrow, that is if you want to.”
~~~~~ “Sure.” She responded with a smile. She had gotten up too just to walk me to the door. “I have something very special to give you for this birthday.” She said, trying to keep the smile on her face, though something in her eyes worried me. My eyebrows came together in a v shape as I looked to her, questioning it. She shook her head and waved a hand. “Have a good show.” She said before giving me a kiss on the forehead.
~~~~~ Another honk sounded from the street and I rolled my eyes. “So impatient.” I pulled the door open before grabbing the guitar case from where it leaned against the wall. “Love you.” I said as I pushed open the screen door and walked onto the porch before heading down the stairs and out to the green 70’s van that Raz just had to have.
~~~~~ “Love you too.” Carrie called after me.

~~~~~ The five of us had pushed ourselves into one of the round booths at a local diner. It had been my favorite place for years. It was the perfect place for tonight if only for one other reason, this was the first place we ate when we became a band. I was in the middle with Raz and Jasper to one side and Kathy and James to the other.
~~~~~ Jasper looked at me with his black eyes as he spoke. “You know we don’t have to quit performing just because they’re leaving.” He said as he shrugged his narrow shoulders, his thin lips pulling into a half smile.
~~~~~ “Yeah okay, and who’s going to sing?” I asked as I rolled my eyes. “I refuse to, and Raz here its tone deaf, so that counts him out.” I said as I jabbed Ras in the side with an elbow.
~~~~~ “Hey, I can so sing.” Raz protested as Kathy laughed. He folded his arms over his chest, as he narrowed his gray-blue eyes at me. For being brothers, Raz and Jasper looked almost nothing alike. Jasper was thin and tall with almost no muscles where Raz was short and had quite the start for becoming a body builder. Nothing matched ether of the with the exception of the crooked nose they got from their father and the shape of their eyes they got from their mother.
~~~~~ “Yeah, I guess you’re right.” Jasper agreed as he brushed a lock of jet black hair from his eyes.
~~~~~ Kathy reached around my back and gave a pull to Raz’s dark blonde ponytail. “You so know you can’t sing.”
~~~~~ Raz shook his head, pulling his hair free from Kathy’s hand. “And you think you can?” He asked with a grin as he flicked a balled up straw wrapper at her. “I’ve been complaining for years about that one.”
~~~~~ Kathy’s mouth popped open for a moment as she looked at him with her watery blue orbs. “Oh whatever!” She yelped at him as she threw an ice cube at him.
~~~~~ Raz chuckled as he held up his hand, blocking the ice from his face. “Lucky you come with James.”
~~~~~ I rolled my eyes, but couldn’t help stifling a laugh to which Kathy smacked my arm. “Hey now!” I protested hitting her back.
~~~~~ “Hey there guys, what can I do for you tonight?” A voice broke in. We all looked the waiter. He was new, which was kind of odd for this place. His bright green eyes seemed to linger on me, causing me to advert my eyes. Something was odd here, but not in a bad way. He almost seemed familiar for some reason. “Or do you need some more time?” He added as he brushed a lock of hair from his face with the end of his pen.
~~~~~ “Uh, no.” James said with a smile. “We’re just going to take the usual, two bowls of chili, a number eleven, six hard tacos, a number five, and a number eight.” He said naming off everyone’s order.
~~~~~ The waiter grinned and nodded. “Okay, it’ll be right out then.” And with that he was off.
~~~~~ “Well, that was odd.” Kathy said as she looked to me. “You okay?” She put a hand to my arm.
~~~~~ “Yeah, I’m good.” My eyebrows were pushed together as I looked to the table. I just couldn’t shake the feeling that something was off. I sighed and shook my head before looking to her with a grin. “Kinda’ cute eh?” I asked and she laughed.

~~~~~ My eyes were closed as I strummed out the last chord of the song, listening as Kathy sung the last words, then the music ended and the applause began. I opened my eyes and looked across the room that a fuller than normal. I couldn’t make out faces, just the bodies.
~~~~~ “Now as some of you know, today is a special day for one of our band members here.” Kathy said into the mike she held in her hand. The crowed yelled and clapped in response. My mouth popped open as I looked to her, shaking my head. She only grinned and moved on. “Now for those of you who don’t know, it is out guitarists Emma’s eighteenth birthday.” She pointed to me, and I could feel a blush rising to my cheeks.
~~~~~ James began picking out notes on his keyboard and was soon joined in by Jaspers bass and some rhythm from Raz behind the drums. “No.” I yelled at her, finally getting the melody they were playing. It was the happy birthday song. I hid my face in my hands as Kathy began singing as she made her way to me, putting an arm around my shoulder and pulling me center stage. The crowed of course had joined in tunelessly.
~~~~~ Once the song was over the crowed began screaming again and clapping. “I hate you!” I groaned into the mike at Kathy whom only laughed. I laughed too, grinning. We hugged and I sighed. This was why they had put Raz’s song down. That had been the last song.
~~~~~ Kathy said the good bye’s to the crowed and our fans telling them we would be back together before they knew it. People moved out from in front of the stage, some now playing pool, others went to the bar and others left. We began packing up our equipment.
~~~~~ “I so hate you right now.” I moaned as Kathy squatted next to me, helping to back up a few odds and ends.
~~~~~ “Oh you know you like being the center of attention.” Kathy said with her movie star grin.
~~~~~ “Oh yeah.” I responded in my sarcastic tone. I rolled my eyes as I stood, grabbing the case of wires and my cased guitar.
~~~~~ “You have to, you’re in a band.” Kathy retorted as she stood, casting me a superior look, like she had won.
~~~~~ “That doesn’t mean anything.” I said lowly with a frown. “The singer is the one who over shadows everyone anyway.” I tried to put up a fight, but of course there was no arguing with her, she was always right.
~~~~~“Yeah, whatever Em.” Kathy said as she walked off, taking a cymbal stand with her.
~~~~~ I opened my mouth to say something but she had disappeared from the back stage. I sighed heaving my guitar over my shoulder and started after her. I took a look back and could see we were almost done, just a few more drum pieces to load.
~~~~~ The door swung open with a quick shove of my hip, I was then greeted by the rush of cold air into the warm building. It didn’t take long to get to the green 70’s van seeing as it was parked fairly close. I slung the bag of chords into the back the carefully sat my guitar in where it would fit without being damaged. I spun on my heels to head back in, only to be greeted by a man. I jumped about a foot in the air, immediately bringing my hand to my chest where my heart was beating rather fast.
~~~~~ I of course gave him the once over. He was very pale with dark eyes. It was hard to make out the color in the dim light, but they looked almost black. His hair was shaggy and held a purple hue to it where the light caught it. He was dressed in a suit which was odd in this kind of crowd, though he didn’t look any older than twenty five.
~~~~~ He made no move as I assessed this. “Can I help you?” I asked lowly, taking a half step backwards.
~~~~~ He grabbed my wrist that was over my heart and tugged, turning half from me. “You need to come with me quickly.” His voice was gentle but firm and almost velvet like.
~~~~~ “I don’t think so bud.” I said pulling my arm away. My eyes searched the scene, there was no one out here, not where the musicians loaded and unloaded.
~~~~~ He grabbed my arm again, this time more forcefully. “We don’t have time for this.” He said in almost a growl, tugging once again.
~~~~~ My heels dug into the ground as he began dragging me. “Hey! Let me go!” I yelped at the man. “Kathy! Raz!” I yelled towards the door. My eyes burned with tears as this strange man held my arm pulling me to only heavens knew where. “Let go!” I said now clawing at his hand with my free one.
~~~~~ “Quit that!” He growled as his head snapped towards me, fury full in his eyes.
~~~~~ “Hey! Let her go man!” Raz’s voice sounded to the side of us. I heard the shuffle of feet running, though I could barely see anything though the tears. “Let her go damn it!” He shouted again, though this time he could put an action behind it.
~~~~~ I felt a tug on my arm, freeing it from this strange man. Another set of arms and hands were on me. It was Kathy, she had me pulled to her, hugging me. A sob shook though my body.
~~~~~ “You had better be on you way man.” That was Jasper. His voice was calm, a lot calmer than what Raz’s had been.
~~~~~ A growl reached my ears, it was certainly the stranger. “We don’t have time for this.” He said lowly. “I knew this was going to happen.” And with that there was only the sound of quick steps.
~~~~~ “Shh, Emma, it’s okay, he’s gone.” Kathy said soothingly as she rubbed a hand on my back as another sob racked my body.
~~~~~ “Em, are you okay? Did he hurt you?” It was Raz’s panicked voice.
~~~~~ “I-I’m f-fine.” I stammered out as I pulled my head away from Kathy’s shoulder. My body shook again. This was horrible, I now just wanted to go home. “I’m fine.” I repeated through a sniffle.
~~~~~ “Maybe we should just get you home then.” Jasper said lowly. “You’re not in any shape to be hanging around here after that.”
~~~~~ “I agree.” Kathy said as she released me, only taking my hand. I winced as she brushed over something on my arm.
~~~~~ “Ouch.” I said lowly pulling my arm away from her. I held it up to examine it. There on the side were four perfect scratches, not deep enough to bleed but deep enough to make blood pool beneath the skin. It must have been from when Raz pulled my arm from the mans hand.
~~~~~ “Oh, Em, I’m sorry.” Raz said as he looked at my arm. “I didn’t know he was holding on that tight.”
~~~~~ “Its okay, Raz.” I said as I looked at them marks. I looked up to him forcing a weak smile. “Thanks.” I added lowly. “This could have been a lot worse.” I looked back to the marks. And of course they began to burn once I noticed them.
~~~~~ “Lets get you home then.” James said putting a hand on my shoulder.

~~~~~ I sat in the back of the van with one of my legs pulled to the seat and my right arm resting on it. It still burned and tingled down those thin lines.
~~~~~ “You look like a raccoon.” Kathy said from her seat on James’ lap.
~~~~~ “Oh shut up!” I said as I laughed slightly before raising my hands to my face, wiping off the makeup that had smeared below my eyes. I turned, looking out the window as I finished. The smile faded from my face as my house came into view. The heavy wooden door was pushed open and the screen door was strewn on the front lawn.
~~~~~ “What the hell?” Raz asked from the passenger seat in from of me.
~~~~~ The van was still rolling slightly as I ripped open the door. My feet hit the pavement within seconds and I was flying up to the door. “Mom!” I yelped as I stumbled over something in the yard.
~~~~~ “Emma! Wait!” Kathy yelled behind me, but it was barely audible with the blood rushing though my ears.
~~~~~ I stumbled again, this time it was on the stairs. My feet thudded against the wooden boards of the porch only to continue a little softer once I crossed the threshold to the house. All I could think of was my mom in some terrible trouble, and me not there to try and help. Though what could I do? This was incredibly stupid, but I couldn’t stop myself.
~~~~~ “Mom!” I called again, my eyes welling up for the second time tonight. All of the lights were on in the house. “Mom!” I couldn’t stop myself from calling. It was instinctive, like someone yelling in the dark, asking who was there. I stumbled down the hall to the kitchen, checked each room on the way. A lamp had been tossed to the floor in one room, shattered into so many pieces.
~~~~~ I entered the kitchen, still seeing no one, but something on the floor caught my eye. A gleaming little river of a dark thick red tinted liquid. My eyes went wide as a hand shot to my mouth. I could hear voices, but they were all jumbled together and so far away. I took a step forward towards the end of the island that sat in the middle of the kitchen. Something else came into view, a foot. My mothers foot. A sob caught in my throat.
~~~~~ I didn’t have to force myself to take the next few steps, I couldn’t have stopped myself. “Mom.” I said through my hands. My whole body shook as I took in the scene before my eyes. My mother on the ground, her blue orbs blank, never to see again, her mouth slack and hanging slightly open. The awkward way her body lay limp on the floor, the pool of blood that seemed to be generating from somewhere around her head.
~~~~~ My throat felt thick and my mouth went dry, I knew I was going to throw up, but I couldn’t take my eyes away. With a free hand I steadied myself on the island. I could still hear the jumbled voices, voices that seemed to turn to a jumble of fearful yelling.
~~~~~ “Oh Emma.” An emotionless voice sounded behind me. “You can’t be really mourning such an inferior creature.”
~~~~~ I knew this voice, it was the voice from my nightmares. The voice that raised goose bumps. I turned my body to face the man of my nightmares, letting my hand fall to my side. “You…” I said slowly, taking the scene in. In his hand my best friend struggled for her life. “Kathy.” I whispered breathlessly.
~~~~~ The man had not changed one bit from what I remembered from my dreams, not even ageing. His red eyes burned like fire as he looked at me, that thin devious smile on his face. He turned and looked to Kathy whom clawed at his hand that was wrapped around her neck. “Yes, me.” He said in that seductive velvet like voice. “I’ve come back for you love.” He looked back at me, a grin on his face. “It’s been quite the long wait for someone so… Weak.”
~~~~~ “Let her go!” I said softly with a crack in my voice. The tears were back and overflowing as I watched this man. The man that had killed my father and mother, the man that now had my best friend in his hands.
~~~~~ “Oh this?” He said raising her off of the floor like a rag doll. She clawed more desperately now, kicking at the same time. “She’s a worthless human, Emma.” He said with a sigh. “So much like roaches.” He tilted his head as he studied the wiggling human.
~~~~~ “Let her go!” My voice was a little louder and it came a second too late. A sickening crack reached my ears. I watched as Kathy feel limp in the mans hand. My lungs stopped working as I just looked at her, hanging there.
~~~~~ The man dropped her to the ground and she crumpled like a doll. His smile widened as he took in my expression. “Whoops.” He said with a laugh. “They’re also so fragile.”
~~~~~ “No.” I took a step back, only to find myself against the fridge.
~~~~~ The man stalked forward slowly as he straightened his tie. Closer and closer he got. So close I could feel his cool breath on my face. His sent was so overwhelming. He placed a hand on ether shoulder and smiled. “You will make a good queen, or trophy, it’s up to you.” He said with a growl that turned into a purr.
~~~~~ It was an immediate reaction to being so close to this man, I couldn’t stop myself. My foot rose from the floor swiftly, delivering my knee to his groin. He sucked in a deep breath, removing one of his hands. “b***h!” He growled as he shoved me backwards. My head cracked against the fridge. My vision blurred and colors slurred together.
~~~~~ The man released me and I crumpled to the ground, my eyes not focusing right. I could see two of him, then he went flying. A loud thud entered my ears as everything began to grow fuzzy at the edge’s. The last thing I could see was a man in a hood, hovering over me before everything went black.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:24 pm
I like how you blend the scene from a calm state to an intense one.
Keep at it; there are a bit of grammar and punctuation and spelling errors, but we all do it so you just need to look it over slowly and edit. keep up the good work! n_n
maybe we can chat some time, discuss ideas or rant or fraternize, whatever cool

lakita_phoenix

)(Over.Dose.On.Cyanide)(

Feral Dog

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:58 pm
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it.
And yeah, every time I read though it I catch something that's wrong... I actually just caught the color of the mothers eyes in the beginning were brown then in the end they were blue.
So I really gotta' go change that.
xD
And this is like the 349058345760th time I've tried typing up chapter one.

And yeah, that sounds like fun, I always like talking with new people.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:05 am
odd how our story titles are the same somewhat...good work on your piece.  

Suma-Kaur

dragongirl187

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:44 pm
Mainly you need to work on grammar and rewording your sentences, but everything flows alright. There's plenty of room for improvement but it's not bad overall.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:43 am
for some reason this almost reminds me of twilight razz . its really good! i like it!  

Alisa Chatoyant

Blessed Raider

9,050 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Collote
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:12 am
I agree with dragongirl187.

Can't wait to see what you do with the rest of this novel! [:  
Writing: Prose