Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Sara Palin's Church May Have Shaped Controversial Worldview Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

VOTE!!!
  Barack Obama - Democrat
  John McCain - Republican
  Ralph Nader - Independent
  Cynthia Ann McKinney - Green Party
  Robert L. 'Bob' Barr - Libertarian
  Charles Baldwin - Constitution
  Other
View Results

Edi Gammon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:16 am
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/02/palins-church-may-have-sh_n_123205.html

If these frikkin religious zealots get to run the country for another 4 years... I swear...
I'm going to really think about leaving for good. wink  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:26 am
*groans aloud* gonk I really hope those two don't get elected.  

PathlessPlot

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:55 pm
Quote:
In turn, her remarks raise important questions: mainly, what is Palin's faith and how exactly has it influenced her policies?

Don't pass judgement yet: There is still more to know.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:52 pm
I'm actually a little too busy with trying to get back into the groove of school to really care about politics/religion right now (sorry everyone). However, I really hope that Obama wins the election....although, I'd rather see a Libertarian take office.

Someday we will take office...someday...  

Arios V

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:17 pm
User Image

I truly fear for myself and the rest of the country if McCain and Palin are elected.

User Image

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:23 pm
KuroFur

You did watch the video right?

Should I point out just a taste of the hypocrisy that is already becoming evident?

We all know her 17 year old daughter is having a baby. It's a given that her daughter will be having this baby, coming from a conservative family... Yet she says that it's her daughters 'chioce' to have this baby and take care of it.... When it's also her Pro Life stance that will influence any policy on abortion to absolutely take away this 'choice' from American women.
If I could say one thing to her it would be
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's rainin'  

Edi Gammon

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:37 pm
User Image

I bet it was her daughter's "choice" to get married at age seventeen as well.

Not only do we run the risk with her of losing our "right to choose," we also run the risk of losing sex ed programs. She is an outspoken opponent of sex ed, and seeing as her daughter is pregnant, we can clearly see that "abstinence only" programs don't work.

Here is a LiveJournal entry of mine containing some videos and some links to statements Palin's church has made.

And here is another LiveJournal entry linking to an article about Palin's dominionist connections and summarizing one of the dominionist groups.

Believe me; this woman is scary.

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:56 pm
Edi Gammon
KuroFur

Should I point out just a taste of the hypocrisy that is already becoming evident?

We all know her 17 year old daughter is having a baby. It's a given that her daughter will be having this baby, coming from a conservative family... Yet she says that it's her daughters 'chioce' to have this baby and take care of it.... When it's also her Pro Life stance that will influence any policy on abortion to absolutely take away this 'choice' from American women.

How does her daughter having a baby illustrate hipocrisy?
In any case, you have no idea wheter or not the daughter was "forced" into it, or if she truly wants to keep her bably/ marry the father of her own choice. If one really doesn't know, how can you make such a judgement? You act as though Palin forced her daughter to keep the child, but you have no proof. (I do admit this could have happened; however, you have not substaniated the claim that it has.)

What's to worry about with Palin when the vice president really has very few powers?
" shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be evenly divided"

"The vice president's other constitutionally mandated duty was to receive from the states the tally of electoral ballots cast for president and vice president and to open the certificates "in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives,"

Constitutionally, I do believe those are their only powers.
Unless McCain dies abpruptly (And yes, he is 72. His state of health I do not know at this time.) that's all Palin does.

EDIt
Forgot my source.

http://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/common/briefing/Vice_President.htm  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:31 pm
KuroFur
Edi Gammon
KuroFur

In any case, you have no idea wheter or not the daughter was "forced" into it, or if she truly wants to keep her bably/ marry the father of her own choice. If one really doesn't know, how can you make such a judgement? You act as though Palin forced her daughter to keep the child, but you have no proof. (I do admit this could have happened; however, you have not substaniated the claim that it has.)

What's to worry about with Palin when the vice president really has very few powers?
" shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be evenly divided"

"The vice president's other constitutionally mandated duty was to receive from the states the tally of electoral ballots cast for president and vice president and to open the certificates "in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives,"

Unless McCain dies abpruptly (And yes, he is 72. His state of health I do not know at this time.) that's all Palin does.

EDIt
Forgot my source.

User Image

McCain's age alone is a good enough reason to be extremely wary of her. He is already 72, and has had malignant melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer, removed from his face. He would be the oldest person ever to be elected President. Death could be a very real possibility for him in the next four years. Not to mention that many dominionist groups are fervently praying for him to win the election and then die so that Palin can take over; given that they want this to occur so badly I would not be surprised if there were at least one nutjob out there that would seek to assassinate McCain to allow Palin to take the Presidency.

User Image

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:26 pm
Edi Gammon
KuroFur

Well at least this proves the point that the only thing politicians excel at being hypocrites. Still, I wonder what would Palin say if her daughter had an abortion. Actually, I think the bigger question is why Palin is ok with letting her daughter get pregnant at 17.  

Arios V

Edi Gammon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:25 pm
KuroFur

You missed the point completely. It is not her daughter having the baby that illustrates hypocrisy, it is Palin's comment that it was her daughters "CHOICE" to have the baby. And this is not saying that she forced her daughter to have the baby, I have no way of knowing that.

She is praising her daughter for making a "CHOICE" to have this baby, even though it was concieved out of wedlock, and at such a young age. But we know that everything that Palin will do everything in her power to DENY this CHOICE to women in the same situation as her daughter once she is in office.

KuroFur

I wonder what d**k Cheyney did these last 8 years, maybe twiddle his thumbs? I wonder... Did he have something to do with convincing the American people that we need to attack Iraq? Would people have listened if he wasn't Vice President? I wonder if the Vice President and the President ever get together to discuss what decisions the President should make?..... Come on KuroFur... You know better than that.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:16 am
Daffodil the Destroyer
KuroFur
Edi Gammon
KuroFur

EDIt
Forgot my source.

User Image

McCain's age alone is a good enough reason to be extremely wary of her. He is already 72, and has had malignant melanoma, the most dangerous form of skin cancer, removed from his face. He would be the oldest person ever to be elected President. Death could be a very real possibility for him in the next four years. Not to mention that many dominionist groups are fervently praying for him to win the election and then die so that Palin can take over; given that they want this to occur so badly I would not be surprised if there were at least one nutjob out there that would seek to assassinate McCain to allow Palin to take the Presidency.

User Image

Really? How do you know of these dominionists? SEe them with your own eyes or do you have proof of this theory? (What is a dominionist, btw?)
It is true that McCain is pretty old.
However, what do we know about his lifestyle, such as eating habits, excercise, etc? These factors contribute to longevity.
McCain could live to be 100, for all we know.
Or he could die tommorow.

We can't predict the future.  

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

fhbnfghnbfgbsnbg

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:21 am
Edi Gammon
KuroFur

You missed the point completely. It is not her daughter having the baby that illustrates hypocrisy, it is Palin's comment that it was her daughters "CHOICE" to have the baby. And this is not saying that she forced her daughter to have the baby, I have no way of knowing that.

She is praising her daughter for making a "CHOICE" to have this baby, even though it was concieved out of wedlock, and at such a young age. But we know that everything that Palin will do everything in her power to DENY this CHOICE to women in the same situation as her daughter once she is in office.

KuroFur

I wonder what d**k Cheyney did these last 8 years, maybe twiddle his thumbs? I wonder... Did he have something to do with convincing the American people that we need to attack Iraq? Would people have listened if he wasn't Vice President? I wonder if the Vice President and the President ever get together to discuss what decisions the President should make?..... Come on KuroFur... You know better than that.

STill not getting how that's hipocrasy. It WAS her daughters choice to have the baby (probably.). Jow does Palin commending that reflect hipocrasy? I'm assuming she's pro-life, but we have no way of knowing if her daughter is or not.

It is the president's descision to appoint these powers (yes, for some reason I've heard Bush gave cheney the power the run the war department?). Do you really think McCain would give that to such an inexpierenced person? Certainly, the VP can advise the president, but they really have no powers.

Just random, why do you think MCCAin picked her?
IMO it was to appeal to women.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:15 pm
KuroFur

STill not getting how that's hipocrasy. It WAS her daughters choice to have the baby (probably.). Jow does Palin commending that reflect hipocrasy? I'm assuming she's pro-life, but we have no way of knowing if her daughter is or not.

It is the president's descision to appoint these powers (yes, for some reason I've heard Bush gave cheney the power the run the war department?). Do you really think McCain would give that to such an inexpierenced person? Certainly, the VP can advise the president, but they really have no powers.

Just random, why do you think MCCAin picked her?
IMO it was to appeal to women.

Would Palin have commended her daughter and defended her if she had chosen to have an abortion? No. Because Palin is Pro-Life. Not pro choice. Still don't get it eh? confused

I imagine McCain picked Palin because he thinks it will win the election for him. I don't think he cares what she does once she's VP, as long as she can stand around and look good and get certain segments of the public emotionally charged up about things. If there's some role she's too inexperienced to fill, he can always appoint someone from the old boy's club to fill in for her.... Which the old boy's club is probably counting on him to do anyhow.  

Edi Gammon

Edi Gammon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:48 pm
KuroFur

Really? How do you know of these dominionists? SEe them with your own eyes or do you have proof of this theory? (What is a dominionist, btw?)
It is true that McCain is pretty old.
However, what do we know about his lifestyle, such as eating habits, excercise, etc? These factors contribute to longevity.
McCain could live to be 100, for all we know.
Or he could die tommorow.

We can't predict the future.

Google. It's your friend.

From wikipedia:
[Dominionism describes, in several distinct ways, a tendency among some conservative politically-active Christians, especially in the United States of America, to seek influence or control over secular civil government through political action — aiming either at a nation governed by Christians, or a nation governed by a conservative Christian understanding of biblical law.]

Did you take a look at the video Daffodil has on her profile?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VtF7Ypr1hY

We can't predict the future, but we can make judgments of the probability of certain events taking place by noting past outcomes and factors that led to those outcomes.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff