Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
Poetry-c**-Philosophy. And a bit of Quantum Physics too.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:30 pm
Yup. In letter format, oddly enough. ><

~

Mirror, Mirror.

How do you know me so well? Is your magic a mere trick of the light? Or do you remember me as intimately as my maker--do you see every shadow, every genetic quirk, and reflect it back to me?

Are you consistent, God of Deception? Or do you hold fondness--do you hold spite? Are you aware of what you do? Do you or the dryads change my image in the night--blow soft breezes across your surface, like ripples in water, morphing me, making me a stranger?

Is what I see real? Is it what others see? Do I project it--or do you?

What is “real” anyway?

Is it the deception everyone accepts, or the truth beneath the lies? Is it anything at all? Is what I see before me, reflected from your surface, even there--is everything before my own eyes a lie? Were I blind, what would be real then? Only darkness.

Am I real? Do I exist? Or do I only think I do? What is thought? Is thought real?

When I look at you, at me through you, I see someone very different from yesterday. The features are the same--thin nose, broad mouth, round eyes. Perhaps. Can one see one’s own eyes? Is there something missing from my own view, something others can see that I cannot?

Who’s to say I changed, Mirror? Did you change me, or did I change you?

Who am I? Do you know?

How I wish that you were the magic mirror of fairy tales. Mirror, mirror, on the wall…who am I? What’s real? Who changed--you or me? And tell me: if I shattered every mirror in the world, rippled every pond, cracked every glass, would I still be myself again?  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:03 pm
Should definitely turn this back into a poem. heart

KirbyVictorious
I see someone very different from yesterday.

That didn't quite fit in the paragraph.  

Chrysanthemum Moon

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:34 pm
The ending line is worded awkwardly.

Quote:
would I still be myself again?

The "again" throws everything off, because you are never initially something in the beginning. Maybe.. something along the lines of "would I still be me?"

But myself and again.. just not sitting right with me.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 5:55 pm
As Tak pointed out, the last sentence is ambiguous - does the speaker mean they are what they are only because they can see what they are in their reflection? Or does the speaker mean that they are not really themselves because all that can be seen is their superficial and constantly changing appearance? Or something else entirely? xd But maybe that's as you intended.

Anyway, I really liked it. I think this person should get together with Schrodinger's Cat at a bar so's they can b***h together about the unfairness of the universe.

d e s d e m o n o
Crew

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:34 pm
Neat. >< What's ....someone's Cat?

I'll look into that. Probably will change it if I'm not too lazy >< thanks guys.

and Chryssy, you are probably right. sweatdrop But thanks >< heart  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:41 pm
=] Schrodinger's Cat was a famous theoretical physics experiment, which was meant to show how ridiculous quantum was but which backfired and is now used on a regular basis to demonstrate the concept. It goes something like this: put a cat in a box with a tube of poison, arranged so that the poison will be released when a certain amount of uranium decays. (Or the uranium itself poisons the cat, depends on the version). Because of half life and quantum and wossname's Uncertainty Principle, it's impossible to tell whether the uranium decays or not without opening the box and taking a look to see whether the cat's dead or not. The idea is that opening the box doesn't just reveal the fact of the cat's death, but that opening the box decided the matter; before you look, the cat is both dead and alive simultaneously, within the confines of the box. But once you open it, the two parallel universes collapse in on each other so there's only one answer, a totally random one, to be found.

...kinda like looking in mirrors and seeing yourself made because of that look. Only, only not. xd Sorry if you've already heard of all that already, I had the sudden urge to textdump my nerdiness all over you.

d e s d e m o n o
Crew

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:44 pm
No, it was really very interesting. but poor kitty. But yes, I see what you mean ><  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:49 pm
I don't understand how "still" and "again" go together. Again implies that you stopped being yourself, but still implies that you never stopped being yourself.  

Wanderer Rae

Voxxx

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:30 pm
"Again" didn't work. But I'm sure you're tired of hearing that. I've always wondered if everyone in the world sees what I do when I look in the mirror--is that what I really look like? This piece is a piece to make you think. Its style was a little different, and the entire thing SOUNDED scientific, if you get what I'm saying. It reminded me of that old member, NovaKing.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:51 am
He's still around, just at college. And bleh. ******** again and still. Hurricane Ike is ravaging Texas and I'm worried about adverbs. Who worries about adverbs? What do they matter anyway?

Thanks for the compliments  

KirbyVictorious

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces