Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
My religious "best friend"

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Evidence for God's existence:
  A banana is made perfectly so it fits into the human hand
  Most people believe in God
  Churches do good community work
  Humans are so much smarter than other animals
  Holy books
  Prayers work sometimes
  The Universe's complexity
  Diversity amongst all living things
  God cannot be proven to NOT exist
View Results

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:57 pm
I actually consider my girlfriend my best friend, but he's my best dude friend, I suppose. Well, I know you guys don't wanna hear my life story
WARNING: LOTS OF TEXT. IF YOU DONT WANNA READ, I HAVE A SUMMED UP VERSION AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LONG VERSION.
so...
Ok.

Me and him were waiting in line for lunch and he wasn't in the greatest mood, but still... well, he talked about homosexuality. There was this teacher in US History and she was talking about homosexuality and she also talked about how the US is basically based on a Christian foundation, but also that it's secular (or supposed to be). She also talked about students and how everyone should feel accepted, etc. and that even homosexuals should feel comfortable in school and that it should be alright for them, etc.
He goes "She shouldn't be talking about that crap. She shouldn't make people think it's okay to be gay."
I go "Well... if you don't agree with her then you're free to say so. I mean I don't see anything wrong with it really."
he goes "well of course not. It's not like you have anywhere to get your morals fro- Never mind ugh" with this annoyed look on his face.
I just go "What did you say? Are you telling me that the only reason you don't murder someone is because the Bible tells you not to?"
He just goes "what?"
I say "People are 'moral' NOT because a stupid old book tells them everything they shouldn't do you know... I could go on and even incorporate evolution but I think I'll stop here"
He goes "Yeah. That's the thing... God implants morals in you whether you like it or not."
THEN I BASICALLY JUST GO "WTF?!"
=/
Oh then he talks about how God created the Universe. I go "If you can say that God always existed then it should be fair for me to say that the universe always existed"
he then goes "No, because God created the universe"
then i go "Uhh... God always existed, you say? The universe could've always existed"
Then he says the same thing again and has the nerve to go "Dude... you're just going in circles now" as if he PWNED me or something =/
I got my lunch finally and just looked at him and said "You should really think more about what you're saying and the points you make... Oh.. and... Jesus sucks Darwin's d**k"
because I was annoyed. Then I happily went to eat food with my friends.

TL;DR?
SUMMED UP VERSION:
He thinks homosexuality is wrong. I don't really have a problem with it. We argue and he says I have no morals. He then says I DO have morals because God implants morals in EVERYONE (including devil-worshipping atheists). We talk about God and the universe. He calls me out saying I went "in circles" so he basically 'pwnz' me. I exclaim that Jesus can suck Darwin's d**k. I eat lunch.
Fin.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:02 pm
User Image

I used to say the same idiotic sorts of things that he was spewing. It was a dark, dark period in history. XD

All you can do is hope that he grows up, learns to think outside the box his pastor put him in, and realizes that he has no case to make by arguing that way. Morality itself is an evolutionary adaptation; it can be observed in many non-human animal societies. Don't Christians always claim that God made humans capable of being moral but not the animals because we're supposed to be in his image or something?

You know, for that matter, homosexuality has been proposed as a possible evolutionary device as well - looking at it in the context of the environment humans adapted to live in, people who are attracted to the same sex and therefore do not procreate are more likely to stay and help out with their brothers/sisters and nieces/nephews and other relatives. Well, apparently these people need to pick up an evolutionary psychology book or two.

User Image

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:27 am
Daffodil the Destroyer
User Image

I used to say the same idiotic sorts of things that he was spewing. It was a dark, dark period in history. XD

All you can do is hope that he grows up, learns to think outside the box his pastor put him in, and realizes that he has no case to make by arguing that way. Morality itself is an evolutionary adaptation; it can be observed in many non-human animal societies. Don't Christians always claim that God made humans capable of being moral but not the animals because we're supposed to be in his image or something?

You know, for that matter, homosexuality has been proposed as a possible evolutionary device as well - looking at it in the context of the environment humans adapted to live in, people who are attracted to the same sex and therefore do not procreate are more likely to stay and help out with their brothers/sisters and nieces/nephews and other relatives. Well, apparently these people need to pick up an evolutionary psychology book or two.

User Image

Yeah... I totally agree with everything you said o.o
Well, I never thought about the homosexuality thing and benefits like helping out family... It sounds reasonable o.O

Oh and anyone else that is going to read... Sorry about my immaturity at the end. I couldn't help it. I get annoyed easily sometimes.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:46 pm
I agree, morals come from treating others decently and not just mindless obedience. But... did you have to throw in the whole fellatio thing? That just made you look bad.

D i v i n i t y

He goes "Yeah. That's the thing... God implants morals in you whether you like it or not."
THEN I BASICALLY JUST GO "WTF?!"
=/

Same here, dude.

Doesn't that mean that free will doesn't exist, and that God can and does use his power to make people believe? It doesn't make sense. I mean, the "You just learned morality because you were raised in a predominantly Christian environment" at least is semi-logical...

Also:
The Poll
..A banana is made perfectly so it fits into the human hand...

I keep hearing this.... has anyone actually used it? If so, there are a LOT of places a banana can fit perfectly, but that doesn't mean that's what bananas were "designed" or "meant" to do.  

PhaedraMcSpiffy

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:30 pm
Lol I know...
Yeeeah, I know that made me look bad but I'm immature and I got angry at him.
Umm yeah the banana argument is such a lame argument Lol. I heard it in church before like 3 or 4 years ago.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:21 pm
PhaedraMcSpiffy
there are a LOT of places a banana can fit perfectly

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Edi Gammon

Serendipity Splendor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:05 pm

I have a few friends who are religious, and I'm just so glad that none of them are that closed minded... honestly if any of them said something like that to me, we would NOT be no speaking terms. I highly doubt we would remain friends.

Good luck with your friend-- But people like that don't change easily. He's probably had these beliefs about homosexuality engraved in him from an early age.... just hope he comes to his senses, if not, I don't know what you can do other than:
"""Oh.. and... Jesus sucks Darwin's d**k"""
Hahahaha quite immature but given his attitude, completely understandable.

Telling him to THINK about what he was saying is really the best... maybe your friend will start THINKING one day.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:08 pm
Edi Gammon
PhaedraMcSpiffy

blaugh hahahaha true, true... honestly thought the bannana thing was a joke, somebody actually heard it in a church?!?!  

Serendipity Splendor

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:26 pm
Serendipity Splendorific
Edi Gammon
PhaedraMcSpiffy

blaugh hahahaha true, true... honestly thought the bannana thing was a joke, somebody actually heard it in a church?!?!
User Image

Yes, unfortunately they are serious. Look for yourself:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGMuIyBK5P4

User Image  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out