Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
pronounciation of gaia?? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

so how do you pronounce it?
  [jee - a]
  [guy - a]
  [gay - a]
  none of the above
  your just slow arent you -.-
  wrong place for this...
View Results

pheonix20222

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:09 am
How do you pronounce it?

It occured to me after mom was wondering what I was doing...

Ive been saying gaia like [jee - a]
But how is it really?

She sais [guy - a]
and then theres [gay - a]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 8:03 am
It's proper pronumciation is GUY-A! Although I have heard it pronounced Guy-Ya...... giving the i double duty.  

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

ClosingMyAcct

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:48 am
I'd have to agree with Mamarita, I've always pronounced it Guy-A.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 9:57 am
Gy-a is how I normally say it... (hard G)  

XenjinHattori

4,650 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Citizen 200
  • Full closet 200

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:19 am
Well... we classicists are a little divided on that. Going by the actual Greek, I'd say Guy-a. I've heard a couple professors say jee-a, however.

For those of you who are wondering, the Greek is Γαîα. That's gamma, alpha-iota diphthong, alpha. If you're interested, here is a fairly decent guide at Greek pronunciation.

That's actually more than you probably wanted to know.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:50 pm
Madralyn
I'd have to agree with Mamarita, I've always pronounced it Guy-A.

Me too ^_^ I say it like this cause it's similar to the Greek God (I believe)

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

churrlo

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:48 am
Like they do in final Fantasy ...

Like the Goddess.

Guy-a

PL  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:49 pm

Use google or ask and search 'gaia' no quotes. I'm fairly certain it is suppost to be 'gay-a' but I pronounce it 'guy-a' because it feels more natural on my tongue.

~Metalic_Noodles

Metalic_Noodles

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:16 pm
Gay-a lacks the diphthong though. Those are important after all. They're the only vowels that I actually liked because you can tell them apart.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:33 pm
Im gonna keep on saying it like jee-ya anyways... it sounds better, IMO.
(our lil' secret)

pheonix20222

Chellies

Original Entrepreneur

7,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:02 pm
My friends and I all used to say Jee-a. Then I found out another one of my classmates played on here, and she called it Guy-a. Another classmate I found called it Guy-a aswell. And so did one of my friend's moms.
And in all Youtube videos I've seen of Gaia [which is, like, 2, but still xD] the people pronounced it 'Guy-a', so I think that's how it's supposed to be pronounced.

In my head I still say Jee-a, but I've gotten into the habit of saying 'Guy-a' when I say it outloud. ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:35 pm
gaia, as it is spelled here, is pronounced guy-ah[ thanks mods!]
also, a fun fact for ya'll, the hippies I used to travel with [actual hippies from the late sixties] always said that gaia meant mother earth, or "mother of all." I can't remember which heritage it came from, but I DO know some native americans also used to call thier land gaia.
man the things we talked about around the campfires. XD  

XxDEMINIONxX

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:06 pm
forever_87
I can't remember which heritage it came from, but I DO know some native americans also used to call thier land gaia.

It's Greek, actually. She's the primal Greek goddess personifying the earth. She was there before Zeus and the Olympic gods.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:47 am
MemoryDragon
forever_87
I can't remember which heritage it came from, but I DO know some native americans also used to call thier land gaia.

It's Greek, actually. She's the primal Greek goddess personifying the earth. She was there before Zeus and the Olympic gods.

Thanks Memory, I couldn't remember if she was Greek or Roman (We learn both at the same time over here ... hence the confusion. XD)  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:49 am
Well, she's also a Roman goddess, but they changed her name like they did with all the other gods and goddess. She's Terra in Latin. The Romans basically just stole the greek gods (and any other god who happened to come up) and gave them new names. In fact, they would have gladly welcomed the christian god into their pantheon, if it hadn't been for that "One God" only thing. xd They were rather religiously tolerant. It was the Christians that weren't.

*cough* Sorry... Again, more than you probably wanted to know. sweatdrop  
Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces