Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

nechuroo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:20 pm
Scroll down for lots of performances!

Quick Background:
The accordion was patented on the 23rd of May, 1829. It became popular as a "worker's instrument" in folk music until its decline in the 1950's and 60's as mainstream music gained way. The young instrument had technical limitations and the most important of these was overcome with the invention of free bass systems that play single notes on each button rather than the standard bass layout, which plays 3-note chords on almost every button. This happened after its decline. It allows for melody on the bass side, and makes it more eligible for classical music. Unfortunately most people still play the old ones. The new ones may be considered the Steinways of accordions, and for a decent one they start at $10,000.

A slowly growing movement of interest in classical played and/or composed for the accordion exists, mainly in East Europe and Russia. The powerhouses seem to be Russia, the Bosnia/Herzegovina area, Poland and Germany. Contemporary and avant garde composers make works for this instrument, often as a result of being acquainted with individual virtuoso accordionists. Piano, cembalo and organ works can be played without transcription. The Russians in particular like the accordion: they've invented their own version called the "Bayan", which has a few design and sound improvements.

YouTube Performances
Antonio Vivaldi (Baroque)
Op. 3 - L'estro Armonico, No. 11
Op. 8 - The Four Seasons: "L'estate" (Summer) - 3. Allegro
Op. 8 - The Four Seasons: "L'inverno" (Winter) - 1. Allegro non molto

Domenico Scarlatti (Baroque)
K. 13 - Sonata in G Major
K. 39 - Sonata in A Major
K. 98 - Sonata in E minor
K. 113 - Sonata in A Major
K. 141 - Sonata in d minor
K. 159 - Sonata in C Major
K. 162 - Sonata in E Major
K. 336 - Sonata in D Major
K. 375 - Sonata in G Major

Franz Schubert
D. 780 - Six Moments Musicaux - 3. Allegretto moderato in F minor
D. 821 - Arpeggione Sonata in A minor on Clarinet and Accordion
D. 857 - "Leise flehen, meine Lieder"
Schubert-Liszt Valtz-Caprice

Johann Sebastian Bach (Baroque)
BWV 147 - Jesu, Joy of Man's Desire
BWV 565 - 1. Toccata in d minor
BWV 565 - 2. Fugue in d minor
BWV 659 - Nun Komm, der Heiden Heiland
BWV 772 - Invention in C Major
BWV 782 - Invention in g minor
BWV 784 - Invention in a minor
BWV 848 - Prelude & Fugue in C# Major
BWV 876 - Prelude & Fugue in E# Major
BWV 883 - Prelude & Fugue in F# minor
BWV 1067 - 7. Badinerie
BWV 1080 - Contrapunctus No. 1

Viatcheslav Semionov (Contemporary/Avant Garde)
Brahmsiana
Bulgarian Suite, 2nd movement
Bulgarian Suite, 3rd movement
Caprice No. 1
Caprice No. 2 ("S.O.S.")
Don's Rhapsody
Fantasia on the theme of the song "Guelder Rose" by Jan Frenkel (There's a short break at 00:58)
Sonata No.1 for Accordion (Part 1)
Sonata No. 1 for Accordion (Part 2)

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Classical)
K. 488 - Piano Concerto No. 23 in A Major - 2. Adagio
K. 525 - Serenade no. 13 ("Eine Kleine Nachtmusik") - 1. Allegro
K. 626 - Sequenz - 7. Lacrimosa

Alright, I'm getting tired but can find more later if people like what's already up...
Seems there's a preference among performers to play Baroque works biggrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aipSwSjq0fk (a Chopin waltz, don't know the opus number or title)

Enjoy xp

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:06 pm
I really like the Franz Schubert - Musical moment 6 in F minor  

I Cosmo I

liebestraume

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:35 am
There's a recording of Bach's Toccata *and* accompanying fugue in d minor on youtube, that I didn't see on your list. As well as Rimsky Korsakov's Flight of the Bumblebee. Really impressive virtuosos on that instrument!  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:06 pm
liebestraume
There's a recording of Bach's Toccata *and* accompanying fugue in d minor on youtube, that I didn't see on your list. As well as Rimsky Korsakov's Flight of the Bumblebee. Really impressive virtuosos on that instrument!

The one by AccCam? If yes, that one is very good, too. I ended up liking this one better although it's in two parts. The left hand fingerwork when there are three voices is absolutely sublime.

The "Flight of the Bumblebee" performance is actually by the father of the guy playing the Toccata & Fugue I included in the list biggrin  

nechuroo

liebestraume

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:58 pm
I take it that you're an accordionist, mmm...?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:17 am
Yeah blaugh I got into it from Yann Tiersen and folk music, but then I found this incredible thing. So now that's my goal. I have a YouTube user dedicated for favorits of performance. It can be quite beautiful but people aren't used to the instrument. I feel like it has a lot of potential because this instrument is extremely versatile. I've never heard an instrument that can sound as varied in expression.

BTW: Shrovetide Faire, o0  

nechuroo

liebestraume

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:04 pm
I tried playing it. Hurt my back really bad, and I couldn't play augmented triads razz  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:38 pm
Hehe biggrin it's really important that the straps are adjusted right, and posture is sort of a technique in itself. The height of the chair matters too, due to the angle of ones legs (that the accordion is resting on).

How did you feel about the bass side? smile  

nechuroo

`Kel`
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:25 am
I love the accordian in Classical. It's so unique, thats one thing I really like about some instruments. Their just different. Uniqueness is what drew me to the oboe I think.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:32 pm
nechuroo
Hehe biggrin it's really important that the straps are adjusted right, and posture is sort of a technique in itself. The height of the chair matters too, due to the angle of ones legs (that the accordion is resting on).

How did you feel about the bass side? smile

I hated it! The fifths thing was a breeze, but if I started on C, doing an Oom-pah-pah rhythm with the major chord button, all was well and good. But when I was doing an alberti Bass, I kept hitting G major instead of G. That was the most annoying of my 300+ errors on the left hand, hahaha...  

liebestraume

Classical Musicians Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff