Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
"In God We Trust" License Plates

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Should states have "In God We Trust" license plates?
  Yes
  No
  Cheesecake
View Results

Kitsune Tokala

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:43 am
So Indiana offers two free license plates - the standard blue and one with "In God We Trust" emblazoned on it. It also offers a variety of other plates, Environment, Colleges, Kids First, etc... for a 29$ specialty plate fee and 30$ donation to whatever cause the plate supports. Now, I don't mind that there's a religious plate. Fine, whatever. But why do I have to pay 29$ specialty plate fee for my environment plate when theirs is free?

AND it gets worse. My Sister-In-Law recently went to get a plate for her new car and she was denied a regular plate because they were out. She HAD to get a God plate or come back in three weeks, wait in line and see if they had more. So she said she'd wait but asked if they could write her a note explaining why she was driving on an expired plate in case she got stopped. They said they wouldn't because she could by a plate right then if she wanted. Even when she pointed out that the plate didn't reflect her beliefs and that she felt it was belligerent to atheist and agnostic Hoosiers the manager of the BMV stated... get this.... that the feelings of people who don't hold god in their heart don't matter. Oh how I wish she had a tape recorder or something. This has me so angry!

I know "In God We Trust" is on US money, and that's how they were able to make the license plates. But the intention of the plates is obviously to show that the driver is a theist. Which is fine, whatever. You want to show the world you love Jesus. But why should my tax dollars go to producing a plate for you to proclaim this? Why not charge a specialty plate fee?

So, what do you all think about this? Are similar things happening in other states?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:30 pm
User Image

I'm co-admin of a Facebook group about this, though activity has been dead lately.

I have no problem with these plates being available for a fee, so long as atheist/agnostic/freethinking/intellectual plates are also available for a fee. I understand that "in God we trust" is the national motto, but that was slipped in as the official motto in the 1950s, around the time "under God" was added into the pledge of allegiance (they wanted to show that the US was different from commie countries so they threw as many religious references into official policy as possible, which is most likely why so many people falsely think this is a Christian nation, having grown up in that sort of post-war anti-commie environment). Personally I think "E Pluribus Unum" is a much more fitting motto for the US and espouses the ideals of the Founding Fathers, whereas "in God we trust" comes flatly against them.

As for this manager's reaction, if I were your sister-in-law, I would most assuredly locate contact information for his boss and file a formal complaint. If that did not work, I would keep working my way up as far as was reasonable. That sort of retort is unacceptable and unprofessional.

User Image  

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100

Slimy Hats

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:27 pm
Woah, lame. It's not lame that they have "In God We Trust" on license plates. It'd be cool if they had ones that said "In God We Don't Trust" or "In FSM We Trust" or something, but everyone knows that's gonna happen.

It is lame that you have to pay to get one that doesn't say that on it. It seems like we're making a mountain out of a molehill (if people even use that term any more), but they really should be more considerate of others' beliefs.
It's also lame that someone working there could say snide comments like that without getting fired. Your sister-in-law really should go talk to his manager or something. People shouldn't be allowed to get away with that kind of crap.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:02 pm
I don't agree with the license plates being free of charge... their should be a fee on it juts like any other special plate. Also, the attitude towards your sister-in-law is just... wow... I would've been very angry...
Even if it's like reported, they can simply deny it.. If only it was like recorded or something. X_x  

D i v i n i t y

Tipsy Prophet

7,075 Points
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Millionaire 200

Kitsune Tokala

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:43 am
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. It would be neat to have one that was for freethinkers. I kinda think the plate fee is a good idea because it pays for the development of specialty plates, their manufacture etc... I just don't want to fund someone else's religious proclamations with my tax money. And what I will never understand... if your Christian, great fine. Whatever, but why do you feel the need to show it with your car? Isn't that a bit tacky? To do that with a belief that is supposidly so near and dear to your heart. I don't get it.

Anyway.... I tried to get my SIL to go to the ACLU, but she doesn't want to make a big deal about it. If it were me, I totally would have.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:21 am
Well you could set them up. Someone like that needs to know that they just can't do that in the workplace. Outside is fine, but that is totally unprofessional. Take a tape recorder and get it on tape and file a complaint. Or let it alone. Doesn't really matter. Someone will eventually say something to him or his manager. (at least I would hope so.)  

PathlessPlot

Slimy Hats

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:40 pm
Tape recorder might be a bad idea, actually. I don't know if it's just in my state, or if my biology teacher was just making stuff up, but she said that it's illegal to record someone without their consent.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:38 am
Gold. And on some luxury vehicles, people should be able to change it to "In Gucci we trust".

If Church (sort of) and state can mix for a brief moment on a state endorsed license plate, then other absurd words should be allowed too.

...goldfish.  

Pilfer von Durem

Apocalyptic Slayer

16,700 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Survivor 150

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:13 am
"In God we trust" is supposedly our national motto.

It's not favoritism for religion on any scale it hasn't been before.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:09 am
It is favoritism for theism.  

Pilfer von Durem

Apocalyptic Slayer

16,700 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Vicious Spirit 250
  • Survivor 150

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:38 pm
You're sister would be doing other people a favor by reporting that individual DMV, and working her way to the top until something is done.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:36 pm
Your sister really should report that person to the DMV higher uppers.

And.
Couldn't she just get the lisence plate, then scratch off the "In God We Trust" part with a butter knife or something?
Or better yet.

Get it.
Use it temporarily.
"Lose" it.
Then get one without the message when they become available.  

[The Looney Bin]

Daffodil the Destroyer

Salty Bilge rat

44,725 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Team Carl 200
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:39 am
Tenth Speed Writer
"In God we trust" is supposedly our national motto.

It's not favoritism for religion on any scale it hasn't been before.
User Image

*points at post that already addressed this*

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:29 pm
I don't really care about it being on the license plate, the only thing that strikes me is what the manager said that was uncalled for. I hope he/she got seriously reprimanded for that.

Virginia hasn't done anything like that. Although, I don't spend a lot of time or effort looking at license plates so I'm not 100% sure if I'm right or not.  

Arios V

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:29 am
Read, friends:
If someone wants a license plate with a religious phrase on it, cool. But I also feel that if I wanted a non-religious license plate on my car, I should be obligated to it as well.
-L.A.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff