Showtunes, anyone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:41 am
I've seen quite a few people around the guild like showtunes (musical music), so I decided to start a thread. I, quite honestly, am obssessed with too many musicals to count. My core favorites are Wicked, Rent, Les Mis, and Little Shop of Horrors. I am newly in love with the music from Into the Woods. My favorite song ever is Defying Gravity, although there are some close competitors. Do you guys have any favorite showtunes songs or favorite musicals? There are some really great ones out there!  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:13 pm
AHHHH, MUSICALS! heart

I saw Wicked, and I'm actually going to see it again. The music seems so much better after you see it.

Sweeney Todd... oh, my gosh... I was obsessed with Tim Burton's version for a long time. I still like it, but not as much. Hah.

The Phantom of The Opera. LOVE. My favorite! Hopefully I'll see it on broadway some day...

Rent is pretty good and Music Man.

Wizard of Oz. Great one, too.

Sound of Music. I've never seen it, but I've heard some of the music and it's pretty good.

There's Once More With Feeling. Which is like a cheesy Buffy musical... that's only on video. Haha, I love Buffy The Vampire Slayer.  

Collote
Crew

JaelValentine

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:19 pm
I'm not big on musicals, but there are a few that I like.

I had to sing "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess for my voice class last year. Yikes. Beautiful song, but the range is sooo high.

My best friend knows the new Sweeney Todd soundtrack by heart!

My favorite show tune ever is "The Impossible Dream" from Man of La Mancha (Don Quixote). Luther Vandross' version is the best.

There's also a virtually unknown musical called The Merry Widow. It's got really great music, and the script is ridiculously entertaining smile .  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:16 am
ooooh yay! i totally heart heart heart musicals but apparently they annoy the rest of my immediate family... (whatever!) anywayz i def. have some favorites

my current obsession-OKLAHOMA (it's this years school musical, and i'm in the pit, so i get to hear the music and random lyrics provided by my conductor that are completely random and hysterical!) a funny part about this musical is the accent, not to be mean, but from our point of view it's incredibly southern, and exaggerated
it's incredibly "hokey" as he calls it, i prefer "cheesy" but it has some of the most upbeat songs i've ever heard.
~the obvious "oklahoma!"
~"the farmer and the cowman (should be friends)" is really witty, just a bunch of ranchers and farmers making light-hearted fun of each other
~"cain't say no" funny song about a girl who always flirts and can't seem to resist kissing guys, even if they've just met
~even "pore jud is daid" is rather upbeat, considering it's about how people would react if jud dies, jud actually sings this with his rival, the lyrics are so hysterical.....

other faves
~anything from sound of music or my fair lady (went through a phase abt ten years ago when thats all i would watch)
~seasons of love, light my candle (RENT!)
~to life! fiddler on the roof, was a musical at school a few years back, some of my friends were in that scene, and i just love it because they got so into it and i could have sworn they were really drunk, they were all breathing hard, their eyes were huge and their faces red......so yea, if it wasn't for the find memories, i'd nvr have liked it
~hello dolly is a good one too.......
~annie is a classic......
~the lion king, who doesn't know "hakuna matata"? my friends and i will just burst into it randomly
~the king and i is really very sweet......

sry abt the length, memories keep showing up and i'm reminscing.....does anyone else here do the same? i mean u here a song from a musical and u just zone out remebering something u associate with it?  

AmenthystMoon

penandpaper67
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:18 am
I have a new semi-favorite! The music from Aida is really good, although I haven't seen the show. I'm listening to "My Strongest Suit" right now (I love that song!). And I'm going to see Chorus Line tonight... Oh yeah, I've heard some of the music from Oklahoma, but I really don't like it much. I mean, "Oklahoma" is okay, but the rest just rely on the lyrics; the actual music is not that great in my opinion.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:12 pm
penandpaper67
I have a new semi-favorite! The music from Aida is really good, although I haven't seen the show. I'm listening to "My Strongest Suit" right now (I love that song!). And I'm going to see Chorus Line tonight... Oh yeah, I've heard some of the music from Oklahoma, but I really don't like it much. I mean, "Oklahoma" is okay, but the rest just rely on the lyrics; the actual music is not that great in my opinion.

heck, i'm playing music! i know the music is dull, the fact that my friend is "jud" is relly the only reason i made it a point to listen to the music, rather than just play it. the music is "hokey" as my conductor calls it, and it is, not really very original, the whole concept is rather clichêd, but all the same........

hey do disney movies count as "musicals"? the classics are great, beauty and the ebast, cinderella, mary poppins, now a broadway hit, tarzan, the littel mermaid another new musical  

AmenthystMoon

hauu13

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:11 pm
I have several favorite musicals:
West Side Story-I know half the songs by heart! And I almost constantly have either the song "America", "I Feel Pretty", or "Cool" playing in my head.
Wizard of Oz- My favorite song is "If I Only Had a Brain". And who doesn't like flying monkeys?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:38 am
I'm listening to The Producers right now, and I had completely forgotten about this one. It's really entertaining. I'm listening to Betrayed at the moment, which is probably the most amusing song in the whole thing... I love the music from this musical! Not so much the actual melodies and such, but the lyrics are HILARIOUS!  

penandpaper67
Captain

Ismira87

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:22 pm
Day: 5 Contest: 5

I absolutely love musicals! Some of my top ones include Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat, The Sound of Music, Chicago, The Phantom of the Opera, Roger and Hammerstien's Cinderella, and Les Miserables.

However I collect soundtracks, so yeah... right now, I'm working on old Disney movies. So far I've got Pocahontas, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame...

In other categories though I have a lot more! I have about 15 or so entire soundtracks total... I hope to get much more though.  
PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:43 pm
You see before you a man infatuate with love
her humble and eager slave.
I would like a little trim, Sir Todd
and your finest cologne, Sir Todd
but first I think... a shave...

Lyrics may be wrong, but who cares? biggrin  

Celestial Bard

4,450 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Statustician 100
  • Autobiographer 200

KylaiaJmaa

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 9:02 pm
WICKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:20 pm
Derp, musicals.

All-time favorite is RENT, with Wicked being a close second. I've seen a lot more than the average person, but those two are the ones worth mentioning.

Hey, speaking of musicals, I'm seeing Spring Awakening tomorrow, cool.

I've wanted to see Avenue Q since forever, though.  

irock708

Hunnin

Codebreaking Prophet

8,850 Points
  • PvP 200
  • Wall Street 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:59 pm
Les Miserables- loved it "Master of the House
Sweeny Todd- who wouldn't love the wonderfully morbi "A Little Priest"?
Phantom of the Opera- amazing "Music of the Night
Avenue Q- what's the internet for again children? blaugh
Fiddler on the Roof- "If I Were A Rich Man"
Grease- "You're the One I Want"
Hairspray- "Ladies' Choice"
Rocky Horror Picture Show- "Time Warp"
Mary Poppins- "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"
and a few others. mrgreen  
Music

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash