Welcome to Gaia! ::

GGN Moderators' Guild - NOW OPEN

Back to Guilds

We are a guild of Captains, Vice Captains, and Crew helping out those of similar rank in need and working with developers to improve guilds. 

Tags: Captain, Vice Captain, Crew 

Reply Resources & Discussion
It's a simple thing, really... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:31 pm
Those of you not in the US can go right ahead and ignore this. Or you can stick around and laugh at how poorly educated we are.

Okay. I am sick and tired of students asking me this question. So for those of you that are uncertain on this issue, let me set you straight.

Yes, Rhode Island is part of the United States. It was one of the original thirteen in fact. No, New England is not overseas. Basic geography, people. And for the last time I don't have anything near like a British accent. I use Standard American English and just happen to enunciate properly while I'm in an educational setting.

[/rant]

*cough* Sorry. Just had to get that off my chest. When I'm having the highest of the high school honours class students ask me these same questions after learning where I am from, I just get a little annoyed. Can you really blame me?  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:32 pm
No, I know what you mean....

You know how people in the south have that southern like accent...?
Well, I went down there from Washington state, and they said I have an
accent gonk !

I would kinda like a british accent, that would be cool mrgreen

pheonix20222

churrlo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:49 pm
Dude not that bad memory. Check out this D:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Is Chicago in Illinois? No?? Then is it in California?
Is Latin America a country?
Why doesn't Mexico just... JOIN our continent!?
Is Harvard in Europe?
Is Louisville a state?
Auschwitz, is that a summer camp?!
What's the capital of Europe?
*holding a map of Europe* WHICH WAY DOES THE MAP GO?!
Catholics aren't Christians!
IX?! I thought you said 9!
If you get a heart transplant, do you inherit that persons traits?
MVP? Most Valuable Player? Is there an LVP?
Is Green Bay a state?
Is an underground river like... a lake?

Just a few. This was my grade, ACTUAL QUOTES. They were dead serious D: God save us from the future.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:15 pm
rofl rofl rofl  

pheonix20222

churrlo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:47 pm
Now you know why sometimes I have a short fuse xd I had to deal with THAT for 4 years razz

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:51 pm
... i don't think any American's sound British.  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:18 pm
Oh, I get the Catholics aren't Christians one all the time. But then, I do currently live in bible thumper territory.

@pheonix20222: You think that's bad? When I moved to California, they put me in a speech class cause they couldn't even understand me. Now, I can guarantee you any proper New Englander could have understood me perfectly. rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:03 am
Lol, I dont think I ever met someone with a natural english acsent like
that... I guess in movies, but not real life..

pheonix20222

churrlo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:10 pm
Memory, I live in Kentucky. Big bible-thumpers here xd I HATE THEM D< *goes into a mental rant*

People get confused when I say "room" because I pronounce it "rum" cause I'm northerner razz

But I throw in their face how I never know if they are saying "hell" "hail" or "Hey ya'll" when they speak D< Damned Southerners!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:55 am
I have lived all my life in the Greater Cincinnati area, along the Ohio River and just north of Kentucky. I had a friend tell me last week, and she's from Cleveland, that I have a southern accent.

To be honest, they are just dialect differentiations. The Brits have a certain way of speaking, but even they have different Dialections- like cockney is their equivalent to a southern drawl.

I have to admit that I pick on area dialects easily. I went to Boston many years ago for a week. The 2nd day there, someone asked me if I went to school there with him because I looked and sounded just like someone he knew. My accent was dead-on. I get that from my mom. Her family was from Brooklyn NY and my Dad was from the Bronx. Mom was born in Cincinnati and lived here her entire life, and I never noticed that Dad had a typical NY accent/dialect. But everyone around us could tell, and when mom got excited, she sounded just like she got off a plane from NY. I can pick up dialects from all over the world. That's weird, and kind of fun- makes it easier for people to understand me and for me to understand them.  

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

mamarita

Generous Guildswoman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:58 am
I do have a question- if Catholics- the original Christians btw, aren't Christian, what are they? I thought the definition of a Christian was someone who followed the teachings of Jesus and believed him to be the messiah. If that is the case, what does that make Catholics, Baptists, Presbyterians, Methodists,Wesleyans and all the other Protestant factions??? OK I know Catholics are far from Protestant faction, but by definition, they are Christian,

Now we Jewish people, we are not Christians. Sorry to inform the uninformed, but nope- we don't fall into that catagory- In fact, hate to remind everyone- Jesus was born, raised, and died JEWISH!!! He was not the first Christian..... How could he be a follower of his own teachings? duh rolleyes

The first Christians were actually the 12 disciples!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:44 pm
Rita is quite correct about accents here.

I'm from Suffolk, which has a ... bumpkin accent but mine isn't like most peoples around here. It's hard to explain. My father was from Yorkshire, up North and he had a thick accent.

PL  

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200

churrlo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:56 pm
Rita I wish I could pick up accents, sounds fun xd My boyfriend has a knack at that... and now he's getting a southern accent gonk OH GOD ;_;

And about the religion, some Protestants seem to think that Catholics are not Christians, they're Catholics. And I asked them if what they were, and they said they were Christians D: I think they're just stupid xd *roffles* Honestly :3 They're one in the same, Christians and Catholics, although there are many varying religions xd  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:08 pm
We're damned to hell, that's what we Catholics are. And heaven forbid one of us actually run for office. stare Everyone will be ruled by the pope! stare Sorry. I've gotten this quite a bit. It's rather annoying.

Accents are fun. I've never been much good with them, myself, but I can recognize a decent amount. One of my favourite british ones is Welsh. heart But then, I've had a soft spot for the Welsh for a long time, lol...  

MemoryDragon

Witty Lunatic

Pilotslover

Seeker

12,050 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:48 am
MemoryDragon
We're damned to hell, that's what we Catholics are. And heaven forbid one of us actually run for office. stare Everyone will be ruled by the pope! stare Sorry. I've gotten this quite a bit. It's rather annoying.

Accents are fun. I've never been much good with them, myself, but I can recognize a decent amount. One of my favourite british ones is Welsh. heart But then, I've had a soft spot for the Welsh for a long time, lol...

*donk* Welsh isn't a British accent. Welsh is Welsh. Wales, Scotland and N. Ireland are part of the United Kingdom with England/Britain. It's a common misconception with people from outside the UK. My favorite British accent is the Yorkshire one.

PL  
Resources & Discussion

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces