Welcome to Gaia! ::

Craftin' - A sewing, knitting and glue kind of place.

Back to Guilds

Reply Craftin'
Knitted Felt

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Jennivieve

Peaceful Nerd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:00 am
Does anyone know if you can felt acrylic yarn? If so, any suggestions on how to do so?  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:38 pm
As far as i know, you have to use some percentage wool. I know that if it says that its machine washable, it won't work.  

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200

Catcheen
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:52 pm
Acrylic is plastic. Plastic will not felt. Plastic will melt, though!

Wool felts because it's hair. Hair that has barbs. When you felt, you're opening those barbs, agitating and locking them together, and closing the barbs in the cold water rinse. Alpaca, angora, mohair, and wool will all felt.

Cotton, bamboo, soy, those are all plant materials and will not felt. Silk is an animal material, but not hair. Silk also will not felt.

You need at least 80% wool to get a decent felt going. Between 50% and 80% will only give you a partial felt. Anything less might not show any noticeable difference.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:54 pm
kochi~mochi
As far as i know, you have to use some percentage wool. I know that if it says that its machine washable, it won't work.

Yes, superwash wool has been treated with a chemical that burns off the barbs thus preventing any felting. This type of wool is safe for machine washing.  

Catcheen
Crew

Supertheory

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 5:12 pm
It won't, but acrylic yarn is icky anyways.  
Craftin'

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games