Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
What's with the fish? Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bowmore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:03 pm
Okay, so sometimes I see that little Jesus fish on the backs of cars. I remember hearing from someone that it was used as a secret symbol to identify homes of Christians back when they were persecuted, and now it's just a symbol of Christianity...

...but why a fish? Anybody else know anything about its history?  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:40 pm
Cause Jesus was a fisherman?  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

puresilver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:00 pm
Dathu

He was a carpender. They should have use a nail or something.

That fish thing is a good question, though I can't think of a time when the christians were prosecuted as a whole, just their factions prosecuting each other.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:15 pm
Dathu

When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harversters of the sea,
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman.  

The Amazing Mr. Tommyos!

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:23 pm
puresilver
Dathu

That fish thing is a good question, though I can't think of a time when the christians were prosecuted as a whole, just their factions prosecuting each other.

eek ...The Romans?

Maybe it's the 'fisher of men' analogy thing.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:23 pm
puresilver
Dathu

Like the ones used to nail him to the cross. xd  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:01 pm
I've been told that it's their secret code. The Romans persecuted Christians, so the Christians had to do all their meetings in secret, and they'd have half of the fish symbol drawn out. Other Christians would know what it means and complete it.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:58 pm
I've seen those on cars too... for me when i drive they'd be like ... bullseye so i know who i should hit. lol...  

E_Night

MightyHikaru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:07 pm
Uh, maybe it's because he multiplied all those fish. But in that case, they'd have to have bread versions of the jesus sticker too.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:08 pm
Bowmore
Okay, so sometimes I see that little Jesus fish on the backs of cars. I remember hearing from someone that it was used as a secret symbol to identify homes of Christians back when they were persecuted, and now it's just a symbol of Christianity...

...but why a fish? Anybody else know anything about its history?

I don't remember the story, but there is a part within the bible were Jesus either 1) gives fish to the starving or 2) produces fish for the starving. Or something to that effect, I wish I could remember. I'll look it up on wikipedia and post the results later.

On a side note, I have a fish with legs that reads "Darwin" on my car ^.^  

Orichalcon

MightyHikaru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:26 am
Orichalcon
I don't remember the story, but there is a part within the bible were Jesus either 1) gives fish to the starving or 2) produces fish for the starving. Or something to that effect, I wish I could remember. I'll look it up on wikipedia and post the results later.

He takes like 3 fish and 3 breads and multiplies them to feed a hundred people. Or made a hundred fish and a hundred breads. Whichever.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:37 am
In the bible Jesus tells his deciples to be 'fishermen of men'. Meaning to go and preach to people and catch them in their nets... bring them into Christianity. I'm guess it has something to do with that, but hey I'm just a Sunday school queen.  

Merciless Darkness

Orichalcon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 12:05 pm
MightyHikaru
Orichalcon

He takes like 3 fish and 3 breads and multiplies them to feed a hundred people. Or made a hundred fish and a hundred breads. Whichever.

Yeah, that's it. Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:39 pm
Orichalcon
MightyHikaru
Orichalcon

Yeah, that's it. Thanks
many breads? ok dude you were like... the grammer king and thats like... not grammerific... loaves of bread? and people believe he produced stuff? ok... stare  

E_Night

MightyHikaru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 5:44 pm
E_Night
many breads? ok dude you were like... the grammer king and thats like... not grammerific... loaves of bread? and people believe he produced stuff? ok... stare

Um... I'm not sure if I got that. You're saying I mispelled bread? I never use that word very much in english, give me a break. rolleyes  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff